Where does NCL Spirit dock?

jp2001

At that time of year, there are only two ships calling on New Orleans. I'm not sure they're ever in port at the same time. There is nearly a mile of dock, so there should be room for 4 ships (two at Julia St. Terminal and two at Erato St. Terminal). Those two terminals are adjacent. There are other docks within a few miles, but the big ships rarely use them. The inland river cruises on steamboats and the hotel barge River Explorer might leave from those other locations.

According to NCL's directions, it looks like Spirit departs from the Erato St. Terminal: http://www.ncl.com/csimages/634/647/NewOrleans_port.pdf

There's a lot of detailed information at http://portno.com/

You seem to be quite a Spirit fan: 3 cruises. This will be my first cruise since I was 13. Can't wait.

See, there's plenty of room for NCL Spirit and Fantasy. I just wish there were more!

pno_head_cruise.jpg

Thank you very much. All ships from all line dock there if I understand well? (I was worried since some ports have docks at various places).

Thanks again!

JP

• 3 weeks later...

I just researched directions for my son and his new wife. Here they are:

General Directions to Erato St. Cruise Terminal and Julia St. Cruise Terminals

Take I-10 east to New Orleans, follow the signs to the N.O. Business District, US90 West, Crescent City Connection to the West Bank. Take last exit before crossing the Mississippi River, which is Exit 11C, Tchoupitoulas and South Peters St. Take downramp to ground level, go to second stoplight (Tchoupitoulas St.) and turn right. Go to next stoplight (Henderson St.) and turn left. Go two blocks, go over the railroad tracks and turn left. The Cruise Terminals are directly ahead of you and Harbor Police will be directing traffic.

OR, by public transport from the airport:

How do I get from the Airport to the Cruise Ship Terminal on Julia Street?

Catch the E-2 Airport Bus ($1.60 each) from the Airport to Elk Place and Tulane Avenue in downtown New Orleans. Walk from Elk Place and Tulane to Canal Street and catch either the #42 Canal Bus or #47-48 Canal Streetcar ($1.25 +.25 transfer fee) going toward the Mississippi River. Get off the Canal Bus or Streetcar at Canal and Magazine Streets, and catch either the #10 Tchoupitoulas Bus or #11 Magazine Bus. Get off the bus at Julia Street and walk down Julia Street toward the Mississippi River to the Cruise Ship Terminal.

OR, by public transport from the airport:

How do I get from the Airport to the Cruise Ship Terminal on Julia Street?

Catch the E-2 Airport Bus ($1.60 each) from the Airport to Elk Place and Tulane Avenue in downtown New Orleans. Walk from Elk Place and Tulane to Canal Street and catch either the #42 Canal Bus or #47-48 Canal Streetcar ($1.25 +.25 transfer fee) going toward the Mississippi River. Get off the Canal Bus or Streetcar at Canal and Magazine Streets, and catch either the #10 Tchoupitoulas Bus or #11 Magazine Bus. Get off the bus at Julia Street and walk down Julia Street toward the Mississippi River to the Cruise Ship Terminal.

If you´re packing really light you may do that! I´d prefer to pay a bit more for the airport shuttle bus ($13 plus $2 fuel surcharge).

For more information see here

http://www.flymsy.com/ground_transportation.htm

steamboats

I've been to this area for cruises a few times. Erato & Julia wharfs are about a block or so apart. Once you are in the area, security will ask where you are going & direct you to the right terminal. Whether you are driving or in a taxi, security will direct you to the correct dock.

My e-docs also say Julia wharf, while everything from the port of New Orleans states Erato. My itinerary shows Roatan as the first port, but my excursion request sheet shows Costa Maya. I would take it that NCL hasn't updated all of the paperwork in the e-docs.

The NCL Spirit docks at the Erato Street Cruise Terminal. It's a brand new terminal with parking on the upper floors. It's located on the riverfront behind the Convention Center in downtown New Orleans.

The address is 990 Port of New Orleans Place. If that doesn't show up on the map you are using try punching in the intersection of Convention Center Blvd and Henderson. That intersection is about a block away from Port of New Orleans Place.

You can also find maps at http://www.portno.com/pno_pages/about_locations_maps.htm

• 2 weeks later...

JP, this has nothing to do with your question, but I didn't know how else to contact you. I see you were a solo cruiser before. I am cruising by myself on the NCL Pearl. I'm worried that most of the activities will be geared to couples/families. What all did you do as a solo cruiser? any tips? if you don't want to reply here, feel free to email me directly: bfwndtd at gmail. thanks

• 3 weeks later...
JP, this has nothing to do with your question, but I didn't know how else to contact you. I see you were a solo cruiser before. I am cruising by myself on the NCL Pearl. I'm worried that most of the activities will be geared to couples/families. What all did you do as a solo cruiser? any tips? if you don't want to reply here, feel free to email me directly: bfwndtd at gmail. thanks

Hi Bob,

Sorry to take so long to reply to your question, I had not checked that thread in a long time.

I don't think you have to worry about cruising by yourself. OK, I must admit that I have no problem to do activities by myself even here at home (I lived for 1 year in a new city where the person I knew the most when I arrived was the person I had my job interview with, that gives you an idea) but there are many activities that are NOT geared toward couples or families. I looked at a Freestyle daily (for another ship but it should look about the same) and here are a couple of examples for a sea day:

- Gym

- Stretch\yoga\pilates\dance\water aerobic classes ($ for some of them)

- Library

- Shore excursion\Port shopping\Gem stones\Spa services\cruise rewards presentations

- Smoothie\wine\beer\Margarita\Martini tastings ($) - please, don't go to all of them :D

- Lectures

- Scrabble Challenge

- Sushi\Cooking Demonstrations

- Ping Pong\darts\Shuffleboard Tournaments

- Bingo

- Trivia (offered two-three time a day on NCL)

- Gem stones\Spa services\cruise rewards presentations

- Nintendo Wii (I don't know if only kids actually do play, it was not available last year)

- Mr. Sexy Legs & more contest (very silly, not classy whatsoever but usually fun if you embark in the ''show'', I'm not much of a pool person but I try to match my sunbathing session with this.

- Golf putting

- Music by the pool\suntaning - ok, suntaning is NOT listed in the daily program :D

- Juggling workshop (this is not offered on all ships\sailings but another activity should be substituted

- Friends of Bill W., Friends of Dorothy get together (not implying you are a member of any of those groups but if you are, it may be of interest for you)

- Music in one of the lounge (some with dance floor)

- Photo Ops (including with the Captain)

- Nightly show

- Karaoke

- Newlyed\Quest game

In fact, most of the activities can be enjoyed by solo travellers/couples and some with family. On top of this, there are some singles dinners available (you must sign up beforehand, check your daily for time and place) and singles social. I didn't go to these events since I cruised solo but I am NOT single and I didn't want anybody to believe I was but this is a personal decision and it must be a good way to meet other people travelling by themselves.

Other than that, the mystery dinner seems like a great way to enjoy dinner with other people and an activity at the same time. On my last cruise, I did sign up (check your daily again) but they never sent me my invitation, I don't know why. If you participate in some activities (trivia, game cards and ship shore excursions come to my mind), you are likely to meet other people and some may invite you to join them for dinner one night since they know you are cruising solo. Otherwise, in the dinning room, you can ask to be seated with other people (I don't think you can do that in Speciality restaurants). I did go to 2 Speciality Restaurants by myself though and was treated like a Queen (I don't know if it is because I was solo or not but it was great and didn't mind to eat by myself on some occasions, I brought my book once). Teppenyaki is a good option since you are seated with a group on a U shape table and the chefs cooks in front of everyone. It's a bit of a show and people tend to talk more to other people (my experience, may change depending who is sitted there). Sushi bar is probably nice also if you dine solo.

Personnally, there is only the buffet where I don't like to go. No fun (in my book) to wait in line to get your meal, try to find a space available and eat by myself surrounded by families, couples, etc. in a noisy background, I prefer more relaxed options (on port days, I ordered from the breakfast room service - cold items only except if you are a Suite guest - and enjoyed my cereals, fruit and milk by my window. It's a nice alternative to busy buffet or longer service dinning room).

I hope this helps a little. I'm sure you will have a great time!

JP

I just realised I didn't answer your question on what I did on my last cruise. I think I covered it for dinning but as far as activities, here is what I remember doing the first sea day (but to each their own):

- Wake up (had ordered room service the night before for cereals).

- Walk-a-mile around promenade deck (this is no longer offered on the Spirit but anyone can do it by himself)

- Weight training and thread mill session

- Quick shower

- Breakfast in the dinning room

- Explore the ship, nap on the pool deck (not very hot but warm enough for a nap).

- Trivia game

- Check the library and read

- Getting ready for formal (optional) night

- One Drink in the lounge where a band was playing

- Photo with the Captain

- Joined 2 people I met the day before for dinner in Windows (they gave us a beeper since we had to wait). Went to the Lounge for a drink and a comedian was there - After an hour we had not been called, we called them and it seems our beeper didn't work... we went downstair and were seated immediately.

- Late-night mini-show in Maharini's Night Club and dance the night away to hip hop, techno music.

There's three of us. 2 Adults and 1 10-yr old. Guessing that would still be the fare? We can usually get a cab in Lauderdale or Miami for around the same (20-28 per cab)

Technically it is $12 per person for 3 or more + a $1 fuel surcharge per taxi (not per person). Not sure if they would count a 10 yr old.

http://www.flymsy.com/ground_transportation.htm

Archived