Just Returned from the Grandeur Of The Seas

We are a family of five (2 seventeen year olds and a 13 year old) and have been on five prior cruises (this is the third with the kids). We just returned from our most recent cruise six day cruise on the Grandeur Of The Seas, our second on RCCL. Just wanted to take a minute and give you all a review as we have found the info on this board helpful.

Embarkation in Baltimore was fine. We were early 12:30PM, and the ship was late, so we did have to wait for a while. We breezed through the registration process and after a short wait we were on the ship around 1:30PM. The only problem was that our luggage was some of the first ones on, therefore, apparently, the last ones brought up to the cabin. We did not get our clothing until after 7:00PM which was when the first show was taking place. No time to shower and change for the show so I cann't give you a review.

The ship was well kept and clean. The cabins were small but not uncomfortable. We had a outside cabin, the kids an inside across the hall, Deck 4. We met our State Room Attendant, Coneley, right away. He gave us a quick rundown of the ship, his hours, and how to use the "please Make Up Our Room" tag. I found this a little comercialized. What happened to the days of the "Cabin Fairies". You know they are there because your room is always clean and neat but your never quite sure where they are. Coneley did a great job but I kind of missed the mystique.

We were scheduled to go to Port Canaveral, Nassua, and Freeport in that order. Because of Hurricane Frances the Captain decided to go to Nassua first and work back to Florida. This way we were ahead of the storm. In Nassua we took a bus $1 from the town to the Raddison Hotel to use the beach. They did not bother us at all, but the hotel was nearly empty as most people were leaving to get out of the way of Francis. The beach was OK as was the shopping downtown. Next, in Freeport, we took a cab to the Sheraton/Westin and used thier beach. Again, nobody there. they would not allow us to use the pools or the lounge chairs (which they were picking up and moving to higher ground) but we did stick out like a sore thumb as all the hotel quests had left. They did however, allow us to purchase the $10 frozen drinks. The beach was nice, however. Once we left Freeport we set sail for...no not Port Canaveral as they closed that port to incoming ships because of Francis...but Charleston, SC. This was a very nice surprise. Most everything is right off the ship. We took a hour and a half carriage ride through the historic district ($17), shopped in the market, and the kids even opted to miss the second formal night (and the lobster) to take a walking ghost tour of the city at night ($10). We had a great time.

The only show we really enjoyed was the review on the second night, which after eight years on the ship, was closing. I do not know what they were going to replace it with. The magician was OK and we missed the comedian who I quess only performs once on the cruise, the first night, which we missed. I really was not interested in watching olympic gymnast, Lance Ringnald, do a routine and then play the piano and sing. The other entertainment around ship were very good.

Lastly, the food. Our head waiter, Jerry, was great. He was the only head waiter in 6 cruises who I saw before the last night (TIP NIGHT) of the cruise. He introduced himself the first night and remembered all our names throughout the cruise. i do not know how he does it. Our waiter and assistant on the other hand were kind of cold. They seemed rushed and never seemed to have enough time to stop and talk with us. We really, really missed this personal touch. And the food, simply average at best. The menu was lack-luster as was the food. The Windjammer, on the other hand, was pretty good although they were very slow to pick up the empty dishes, especially in the outdoors area.

All in all we had a pretty good time. Having taken a Carnival Cruise last year, I would say the RCCL is loosing ground rapidly. Last years cruise was ++ over this years in both food and service. RCCL may want to consider making the cruise an experience like it once was, an EXPERIENCE, and not simply a hotel floating on the water. Even the kids agree we would not rule out another RCCL cruise, but would consider Carnival first.

Disembarkment went well and we were off the ship by 10:30AM. I hope this helps with others considering a great cruise vacation.

Thanks for you review! Our head waiter on the Grandeur (earlier this year) was great too. We received the same introduction and instructions as you did from our cabin steward but did not find it to be too commercial since I always seek them out on the first day and introduce myself. I find that establishing a good rapport with the cabin steward early on makes for better service the rest of the cruise. Sorry to hear about your waiter and assistant waiter being so cold; our dining team was awesome and by the end of the cruise they felt like old friends. I would still give RCCL a slight nod over Carnival in service, but I agree with you that Carnival is making great strides and is getting closer to RCCL in value.

Most staff sign on for a six or eight month contract. They go home for 4-6-8 weeks and then return to the ship. Thats a long time away from family and friends I quess. There are two Captains on each ship, they work three months on and three months off. Don,t get me wrong, all and all we had a good time, just lacked that something extra that we have had on previous cruises.

We got back from the Grandeur last week. We too had Jerry but we had no problem with our waitstaff. Our waiter Romar was very nice and accomodating. His assistant was Max who was great but left when we did for six weeks in the Ukraine. We too were on the 4th deck but had the cabins with the next attendant. They were good about substitutions and Max was very friendly when we ate in the Windjammer in the am. We had no complaints and traveled with our daughters, 20 and 23. Many people commented that the food could be better but I gained 4 lbs so I guess it was good for me. We did a great snorkeling tour in Freeport, enjoyed the kayaks at Coco Cay as well as the more secluded, shady beach, the shopping in Key West, and Kennedy Space Center.

We'll be sailing Grandeur in December on her New Orleans route, after her refurbishing. Sounds like there will be some entertainment changes, as well. It will be interesting to see if the food improves -- I hope so! I've always been quite satisfied with the food we've encountered on Rhapsody, Radiance and Adventure. It's not 5 star, but then again, you aren't paying 5 star prices! ;)

Hello Lacruiser, I too will be sailing on the Grandeur on Dec. 11th, 2004. Where did you get the entertainment and dry dock info on the Grandeur? Also do you know if the ship will be decorated for Christmas? Thanks for your time. Joe Yancho Apple Valley, CA

If you check the Grandeur schedule, there are only about 10 days available for drydock (Oct. 26 till Nov 6) minus the transit from Baltimore to New Orleans, so don't expect big changes. However, when on her last month I thought things were fine in most areas, so maybe just some touch ups and a good cleaning.

BTW, I heard rumors when on the ship that the Grandeur was going to be cut in half next year, and a new section added, allowing for specialty restaurants, etc., anyone have firm information on this?

The Grandeur will be going to Mobile, AL after her Baltimore sailings (and before the start of New Orleans sailings) for her drydock. Most of the work done will be routine or scheduled maintenance and minor cosmetic work. If the Enchantment's lenghtening procedure (adding a mid-section) is successful next year, RCCL plans to roll out the procedure to a few more Vision-class ships, possibly including the Grandeur. Even if the Grandeur is selected for this stretching, it probably would not happen until 2006.

Archived