Broken ribs

34TigerLily

DH slipped and fell down the stairs last night and broke three ribs. :( Our cruise sails on Dec. 1. :) We have several snorkeling excursions planned. Has any one ever snorkeled with broken ribs? I doubt that he will be healed by then. My last broken bone (clavicle) took 6 weeks to heal.

The riskiest part for someone with a rib injury will be getting off the boat to go snorkeling and then getting back on gain after the snorkeling is over. This is of course assuming that your snorkeling excursion will take place from a boat. If you're doing a shore entry then all bets are off.

Once you're in the water there is very little wear and tear on the upper body. Your legs provide the propulsion along with your fins. Your arms are doing very little. Most of the time the places that they take snorkelers typically have less than three foot seas so once you in the water things might be OK.

The real problem is getting into the water from the boat and then getting back into the boat. Even with mild seas, three foot swells or less, those two parts of your excursion have the potential of being very painful even if the water is perfectly calm. Most of time one enters the water by stepping off a stern platform. Even though the platform is close to the water there will be impact. To a person with no rib injury this impact is quite mild and we don't even notice it. To someone with a rib injury though it can be quite painful.

Getting back in the boat is the real problem. On most boats they will extend a ladder or possibly two ladders into the water from this same stern platform. To get back aboard you swim to the ladder and then haul yourself back aboard after removing your fins. Except in the calmest of waters the boat and the ladders will be going up and down to some extent. After that first contact with the ladder there is considerable strain on the arms, shoulders and upper body in general until you get upright on the ladder with your legs bearing almost all of your weight. Getting on the ladder and then climbing back aboard would be the most painful part.

I have spent a lot of time getting on and off dive boats. They are the same as the boats used for most snorkeling excursions. I definitely wouldn't dive with the rib injury. I doubt seriously if I would go snorkeling either. There is a safety issue involved. If something should go wrong and the ribs get further injured then someone is going to have to do a water rescue to get the injured person back aboard. Is it worth this risk?

One could go on the snorkeling trip and remain on the boat. I think that's what smart money would do. There's always another opportunity to go snorkeling.

Tigerlily

My eye just caught your post. I do not have the answer to your question but as you can see I am a tigertlily also. the funny thing or not so funny thing, my Husband just fell down and broke some of his ribs also. Our cruise is in Feb.

Hope he feels better soon so you both can enjoy your cruise.

Marie

Thanks for the input. The excursions we are booked on are Silver Moon I in Barbados and Eli's Eco-Tour in Antigua. Both involve get off and on a catamaran or powered cat.

While I've not had broken ribs, I have been on both of these excursions. Silvermoon I is a new catamaran (they sold the old one). I think he may have trouble getting back on board as the ladder is a rung type not wide step so it may require some upper body strength which could be very painful.

As for the eco tour there are several places where getting off will be a challenge but he should be fine if he picks and choses where and when to get off (forget Hell's Gate as it is a 30 yard swim and very challenging climbing once you get to the island).

I still think both tours would be enjoyable for him. He may have to limit himself if the pain is too great.

My best friend broke 2 ribs in a car accident and we are off to cruise one week from today.:o At this point I have cancelled all of our 'snorkeling from a boat excursions' and am now trying to research good snorkeling beaches on the islands we will be going to. I think getting in and out of the water from a catamaran would be very painful not to mention any jarring the boat may have from waves.:eek:

I figure the warm sun and water will help her heal as will the relaxation she can do while we cruise. Good luck to all!:D

The only thing that will heal a broken rib or ribs is time. The older we get, the more time is needed. 6-8 weeks is about average for mature people.

If your snorkeling involves only floating on the surface looking down on the beauty below, it will not be too much of a problem. (Every deep breath , cough, laugh, etc. hurts for a while) but anything more strenuous increases the discomfort. A relaxing, low physical stress excursion could actually be beneficial. Check with your doctor.

• 2 months later...

Most excursions will have you sign a liability release form and might require you to complete a medical statement. I would absolutely have a doctor's opinion and if he says it's ok, I'd have them sign a release.

Get a professional opinion from your doctor.

Archived