Anti-mararia pills for Haiti and Jamaica ?

fifty

Does anyone take the prophylactic anti-malaria pills before you visit Haiti and/or Jamaica?

I was looking at CDC and they recommend them for all areas? Just wondering if anyone takes them prior and during the voyage when visiting these ports.

In the past Labadee was an exception to the CDC suggestion and most people on cruises go nowhere near any area requiring malaria protection, especially since they are there during the day. We have used malaria protection for some Central America stops where we spent a large amount of time in deeply shaded areas, ie, the monkey reserve in Belize or other historic sites that require a fairly long exposure to shade and mosquitoes. Most cruisers don't concern themselves about this problem. Also, if you regularly donate blood, you may be excluded from giving for a year if you go to an area that is listed by the CDC as having malaria.

DW and I ahve been to Africa x2, Peru and Belize. Took anti-malaria for 1st Africa trip and regreted it. Didn't like the side effects from them. The treatment for malaria is the same as the prevention. We took the chance and don't take the pills. Haven't had any problems and no side effects. Only thing you have to do is pay attention to yourself after the cruise and if you start coming down with flu like symptoms go to the doctor and tell him/her that you have been in a malaria prone area.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Look, if they are suggested, taking Malarone is hardly a hardship. Although generally not required in Labadee, and because you are not there at night, probably not even an issue.

There are two differen malaria meds on the market - Malarone and Larium. Malarone really has no side effects and is effective. Larium, while effective, has been know to cause psychotic episodes. When I went to South Africa and traveled through the malarium areas, I took Malarone and had no issues. My partner and his family visit the same areas 1-2 times per year and also have no issues. Malarone is generally safe and effective. Based on what I have read, and the suggestion of a good friend who is a prominent neurologoist, I would not take Larium. Malarone on the other hand is like taking any other prevantive medicine.. That said, check with your doctor since I am not one.

I can also recommend Malerone, took it when I wen t jungle trecking in Borneo a few years back. It's not cheap but has no side effects and I wouldn't consider ever taking anything else.

However, there is no need for anti malarials for the purpose of an 8 hour stop on the coast. You have more chance of winning the lottery 10 times over than contracting Malaria!

You will not be going into the interior of those places and you are only there for the day. There is absolutely no need.

Malaria is spread by a mosquito, which is is attracted to stagnant water where it lays its eggs. If you are in an area where the danger for malaria exists, and there happens to be pools of water (in pails, on the ground after a rainstorm, etc.) there is a possibillity that you may encounter thisd insect. If the CDC advises taking medicine for prophylactic measures, listen to them,

By the way, I am a microbiologist and worked in public health for thirty years befor I retired, often closely with the CDC.:rolleyes:

You won't need them. Like the others said, the side effects of those pills are awful. That's not something you would take unless you absolutly needed it. And in the ports, you won't need it.

You talk as if you know more than the CDC, who recommends prophylactic measures in areas where malaria has been reported. Malaria is no fun, and is easily picked up from mosquitos attracted to stagnant water. Malaria is spread from person to person by mosquitos who may suck infected blood from a person from another area, then suck the blood of a previously uninfected person in a different area.:eek:

Whatever the side effects, protect yourself and especially your children. The dosage you and your husband need may not be the same as what your children need -- ask your doctor. Don't just ignore taking medicine because of side effects -- every medication your doctor prescribes for other needs has unwanted side effects. Would you not wear a life jacket because it may be tight? If you or any in your family have a condition that prevents you taking such medicine, he would know what preventive measures you can and should take.

In a previous post, I have indicated I am a microbiologist and have worked in public health for 30 years. I am sorry if I talk a little harsh, but I have seen too much infection from those who ignore established advice.

Look, if they are suggested, taking Malarone is hardly a hardship. Although generally not required in Labadee, and because you are not there at night, probably not even an issue.

There are two differen malaria meds on the market - Malarone and Larium. Malarone really has no side effects and is effective. Larium, while effective, has been know to cause psychotic episodes. When I went to South Africa and traveled through the malarium areas, I took Malarone and had no issues. My partner and his family visit the same areas 1-2 times per year and also have no issues. Malarone is generally safe and effective. Based on what I have read, and the suggestion of a good friend who is a prominent neurologoist, I would not take Larium. Malarone on the other hand is like taking any other prevantive medicine.. That said, check with your doctor since I am not one.

I know so little about malaria, so I found this thread quite interesting. I did look up malaria at the CDC site, and apparently different locations have different strains of malaria, therefore recommendations for which drugs to take are location dependent.

From the CDC:

Drugs to Prevent Malaria (Antimalarial drugs) If you will be visiting a malaria risk area in Jamaica, chloroquine is the recommended antimalarial drug.

Malaria risk area in Jamaica: Outbreak-related risk in Kingston, Jamaica. See travel notice.

Drugs to Prevent Malaria (Antimalarial drugs) If you will be visiting a malaria risk area in Haiti, chloroquine is the recommended antimalarial drug.

Malaria risk area in Haiti: All

It seems that Malarone is being used in areas where malaria has become resistant to Chloroquine. If I were worried about it, I would do some further research to see if these CDC recommendations are in fact current with respect to the recommended drugs. Also you should know that each of these drugs named in this thread can be INAPPROPRIATE for an individual depending upon your medical history and current routine medications. Bottom line, consult a physician who is very knowledgable about infectious diseases. Be sure to tell him/her which medications you take on a regular basis. Not every doctor stays current on this kind of thing.

Since different drugs are not always effective in certain regions, this page at the CDC web site can help you determine the proper drug for where you are going. You can dial in your destination, and it will tell you which drugs are appropriate in that region.

I thought it was worth mentioning.

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationList.aspx

Bottom line, consult a physician who is very knowledgable about infectious diseases. Be sure to tell him/her which medications you take on a regular basis. Not every doctor stays current on this kind of thing.

I agree nrdsb, good advice. The following links expound more on the CDC link specific to anti-malarials as well as Glaxo Smith Kline's consumer link for Malarone. It is important to note that most ALL medicines have potential side effects, some more serious than others. The incident of gastrointestinal side effects are much higher as a therapeutic agent, less common prophylactically. However low, if you are one who may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or headaches; it could be a cruise nuisance. As with all decisions with medications, you and your physician must weigh the benefit/risk ratio which would include consideration of the location, duration, and activities involved with your cruise destination port: Now for these links (I got long winded)

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/yellowBookCh4-Malaria.aspx

http://www.malarone.com/

Keith

"Off" or some other brand of mosquito spray may be helpful as well since it is mosquitos that spread malaria. I would check with your doctor. It could be that you have a medical contraindication to either of the anti-malarials. I haven't looked up interactions but many medications don't mix well either.

Mosquito spray is a great idea as well. If one talks to their doctor and the doctor recommends anti-malarial prophylactics, it doesn't hurt to also use mosquito spray, especially in the Caribbean, as there is also the concern about the Dengue virus which also is endemic to several countries in the Caribbean, and can cause disease as serious as malaria, though there is no vaccine.

Stay safe everyone! No one wants to get sick on a vacation.

Incidentally, sagiv666, I am also a microbiologist! Microbiologists unite!

Archived