First time to Caribbean - should I go East, West or South?

Elaine2007

My husband and I just completed our 4th cruise which, once again, sailed to Mexico. We live in CA and its an easy drive to the ships that go there. We love Mexico but next time we want something different. Because we'll have to fly to FL to go on a Caribbean cruise, its unlikely that we'll go there very often. I'd like some opinions on where to go.

We like ports where theres lots to do, such as snorkeling, horseback riding, bargain shopping for souvenirs, and sightseeing but not too commercial and touristy. My favorite ports in Mexico are those that are really unique, not overly built up or polluted. I prefer horseback riding through the jungle or village or visiting ancient pyramids to sitting hours on a beach. Past excursions of ours include kayaking, snorkeling, horseback riding, swimming with dolphins, city tours, shopping, fishing, etc. Any suggestions?

It sounds to me like you would like the south the best. Cruises to the south are very port heavy so there is a lot of chance to enjoy culture and active activities. The western cruises, however, have great oportunities for scuba diving and snorkeling. Personally, I don't do the eastern routes because you get the same ports on the southern routes with fewer sea days.

My DH and I love Mexico and its culture too.

Sounds like you don't want to just sit on a beach all day. I agree with the above poster. You might like to do the extreme southern Carib which might include Dominica, Curacao, Aruba (the most touristy for sure) , Grenada, Tortola, Barbados etc. If you leave from San Juan be sure to spend a couple days there. So much history and old world culture.

Check out Celebrity. We did that cruise last year and really enjoyed the variety of the islands and the seervice and food on the ship.

You might want to check out the boards for individual ports of call too to see what kind of things people are doing. I'd also rec a new Ports of Call book. They'll give you all the points of interest and activities you can expect.

Have a great time and welcome to CC.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Every Fall, the ships used in Alaska make the treck down the West coast...go through the Panama Canal...then to the ports...Miami, Ft.Lauderdale,San Juan.( with stops along the way)

Each cruise line has a different itinerary, but you may be able to get some of the ports that you want to see...and only have to fly one way !!??!!

They're called"Repositioning Cruises".

If you look into that, I hope you find something that you'll enjoy !

Sharon

• 2 weeks later...
I mean woman ..... Not west nor east if you want the best beaches and finest weather. Also, leaving from San Juan is better than Fla. I also really like Celebrity. But, RCI and Princess are very good.

Enjoy

We are also trying to make a similar decision. Why do you recommend leaving from San Juan instead of FL.

• 2 weeks later...

leaving from san juan you are guaranteed blue skys, wonderful weather, smooth sailings.... leaving from the states we have found the weather to be chancy in fl. or other areas.... and it takes longer to get to the smooth waters, .... also, starting in san juan lets you get farther south......

you will love the southern caribbean! :p

Lots of sun, music, relaxing, great culture!

Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

If I could pick just one trip, I would say, Grenada area (Bequia is really neat too!) by way of San Juan. San Juan has so much to do, with the rainforest, fort and Old San Juan- spend a day or two there first. Grenada has spice plantations, waterfalls, great beaches, shopping, eating...you name it, but not nearly as touristy as Aruba etc.

Most of the islands I have been to you can't get to with the big cruiselines...

Sue

you have two choices: West, to visit Cozumel and from there take shore excursions to the mainland to visit enormous Nohoch Mul at Cobá, the gorgeous seaside but not so pyramidal Tulum, the incredibly steep and unclimbable structures at Muyil; or South, to visit the English-speaking and newly-freed-from-a-grossly-corrupt-government (by democratic elections) Belize, to visit the ancient city of Altun Ha, the massive decorated pyramid etc. at Xunantunich, or the many-pyramid long long lasting city of Lamanai.

"Horses will be with you always, but a Mayan city might take millennia to build." Certainly it has taken more than a generation to uncover some of them for you! You know what I'm talking about. Go for it! :D

I would pick southern, we have done different versions of the southern route three times now with another coming up and just love the islands. They are very clean and you can go from the beach to the rainforest in one day.

You could take a repo that starts in California go through the canal down to the southern and get the best of both worlds too- then you just need a flight home :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived