Internet Access in Stateroom on The Jewel

ZotBot

Hi,

I could've sworn that I read somewhere that wireless internet was available in all staterooms on The Jewel but according to NCL's website the only ships with internet access available in staterooms are Norwegian Sun, Pride of Aloha and Pride of America.

Is this true? If so it would be really disappointing because one of the reasons I booked a 9 day was because I'd be able to stay in touch with my office without schlepping to the internet cafe several times a day with my laptop.

Thanks for you help with this.

Actually, if I remember, the rooms do have a wired connection. This would be better than the wireless in many cases anyway, due to a stronger signal.

And, if you were to log in multiple times per day, you could run up a good size bill. The plans run from $0.75 down to $.40 per minute, and that is for a SLOW connection.

Many of the cell carriers do have cell phone onboard and text messages are pretty cheap.

So the rooms do have a wired connection which would of course be a lot faster than wireless. I guess I will probably need to bring my own ethernet cable lest I want to pay a daily rental.

Thanks for the info.

I believe singular does a roaming thing on the boat. I will look into that.

I ALWAYS carry an ethernet cable. Weighs about 2 oz and takes no room. Never know when you might need it.

As to cingular and roaming... $2.50 per minute for talking. I think either $0.10 or $0.50 for text messages on phone.

so wait.. the ethernet connection is slow but faster than the wireless right?

i was on the spirit last year and would sit in the library/internet cafe with laptop connected via wireless network and the connection crawled...

is it slower than dial-up?

what can be slower than dial up.. i guess a pretty long ethernet would be most convenient right?

• 2 weeks later...

Wireless in public spaces, wired only in staterooms.

Wired is faster than wireless within the ship, but the limiting factor is the satellite bandwidth, not the connection from your computer to the ship's internet server. If you're connected during a popular time, the bandwidth has to be shared by more people and is slower. Surfing the net can be expensive; if you just want to stay in touch by e-mail your best bet is to write all your messages off-line and then connect just to transmit and receive, then read your new messages off-line, and repeat as often as needed. Using the connection at an unpopular time (after everyone else has gone to bed worked for me) gets you more of the available bandwidth and less connect time (which translates into lower cost).

Archived