No More TA Discounts???

Shadow

May be this issue has already been addressed, but I wanted to make sure. I talked to my TA last week and he informed me that Celebrity has now started a new policy that TA's cannot discount Celebrity's price anymore. Usually a TA discounts out of their commission, but Celebrity says that if they do there will be consequences. The reason they are giving is that they want to give the smaller TA's that can't afford to discount the same footing as the bigger ones. Now what is going to happen is the TA's will have to come up with some sort of incentive such as free travel insurance etc. If they don't then we might as well just book through Celebrity, then their the ones hurting all the TA's.:mad:

Has anyone else been informed of this new policy by Celebrity?

I've finally decide to reply. I am a TA and work for a large travel agency. Most of our business is corporate, but we have several agents doing leisure bookings exclusively. We never have discounted cruises and never had any plans to. The cruise lines have no incentive to get you the best price available and all the amenities you are entitled to. Most of the res agents you deal with at the cruise line have sailed very few times if any and have no real experience to give to the passenger. My allegiance is to the client first and foremost.

I, on the other hand, have sailed many times and have done as many ship inspections as I have sailed. In 4 weeks I will be doing a long weekend at Long Beach and attending a seminar for Carnival and inspecting the Pride and Paradise. I do this at my own expense, without pay and do it to become more familiar with the product I am selling. I work very hard to ensure every client has the best cruise experience possible and gets the best value. The best value doesn't always equal the best price.

Reggie

I posted this note on another thread. I have a great TA and would certainly not change to save a few bucks. I know for a fact that he spent a lot of time over the weekend helping his clients re-book air transport out of South Florida.

"Maybe before we all jump off the deep end with worry about Celebrity prices it might pay to look at other lines pricing. We booked the Summit today for the March 12, 2006 Hawaii cruise. Booked a CC cabin for $2225/ea which was FAR less expensive than a "comparable" cabin on the Island Princess. Certainly this will not be true for all types of sailings/destinations, but I am sure that ours was not a totally isolated experience."

Hope I don't get flamed for not being up to date on this info - I just never really paid attention to the previous threads that discussed this.

Please clarify, so what this new rule is saying is that travel agents will have to quote the same price as that which is found on the Celebrity site? Am I correct?

Absolutely! How come it seems from reading things here that PRICE the only determining factor for a lot of consumers?

Because there is a difference between buying the best and buying the best you can afford. For some of us, it's a huge difference. Maybe price is not the only factor, but it's a very large factor to me.

Because there is a difference between buying the best and buying the best you can afford

Then, when the price goes up, you have to decide if you can still afford it. True? Some things (costs) are fixed. Mortgages, taxes (usually), and the like. In this case, the subject is discretionary spending (vacations). So, if the price in fact really does go up, you either pay, or change your parameters. To me it's just so ironic that people gripe about what they have to pay for a vacation, instead of being grateful they can go on a vacation at all.

Then, when the price goes up, you have to decide if you can still afford it. True? Some things (costs) are fixed. Mortgages, taxes (usually), and the like. In this case, the subject is discretionary spending (vacations). So, if the price in fact really does go up, you either pay, or change your parameters. To me it's just so ironic that people gripe about what they have to pay for a vacation, instead of being grateful they can go on a vacation at all.

Agree completely!! With everything that has happened recently with the hurricane damage etc. . . not to mention everything that's going on in the entire world - we all need to be thankful that we can afford to travel. OK, now I'll get off my soapbox.

I don't think anyone answered my original question. Does all this mean that TAs will quote the same price as we get off the celebrity.com website? Not complaining, only wanting to know that if the TA I usually use quotes me the same price as celebrity.com, there is nothing he can do better. Thanks.

Elaine,

This is what I understand, based on other threads and an exchange with a travel agent after this all started. If your travel agent's firm has a "key account" with Celebrity or other high volume sales status they receive "officially approved" lower rates from Celebrity and may offer and advertise those rates. If they do not have this special standing then they must comply with the rates as advertised by Celebrity or face sanctions.

If the web site or your travel agent is offering standard rates, then they do not have special standing.

There is still confusion on this issue so others may have a different interpretation but based on my review of pricing on the net, the only advertised price below Celebrity's site that I can find is on the site of an agency that has a key account with Celebrity.

Aztex,

Thanks. Then I guess that means that my TA does not have a key account since the prices he has quoted are the same as celebrity.com.

So, is it OK for me to ask you to e-mail the site that you found that does have a key account. Or will this e-mail disappear - I guess we will find out. If you don't mind send me the info my e-mail address is: brown1292@triad.rr.com

Thanks.

ElaineB

Elaine,

Not all cruises get key account pricing or Senior citizen discount, or residency discounts. But when they do appear I pass along the savings to my customers. I like Reggerrail am an agent and work hard for my customer to keep informed and do everything I can to get them the best pricing. I have also taught them tricks for getting more value from their cruise. It is improtant to know the products you sell and keep informed to what is going on in the industry. I also keep in touch with people on the ships as another way of keeping up on what is going on in the industry. People seem to think all we do is sit around waiting for the client to call. There is a lot to learn as the industry keeps changing. I work hard for my clients.

Chessbriar - I hope I didn't say anything that offended you -- I realize TAs work very hard -- and, I realize the importance of having an actual person there to help in any matter. Can't get that from the .coms. (Hope I don't offend anyone - that is just my opinion.)

Elaine,

No offense taken. I was only directing the discounts line to you. The rest was there to defend reggerrail and others like him. It's a tough business and TAs work hard. Read the recent post about Celebrity's customer service. People have accused X of doing this to get more people to book directly with X. Well X customer service is not capable of handling taking the order. Questions or problems seem to be beyond their ability. Hopefully they will get better, but in my years on this board rarely have I seen customer servie praised.

Archived