toursaver book and southeast sea kayaks

dhmom99

DH wants to do kayaking in Ketchikan. We looked up on online and found http://www.kayakketchikan.com/. Has anyone done the tour with them? How do like the trip "Pennock Paddling". Also, I noticed toursaver coupon book has a Buy1Get1Free coupon for this trip. Now I need to decide whether it is worthy buying the coupon book, since it only saves me $90, while the book costs $100.:confused: Unless we end up doing the Tram at Mt Robert

I also was interested in that excursion. Keep in mind that if the "toursaver" coupon reservations are taken up for the day, they will not honor it anyways. You might want to spend some time on the Toursaver website to see if there are other coupons that you could take advantage of. If not then to me it doesn't seem worth it. JMO

Unless you had other excursion planned, buying toursaver book for the kayaking trip alone does not justify the cost. As you said, the MT Robert Tram is a very good way to maximize your savings. You can go up and down for unlimited times. When low ceiling clouds are clear, it offer a great view of Juneau and surrounding area.

Most of the TourSaver coupons benefit people who are doing land trips before or after the cruise. You could break even by using several for the cruise portion, but the big money savers are for the Kenai Fjords cruises out of Seward and the Mt. McKinley flights out of Talkeetna.

There are only limited number of vendors from inside passage route participating toursaver coupon book. I guess their business is so good that they don't need the promotion to get passengers to them?

As the other posters said, you will be better off if you are doing pre/post one-way cruise tour with the coupon book

Most of the TourSaver coupons benefit people who are doing land trips before or after the cruise. You could break even by using several for the cruise portion, but the big money savers are for the Kenai Fjords cruises out of Seward and the Mt. McKinley flights out of Talkeetna.

I talked with Kenai Fjords today and was told that they don't accept the TourSaver coupon for their 11:30AM tour, but will for the tour at 3PM.

TourSaver also has a coupon for the 11:30-5:30 Renown Kenai Fjords cruise: http://www.renowntours.com/kenai-fjords-park-cruise.htm

Yes, they are two different companies. Kenai Fjords Tours is owned by Alaskan Native shareholders. They offer 3pm departure National Park dinner cruise for $129. You will get one free ticket with toursaver book coupon.

The Toursaver Book is a coupon book that offers money saving coupons on different areas in Alaska. The book is categorized that way, so is the website. The cost is about $100.00 and I am not sure if that includes postage or not. When I bought the book the postage was included.

You can look at the different coupons they offer at their website www.toursaver.com. There are certain restrictions like: certain dates, certain times, and certain number of coupons allowed per day. You may want to call the vendor to make sure that what you are wanting to use is still available before you purchase the book.

Hope that is helpful.:)

• 1 month later...
How cold is the kayaking? Are there any shorter sessions besides the all day ones?

I can't comment on this specific tour, but I did do day-long kayak tours in Homer and Valdez. You basically have to be prepared for any kind of weather, so it can get cold. The right gear helps a lot. Despite the elements (or because of them, depending on your point of view), kayaking is a great way to experience Alaska.

Do you have any input on the Jeep (Klondike-Yukon) excursion in Skagway

I wouldn't consider them, myself. I've passed these "groups" several times, -follow the leader and too costly in my opinion. I am a bigger advocate of renting a car and using Murray's road guide. http://www.explorenorth.com under South Klondike Highway log.

DH wants to do kayaking in Ketchikan. We looked up on online and found http://www.kayakketchikan.com/. Has anyone done the tour with them? How do like the trip "Pennock Paddling". Also, I noticed toursaver coupon book has a Buy1Get1Free coupon for this trip. Now I need to decide whether it is worthy buying the coupon book, since it only saves me $90, while the book costs $100.:confused: Unless we end up doing the Tram at Mt Robert

We enjoyed the "Pennock Paddling" excursion very much several years ago. I agree with Budget Queen in saying it's a very well run company. I've had several shoulder surgeries and was concerned I would have a problem paddling the kayak. I called ahead and they set it up that a staff member was in my kayak. We had an amazing time. My friend was in the kayak behind us and she decided they would beat us back. You know, I forgot all about my shoulder and I did my share of paddling! We did get back first...you know that ole competitive spirit kicked in! The joke was on me though. My friend was then able to catch on film a series of pics of me getting out of the kayak. Let's just say it took a team!:eek: She will tell you to this day: You know the saying: Camara: $14.95; Price Excursion $44.50 (we had a coupon); Price of Sharon getting out of Kayak: PRICELESS!

Now is it worth buying the book? I just checked their sight. The price of the Pennock Paddling excursion is $89. Using the book, you would save $44.50 since it's 2 for 1 right? If you have four people; you will need to buy 2 books. I may be missing something, but I wanted to mention this.

I do agree with others though who have said. If it's only kayaking you'll be doing I would skip the Toursaver. Even w/o the savings, I still recommend this excursion. It was my first time kayaking and I felt like I really experienced something special. Being so close to the water in some way made me feel like I was really experiencing Alaska instead of being an observer on a pre-planned tour. Does that make sense?

Enjoy Alaska!

Did this tour with Southesat Kayak 5 years ago when we were there for our 25th wedding aniv.....we are going again this June and I have booked them again...it was wonderful!

Thank you all for your wonderful input. I will contact them to find out more information among different options.

Archived