Best Food Poll - Surprising Results?

anngie

I'm in agreement that esp in the dining room, the food on Celebrity was overall better and more ambitious than on HAL. That having been said we like the smaller ship experience and almost everything else on HAL so our only Celebrity cruise was our very first cruise. We tried HAL the 2nd time and we leave 11/6 on number 4 on HAL (all of this since 1999). And HAL's food is OK. But hey, what do I know?? Spent 4 yrs eating military chow and now have been feeding inmates for 27 yrs.. So don't look for MY chair to be empty in either the dining room OR the lido.. *S*

Would I sail Celebrity again? Of course, given the right itinerary and right price, but not before checking to see if I could find something comparable on HAL.

What ... in order to vote people DOWN?? ;) Well, I suppose so ... that's why I said "praise God" we don't do it that way. :D

No, so they could hear everyone's sins. Can't vote unless you're informed about the "issues", can you? :rolleyes:

-dave

Well............since this poll was on a RCCL board, I don't know if the people polled had sailed on all these different cruiselines but it does seem that people were in agreement that Celebrity has the best food. Since I have never sailed on Celebrity I do not have an opinion but for those of you who have, is the food really that much better than the others mentioned?

Thanks, Rev Neal, you got me off the hook.

Can I ask you who have been on Celebrity to quantify the difference between HAL food and Celebrity food? I understand that HAL's food has tended toward bland due to the preferences of many of the older passengers ... but, other than this, what do people mean when they say that HAL food isn't as good?

I'm certainly not an food snob, an elitist, or a gourmet ... but neither do I often frequent fast food or low-end buffets. I DO know what I like, and I enjoy eating (obviously!) ... but I can't stand "octopus tentacles" and "calves brains," so, if THAT's the kind of food that people complain about HAL not having ... well ... they can have my portion because that stuff turns my stomach.

rev neal - think it has more to do with the presentation. Mind you it has been 5 yrs now since we sailed Celebrity but I think there was more effort to garnish the plate, more interesting side dishes, Celebrity's cold fruit soups were excellent whereas I have NEVER had a good one on HAL and don't even try them anymore. More in the way of sauces for the meat items. Just generally a bit more ambitious and upscale than HAL. But as I said in my first post, we prefer the overall experience on HAL and there is plenty of fine dining available locally so we give a bit on the food and more than make up for it in the attitude overall of the staff and the smaller feel of the ship. Seems like every time we used an elevator on C's Galaxy there was a wait as the car was already full. 80% of the time on HAL we're the only ones in the elevator.

Agree with those who feel that Dutch night is a waste and do not care for the BBQ option instead, but I guess that will be our Pinnacle night. And do think that HAL's entertainment is overall substandard. Hopefully they are not STILL doing that crew ensemble "Up on the Roof" thing?? Enough is enough.

A HAL loyalist, but not blindly so.

Archived