london transfers

smcg

OK, ressies are set

air france (delta) into heathrow (price was WAY lower than everyone else, nonstop too)

staying at hilton green park

our flight arrives thurs a.m. and we have to go from heathrow to hilton. 3 people, 4 pieces of luggage plus carry ons. there's go shuttle that was $125. how direct would a train be?

then on monday the 18th we go from the hilton to dover port.

on the 30th from dover port to somewhere to stay overnight

the 31st flight leaves 5:15pm from heathrow

so much simpler in the states!!

sheree

The most direct way would be to take the underground from Heathrow - according to their website the hotel is 5 minutes walk from Green Park station.

The fastest, by far, would be to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington (only 15 minutes, versus 45-60 minutes by underground or taxi), then either take the underground to Green Park (changing at Baker St) or a taxi from Paddington.

The shuttle would be probably the most convenient, but remember traffic is unpredictable, and if you get a bad morning it could take well over an hour.

I personally would take the underground, but that's because I've done it so often before.

The fastest, by far, would be to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington (only 15 minutes, versus 45-60 minutes by underground or taxi), then either take the underground to Green Park (changing at Baker St) or a taxi from Paddington.
There are a number of things in favour of the Heathrow Express over the Underground, but this time factor is not really one of them.

The Tube should be about 45 minutes of actual travel, plus waiting time for the next train (rarely more than 5 minutes). The Heathrow Express is 15 minutes of actual travel, plus up to 15 minutes of waiting for the next train. When you add the time it would take to get from Paddington to the hotel by taxi (or another Tube journey), the Heathrow Express is likely to be no faster - and may even be slower - than just doing it on the Tube.

However, the Tube is not really suitable for those who have a lot of heavy luggage which they cannot lift and carry and climb stairs with.

Guess for two old bodies with a suitcase and carry-on each, the best bet is to NOT try and navigate the train system in London? We have booked the Premier Inn at County Hall and the most economical solution I've found so far has been dot2dot - from the airport right to the hotel and round trips can be purchased in advance online. Would this be the recommendation of those who have done this?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Dot

There are a number of things in favour of the Heathrow Express over the Underground, but this time factor is not really one of them.

The Tube should be about 45 minutes of actual travel, plus waiting time for the next train (rarely more than 5 minutes). The Heathrow Express is 15 minutes of actual travel, plus up to 15 minutes of waiting for the next train. When you add the time it would take to get from Paddington to the hotel by taxi (or another Tube journey), the Heathrow Express is likely to be no faster - and may even be slower - than just doing it on the Tube.

However, the Tube is not really suitable for those who have a lot of heavy luggage which they cannot lift and carry and climb stairs with.

That's very true - the basic travel time is shorter by HE, but travel time between Paddington and the hotel would add a lot. But don't forget the time it actually takes to walk to the tube station at Heathrow - it seems to take forever!

As for the luggage thing, it's actually fairly easy on the Heathrow side since you can take your luggage carts right up to the station entrance, but is harder on the London side depending on the facilities at your destination station. I see that on the tube map on the London Transport website indicates a number of wheelchair-accessible stations - do they have lifts now? I know that some stations on the Picadilly line do have lifts - I seem to remember Russell Square, or maybe it was Covent Garden, had them because the Picadilly line was so deep underground it was more practical.

That's very true - the basic travel time is shorter by HE, but travel time between Paddington and the hotel would add a lot. But don't forget the time it actually takes to walk to the tube station at Heathrow - it seems to take forever!

As for the luggage thing, it's actually fairly easy on the Heathrow side since you can take your luggage carts right up to the station entrance, but is harder on the London side depending on the facilities at your destination station. I see that on the tube map on the London Transport website indicates a number of wheelchair-accessible stations - do they have lifts now? I know that some stations on the Picadilly line do have lifts - I seem to remember Russell Square, or maybe it was Covent Garden, had them because the Picadilly line was so deep underground it was more practical.

Yep Picadilly is the deepest line and both Russell square and Covent Garden have the cargo-sized lifts! and the disabled icon shows stations with step-free access

I see that on the tube map on the London Transport website indicates a number of wheelchair-accessible stations - do they have lifts now? I know that some stations on the Picadilly line do have lifts - I seem to remember Russell Square, or maybe it was Covent Garden, had them because the Picadilly line was so deep underground it was more practical.
Some stations do now have step-free access to some or all of the platforms, mostly by lift. But these tend to be at stations that have been relatively recently built or renovated. For example, both Covent Garden and Russell Square stations have always had lifts for most of the distance to the surface, but you still have to use stairs and so neither station is step-free. You always have to check the detail.

