Question about "formal" night

Wondering what the typical dress is on formal night for teens/tweens, especially boys. My DH will wear a suit, myself & Dh a dress but what about the 12 & 18y/o "boys", what is considered proper? They don't even own a sport coat, would a shirt, kahkis and perhaps a tie be enough or too much considering age.

Wondering what the typical dress is on formal night for teens/tweens, especially boys. My DH will wear a suit, myself & Dh a dress but what about the 12 & 18y/o "boys", what is considered proper? They don't even own a sport coat, would a shirt, kahkis and perhaps a tie be enough or too much considering age.

The dress code is the same for people that age. You certainly could get away with what you described, but it would be dressing down. I would definitely include a tie with what you described. For the 18 year old, he likely will need a suit for upcoming occasions (i.e. job or college interviews, funderals, weddings etc). This may be a good time to purchase one. As 12 year olds are still growing fast and are less likely to need a suit for other occasions, I can see why you would not want to go through the expense/hassle for obtaining him a suit.

Run away from here. You'll get "sounds fine" to "buy a coat" to "MUST WEAR TUXEDO" responses.

What you've described sounds fine.

Honestly, for Royal Caribbean, IN the Caribbean, I think that your idea of having the boys in pants, shirt, and a necktie is just fine. Buying sport coats for them would be expensive, and you know the 12-year-old will soon outgrow it. Maybe the 18-year old might get more use from a jacket later on for other occasions or job interviews....

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

The dress code doesn't make age distinctions, so if you're really asking what is "considered proper", it's the same as for your husband.

If you're asking whether RCI will allow them to wear that, the answer is yes, almost certainly. If you're asking if the majority of the passengers will care, the answer is no.

Honestly, for Royal Caribbean, IN the Caribbean, I think that your idea of having the boys in pants, shirt, and a necktie is just fine. Buying sport coats for them would be expensive, and you know the 12-year-old will soon outgrow it. Maybe the 18-year old might get more use from a jacket later on for other occasions or job interviews....

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

I agree - most of the teen boys on RCI cruises in the Caribbean wear pants, shirt and tie on formal night. Your boys will fit right in. No worries.

My 3 teens always wear suits. Daughter, a very nice dress. It's formal night, not casual night. That's just our family! If you do not want to do suits or tuxes for your boy's, a sport coat would do great.

Happy Cruising :D

This was my kids, son is 19 and daughter is 21. There were about the norm for our cruise.

IMG_2933-1.jpg

Sue... your son looks like he's a real heartbreaker... I've got an adorable cousin about his age...:)

Your children look very nicely (and appropriately) dressed...

I have my pumpkin seeds roasting can I join you???:D:D:p

I have more pumpkin seeds that you can imagine. We went to a pumpkin carving party, and we took the seeds from all 20 or so pumpkins. lol. We have them coming out of our ears. But they are so tasty.

Sue... your son looks like he's a real heartbreaker... I've got an adorable cousin about his age...:)

Your children look very nicely (and appropriately) dressed...

Thanks Amy, most of his friends are girls. Every picture he sends me from college is him and like 5-10 girls. :D And they are both great kids too!!

Run away from here. You'll get "sounds fine" to "buy a coat" to "MUST WEAR TUXEDO" responses.

What you've described sounds fine.

Interesting; you seem to be saying listen to me but not anybody else. Why is your opinion "correct" especially when it is not within the suggested dress cose the cruise line itself recommends?

Funny how the only controvertial post on this thread so far is by a person claiming that the OP will receive controvertial posts. :)

I have more pumpkin seeds that you can imagine. We went to a pumpkin carving party, and we took the seeds from all 20 or so pumpkins. lol. We have them coming out of our ears. But they are so tasty.

Save some for me!

Ever wash it down with alittle gatorade?

Buying sport coats for them would be expensive, and you know the 12-year-old will soon outgrow it. Maybe the 18-year old might get more use from a jacket later on for other occasions or job interviews....

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

Not that expensive.......

You just have to know where to shop. Sears had adult and kids sport coats on sale for $40 last week. I would have picked one up if they had my size. They had 2 one size smaller and 3 one size bigger. GRRRRR!!! You should be able to get some good deals from Thanksgiving through the end of the year at most clothing stores.

I've got a ton of candy here for trick or treaters but I don't think I'm going to see that many here tonight... I always buy too much anyway... so I'm happy to share:)

This begs the question... how do you dress for a formal night that happens to land on Halloween???? I'm assuming that my hobo costume would be a no-go....

Interesting; you seem to be saying listen to me but not anybody else. Why is your opinion "correct" especially when it is not within the suggested dress cose the cruise line itself recommends?

Funny how the only controvertial post on this thread so far is by a person claiming that the OP will receive controvertial posts. :)

I stated my predictions.

I then stated my opinion which was in my prediction.

... and gosh darn it... by the time I read my post and other replies... my predictions came to fruition.

I'll gladly take a bullet to be the only controversy here as long as the OP can walk away unscathed.

I stated my predictions.

... and gosh darn it... by the time I read my post and other replies... my predictions came to fruition.

I'll gladly take a bullet to be the only controversy here as long as the OP can walk away unscathed.

dak:

don't take candy from strangers... and don't drink the Kool-Aid!:)

Surely you knew that someone would have to take one for the team?

I stated my predictions.

You do have a clever signature. :)

You seem to wash everything down with gatorade. lol. Are you still gonna sneak it on the ship, perhaps hide it in your tux?

I just bought a new tux for my wedding. I made sure to buy one with some inside pockets of sufficient size for smuggling gatorade. Never know when you'll need it! :cool:

I just bought a new tux for my wedding. I made sure to buy one with some inside pockets of sufficient size for smuggling gatorade. Never know when you'll need it! :cool:

lol. You might get dry mouth during your wedding, depending on how much you drink the night before. So be sure to put some gatorade in those pockets. Oh, and congratulations on the wedding.

Archived