President's Week 2009

JillK

Hi Everyone!

I recently started posting on the Princess page for my upcoming cruise and have been helped by so many kind people. Hoping that someone can do same for this query.

We are going to be doing a land-based Florida vacation in February 2009 and I am starting to investigate leaving my two girls with grandma and grandpa so hubby and I can have a nice mini-break on a 4 or 5 night cruise.

I was initially looking at cruises sailing the week of February 8th until a friend suggested that week might be very busy with families as the Friday (Feb 13) is President's Day.

Not that I mind cruising with families, but as this is intented to be a get away from my own little ones, if I can choose between a busy week and a less likely to be busy week, I'd pick the latter!

Can anyone let me know if that would likely be a busy time for cruising with kids?

Being Canadian, I'm not sure what the parameters of President's week are (ie are schools closed that day only, or all week, etc)!

Thanks !!

I was initially looking at cruises sailing the week of February 8th until a friend suggested that week might be very busy with families as the Friday (Feb 13) is President's Day.

President's Day would not be Friday February 13th. It's always the 3rd Monday in February (observed). In 2009 it will be Monday February 16th. A cruise the 1st or 2nd week in February would be fine. It is the ones the 3rd week in February that are packed!

I did the mistake last year for sailing during presidents week- 2009 I will go back to Valentines Day week. We have a cruise critic group heading out on the Crown for "crown" your honey for Valentines Day.

What I learned is-- airfare was more then doubled the price as is the cruise price itself. We had an awful time finding a decent cheap hotel room for our overnight stay. There was over 800 kids onboard. Although we didnt encounter the kids all that much-- its not something I want to pay for again.

Thanks for the advice!

Especially to wrp96 for the correction and clarification! I tried to search it online as I don't have a 2009 calendar handy and that said the 13th (which I did think was odd)! So bottom line is I should choose the first two weeks or the last 23rd.

Thanks again, this makes a big difference and will help make my decision.

Especially to wrp96 for the correction and clarification! I tried to search it online as I don't have a 2009 calendar handy and that said the 13th (which I did think was odd)! So bottom line is I should choose the first two weeks or the last 23rd.

You're from Canada. Nobody expects you to know US Holidays!!:D

I had a great time on my cruise the 2nd week of February this year.

President's Day would not be Friday February 13th. It's always the 3rd Monday in February (observed). In 2009 it will be Monday February 16th. A cruise the 1st or 2nd week in February would be fine. It is the ones the 3rd week in February that are packed!

In our area (Northeast), many schools have off for a long four day weekend (Fri-Mon). So I wouldn't rule it out that the ships will be crowded that weekend. If the OP is planning on doing a short 4-5 night cruise that covers that weekend, I think there will be lots of kids onboard.

I think the OP best bet may be the 5 night Celebrity Century sailing on Feb. 9. That way she should avoid lots of kids, the ship is lovely, and the prices are very reasonable ($approx. 650 pp for a balcony cabin). We loved Century and I think it would be a great escape for the parents.

Thanks JerseyGirl3!

A four or five night cruise is the perfect for the mini-break I had in mind.

I have flexibility on either the first two or last two weeks of the month, and thanks to everyone's advice, am going to pick the first two and cruise the week of Feb 9th.

Much appreciated!

Archived