Step-free access map

Step-free access details

I know transfers by the cruiseline are expensive but let me tell you a story. We went on the Splendor of the Seas 11 years ago and when we returned to Harwich the conveyor unloading the luggage broke down. Due to the delay, only the coaches that were transporting air/sea guests were allowed to leave first so as to not miss any connections in London. Those with flights arranged independantly had to wait to get to London regardless of their arrangements at Heathrow or Gatwick.

Personally, in spite of the price I would think you could purchase transfers from the cruiseline that would arrange to pick you up, take you to the hotel in question, then pick you up and take you to the ship and return to the appropriate airport at the end of your cruise. Yes it is expensive but with the current exchange rate our dollar is only worth approximately 50 cents. I just purchased 150 pounds (for walking around money for our British Isles cruise in July) and it cost $333.00! Europe, this year, is anything but cheap or even reasonable!!!

Thanks for your idea (if it was intended for me!). The problem is - our cruise leaves from ROME!! We are spending a couple of days in London before flying to Rome to break up the long trip from Ontario, Canada!

All our other transfers have been arranged, except for the London ones. I am quite comfortable with the dot2dot service as described on the website. I still have to figure out getting from Gatwick to a heathrow airport hotel for the overnight before we return to Canada!!!

You are so right about the dollar/GBP rate right now - although it has gone down a few points in the last couple of days! 'Can't take it with us',as they say!!

Dot

in addition, you can only do the cruise transfer if you're arriving and/or departing the same day as the cruise.

since we're flying in 4 days early we need to get from london to dover (private car is super expensive)

then we have an overnight in dover/canterbury before heading back to heathrow

since there are 3 of us (although one is a young teen) and 4 pieces of luggage we should be able to handle it but not for long walks.

i need to see if we take a train (HE or otherwise) where that takes us in relation to the green park hilton

same if we do a coach to victoria station. are their taxis?

as for the return I am guessing a taxi or coach from the port to a B&B, then not sure how to get to heathrow without going to london and back to LHR

sheree

I still have to figure out getting from Gatwick to a heathrow airport hotel for the overnight before we return to Canada!!!
This is relatively easy. Simply take the National Express coach from Gatwick to Heathrow, and then get the Hotel Hoppa to your hotel (assuming that it's not one of the on-airport properties).

This is relatively easy. Simply take the National Express coach from Gatwick to Heathrow, and then get the Hotel Hoppa to your hotel (assuming that it's not one of the on-airport properties).

Thanks for your help! I enjoy your posts and the information you share with everyone!

Happy Holidays!

Dot

Now may I ask the best way for two complete novices to find their way around London including get to their hotel? First off we arrive at Gatwick and we are two ladies with a couple of pieces of luggage plus carry-on and purses. OK we are also middle- age so we would like to keep this simple not to mention the fact that we are directionally challenged. I was thinking of using Hotelink Shuttle service to get us to which ever hotel we end up booking. We still are not sure where we will be staying, but are most likely going to try and book through priceline for Mayfair/Soho 4-5 star property and hope for the best. Figure the room could not be too much smaller than the cruise ship. Next step is getting back to Heathrow at the end of our 3 day stay. Do we take the train? Is it so simple anyone can do it? I would prefer to not have to pay outrageous rates for a taxi to the airport. We are on BA and should be going out of their new terminal 5.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vicki

PS If anyone thinks I should not book through Priceline, please tell me now and why. I am a little nervous at doing it this way. We are trying to avoid paying $300-$400 a night for a decent room.

Now may I ask the best way for two complete novices to find their way around London including get to their hotel? *snip* Do we take the train? Is it so simple anyone can do it?

Yes.

The best thing I think for you would be to take the Gatwick Express to Victoria, then a taxi to whatever hotel you end up getting. Then, to get to Heathrow, take a cab to Paddington and take the Heathrow Express. You could go by tube as well, but with 2 suitcases each it would be a bit of a challenge. The short cab rides in Central London won't be that expensive, and will be more convenient - and you get to ride in a handsome cab in London!

Yes.

The best thing I think for you would be to take the Gatwick Express to Victoria, then a taxi to whatever hotel you end up getting. Then, to get to Heathrow, take a cab to Paddington and take the Heathrow Express. You could go by tube as well, but with 2 suitcases each it would be a bit of a challenge. The short cab rides in Central London won't be that expensive, and will be more convenient - and you get to ride in a handsome cab in London!

It's Hansom.

If anyone thinks I should not book through Priceline, please tell me now and why.
I can't add anything to Twickenham's excellent advice.

