Newbie question about shopping

legalsec

Where is the best area to shop in St. Thomas and how far is it from the dock? We wanted to do the beach first and then get in some shopping. Only in port from 11 -6 so time is somewhat limited. Am curious if I can just grab a taxi to and from the beach and then get some shopping in..but I'd feel more comfortable being close to the dock. Thanks.

There is a shopping centre at the Havensight pier where you can get most everything. However, if you are on Holland America or Princess you will be at Crown Bay pier and there is limited shopping there. In any event for the full shopping experience you should take a cab before or after the beach to the downtown.

NCL docks at Havensight. If you're in port from 11 to 6, and want to go to beach first, you may only have no more than 2 hours for shopping. It would probably be better for you to shop at the dock at Havensight, so you won't have to worry about getting back to the ship.

It helps to have an idea of what you want when you dock, that way, a stop at the Welcome Center at Havensight should help you find what you're looking for.

Downtown shopping is much better then Havensight. It isn't a long cab ride, and when the ships are at port, it'sloaded with cruisers, (so your not going "out of the way" to shop there). My favorite place to jewellery shop!

Happy cruising!

Kim.

• 2 years later...

I am doing a shopping/beach excursion and will be shopping in Charlotte Amalie. I only have 2 hours and would like to make the most of my shopping trip. I'm particularly looking for jewelry. Can anyone recommend a good jewelry store that I can trust? Thanks!

I am doing a shopping/beach excursion and will be shopping in Charlotte Amalie. I only have 2 hours and would like to make the most of my shopping trip. I'm particularly looking for jewelry. Can anyone recommend a good jewelry store that I can trust? Thanks!

I would highly recommend Grand Jewelers. I have been buying jewelry from them for years. They are very fair and my insurance company accepted their appraisals. (which is a lot more than what I paid) I have a gorgeous blue and diamond square 18 kt ring that I absolutely love. So many compliments. I also bought a 1.5 center diamond engagement ring with 1.5 channel set in 18 kt white gold. Stunning....Diamond hoops, etc. I have never been disappointed. Ask for Jacky...he is one of the owners...tell him I sent you....and no I don't get a commission....sure wish I did....

I would suggest doing your shopping downtown, in Charlotte Amalie. The area by the dock, Havensight, is just...........well.........stores. Downtown is much more interesting. You get a good "feel" of being in St. Thomas.

Archived