Best port for watches??

I'm not an expert, but two weeks ago I was looking for a good everyday watch in St. Thomas (we were on Zuiderdam). I found a Tissot Titanium PR 50 and checked the price in three well known (on the ships recommended list) shops and finally purchased it in "Little Switzerland" for $250-. After I returned I checked online and I could of bought it cheaper (20-30%) on E-Bay or Amazon. Check online for ballpark prices before you go or even a local store. Duty free isn't all it up to be.

My sister has asked me to ask all of you, what is the best port to purchase a brand name watch that is much cheaper that in the U.S.???? Would St. Thomas be one of those ports? Thank you :D

What brand of watch is she looking for? I went to Jamaica and I found good deals and also in the Nassau.

All savvy shoppers shop ahead in the states before shopping at a port of call. Decide what you want to buy and price it here. It will keep you from making impulse buys which can turn out disastrous. The sales clerks in all of the jewelry stores are smooth talkers and might tempt you with make-believe "sale" prices. FOR SURE, price the watch you are interested in here,,,and make sure if it's a designer watch that you are getting an original at the port..not a knock off. Know the markings.

If you are looking for gold, know the current prices per weight. If you don't know how to inspect a diamond and a setting, you might easily buy something that's inferior to what you can get here. And even then...you may get taken.

I'll buy something that won't break the bank...OR my heart if I find out I over paid. But I'd personally not buy fine pieces there.

My sister has asked me to ask all of you, what is the best port to purchase a brand name watch that is much cheaper that in the U.S.???? Would St. Thomas be one of those ports? Thank you :D

St Thomas definitely. We were there on a shore excursion in October and an Omega watch which would have cost 4,000 euro at home could be bought there for 2,000 euro. :)

My husband, who has a watch fettish, has bought all of his watches either in St. Thomas, or believe it or not, on the ship!

Before you go shopping at port, check the ships jewellery store if they have the watch - sometimes they guarantee to be less expensive then the port stores.

Good luck!

Kim.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not an expert, but two weeks ago I was looking for a good everyday watch in St. Thomas (we were on Zuiderdam). I found a Tissot Titanium PR 50 and checked the price in three well known (on the ships recommended list) shops and finally purchased it in "Little Switzerland" for $250-. After I returned I checked online and I could of bought it cheaper (20-30%) on E-Bay or Amazon. Check online for ballpark prices before you go or even a local store. Duty free isn't all it up to be.

Like you, I thought the same thing about buying a watch online, but there is a critical difference between buying online and buying duty free at an authorized dealer. You may be able to find a better price online for watches, but often they are not from authorized dealers. Only authorized dealers for that particular brand can provide you with all the proper documentation from the manufacturer so that if you have any problems, the watch is covered by the warranty. What good is saving money by shopping online if you have no recourse if there are issues with your watch down the road? I hope this gives you some peace of mind!

I highly recommend that you price the watch that you are most interested in at home so that when you visit the Islands you know what the price would be in the States. If in the end the price is close I would purchase it at home just in case you encounter problems with it. But, again, know the price and go to a reputable store on an Island.

Keith

Like you, I thought the same thing about buying a watch online, but there is a critical difference between buying online and buying duty free at an authorized dealer. You may be able to find a better price online for watches, but often they are not from authorized dealers. Only authorized dealers for that particular brand can provide you with all the proper documentation from the manufacturer so that if you have any problems, the watch is covered by the warranty. What good is saving money by shopping online if you have no recourse if there are issues with your watch down the road? I hope this gives you some peace of mind!

Very good point! I do prefer "brick & mortar" stores to online, because of that and the shipping. It makes you wonder about the "mark-up" though. The online store must be making a fair profit, and they're selling it 20-30% less. At least with watches you have models and makes, jewelry is even harder to gauge and compare.

My husband' date=' who has a watch fettish, has bought all of his watches either in St. Thomas, or believe it or not, on the ship!

Before you go shopping at port, check the ships jewellery store if they have the watch - sometimes they guarantee to be less expensive then the port stores.

Good luck!

Kim.[/quote']

I also bought a watch from the ship - love it!

• 1 month later...

While the OP has already sailed, I'll share my experience with other CC'ers.

I shopped in the stores and on-line before my December cruise, authorized dealers only. Since my memory is not what it used to be, I brought a price list with me. The duty-free shopping booklet in my cabin mentioned pretty steep discounts on name brand watches - Seiko, Citizen, etc., 20%, 30% - so I decided to take a look. I ended up buying my watch on board - a Citizens Ecodrive (= no batteries - ever!) for $221. List price in the US is $400 - granted, that is the MSRP, but I doubt I would find a retailer selling a name-brand watch for anywhere near that discount!

I recommend buying a watch on the ship - but do your homework before you leave!

Liz

I shopped in the stores and on-line before my December cruise, authorized dealers only. Since my memory is not what it used to be, I brought a price list with me. The duty-free shopping booklet in my cabin mentioned pretty steep discounts on name brand watches - Seiko, Citizen, etc., 20%, 30% - so I decided to take a look. I ended up buying my watch on board - a Citizens Ecodrive (= no batteries - ever!) for $221. List price in the US is $400 - granted, that is the MSRP, but I doubt I would find a retailer selling a name-brand watch for anywhere near that discount!

Liz

Actually, the dirty little secret is that there IS a battery in there. It gets recharged from the movement of your arm. It will usually last 5-6 years, then need to be replaced.

According to my favorite jeweler in St Maarten who also has a store in St Thomas, the rent is higher in St Thomas, therefore the prices are a little higher there than St Maarten.

That being said, I looked at a watch in St Maarten for several years but couldn't justify the price. Then on a trip to Aruba, I found it at a much better price.

The duty-free shopping booklet in my cabin mentioned pretty steep discounts on name brand watches - Seiko, Citizen, etc., 20%, 30% - so I decided to take a look. I ended up buying my watch on board - a Citizens Ecodrive (= no batteries - ever!) for $221. List price in the US is $400 - granted, that is the MSRP, but I doubt I would find a retailer selling a name-brand watch for anywhere near that discount!

Liz

The truth is that ANY authorized retailer in ANY port would do the same discount (35% on Seiko and 44% on Citizen). Prices and duty free discounts on watches are set by the manufacturer and not by any store. It is true that you can find someone willing to round it down a bit but not often.

Archived