But on this: there is nothing to worry about, if you are thinking of bidding on Priceline. (The fixed price side of Priceline may offer far smaller discounts than if you're naming your own price.) However, you must do your research before you start bidding. The biggest advice centre is http://www.biddingfortravel.com and the next biggest is probably http://www.betterbidding.com The former site is run by a woman who has a (well-deserved) reputation for being a complete dragon, but the benefit is that there is good discipline and the information is therefore reasonably easy to use. If you use it as a read-only resource, you won't have any problems.

The other piece of advice is to make a back-up booking at a rate that you can cancel without penalty. Priceline rooms are not first-come first-served - you never know when cheap rooms will be available on the site, or at what price they are. So if you bid too early, you may find yourself paying much more than what you could have got the room for if you bid later. There is a significant element of gaming about getting rooms at a good price on Priceline, which is why you must do your research and see what other people have been getting for the time of the year that you're travelling and the period in advance that you're trying to book at.

Hi everyone,

thanks to all the wonderful advice and the complexities of the rail/underground system (to me anyway!) we changed our ressie to the Hilton Paddington. It looks newer and the rooms look nice as well.

It's on the line for the heathrow express or connect and I figure in general getting around.

To get to dover, we will then take the underground to charing cross and the rail to dover (with luggage!) then after the cruise, train to canturbury then have to figure how to get back to LHR

another question though: oyster card is what we figured is best for my self and husband. since son travels free on unground do i still need the photo oyster for him? and i have to get at LHR? i know the oyster doesn't work on the HE, but what about the connect? I figure it won't work once we need to get to dover as well.

i looked at a travelcard and family railcard as well. we'll be in london thurs-sun, leaving mon for dover

you guys are great!!

sheree

... then after the cruise, train to canturbury then have to figure how to get back to LHR
If you can manage the Tube, and you're going straight to LHR from Canterbury, then I would suggest this: train to Victoria, District Line Tube to Barons Court (or Hammersmith if windy or wet), change to Piccadilly Line to Heathrow.
another question though: oyster card is what we figured is best for my self and husband. since son travels free on unground do i still need the photo oyster for him? and i have to get at LHR? i know the oyster doesn't work on the HE, but what about the connect? I figure it won't work once we need to get to dover as well.
You don't say how old your son is. But this page has all the information you need about whether he will need a photocard of some description, and whether he can travel free on the Tube or whether he will also need a ticket - it depends on his age.

Prepay Oyster is not accepted on either the Heathrow Express or the Heathrow Connect, nor on the trains between London and Dover/Canterbury.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have finally made a reservation at the Sumner which looks to be a nice small hotel in the center of London by Marble Arch tube stop. This was number 5 on tripadvisor so I have high hopes that it will be decent. I do not really worry about the size of the room after getting off a ship (Legend of the Seas) where the cabin is only 154 square feet. Looks like we will take the Gatwick Express into London and then a taxi and Heathrow Express back to Heathrow for our return flight. I know our hotel is only 5 minutes from Paddington station so that should be very easy.

Again, thank you for your help and any other tips are always appreciated.

Vicki

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I also found the www.biddingfortravel.com site very useful. After checking the biddingfortravel info and then bidding on Priceline I got 2 rooms for 2 consecutive nights in late May '08 at the Hilton London Olympia for $77 per room per night before fees ($93.235 after tax/fees for a TOTAL of $372.94). That's in USD ----not GBP. The lowest rack rate for those nights on the hotel website was 122 GBP per room per night, which after 17% VAT is added, comes to 142.74 GBP per room per night, so 2 rooms X 2 nights =570.96 GBP then converting to $$ (multiply X 2 tho it's worse than that now) = at least 1141.92 --- compared to $372.94.

This is the first time I've bid for a hotel on Priceline and, as you can see, it worked out well. The only downside is not knowing exactly what hotel you are bidding for ahead of time.

We are traveling out Harwich on the 17 of May an dreturning on the 31. Has anyone heard of or used: FCMBS (First Choice Minibus Services)?

I was quoted a good rate - just want to make sure they are there waiting to pick us up on the 31st.

We are taking the train to the port - but are looking for a driver back to the airport.

Lauri

globaliser:

my son will be 14 at time of travel. i got a photocard app in the mail. asks for a fee yet on the website said no more fees.

for our oysters, on visitbritain.com there's a $25 usd fee for each, any other place to buy them ahead or wait till we get there?

we land in heathrow and taking the train to paddington which I know I can't use it on

thanks

sheree

Archived