Back from New Zealand!!!

Budget Queen

We did that in Jan. 2005 and I did not enjoy it at all. Afterwards we did go to an animal park and saw a kiwi. I really did enjoy it. As for the Antarctic tour, they give you cloth type booties that make it very slippery walking on the ice and then they simulate a huricane with cold wind blowing on you.

We are going to Australia/New Zealand in our winter to get away from snow and ice. We get enough of it and most of it is unexpected. Like this early in the season. It snowed like mad last night, then it got just above zero and melted a bit and then it got colder and froze and now it is slippery outside and lots of car accidents.

Maybe other people like arctic conditions, even simulated but not me.

Christchurch itself is a lovely city and the river is great and there are tours.

Naturally, we are not doing this antarctic tour again this time in February.

Interesting perspectives on the Antarctic Centre. Obviously people from the warmer climes find it more interesting than those who put up with snow and ice regularly.

Be certain, where you dock???? RCI did not dock in Tauranga, but in Mt Maunganui. Avis cars were not at the dock for my sailing. It was another independent- Rent Rite or similar name similar????

I paid $45pp at the visitor center for Te Puia admission, $5 discount.

The Port of Tauranga IS MOUNT MAUNGANUI. Worth double checking pick-up point when booking a rental car although I'm sure they are well aware it would be dockside at The Mount.

The Port of Tauranga IS MOUNT MAUNGANUI. Worth double checking pick-up point when booking a rental car although I'm sure they are well aware it would be dockside at The Mount.

As I mention, Avis was NOT at the dock, for my particular sailing. They may not be aware of the location. If they booked "Tauranga", it may be located there and nowhere near the ship.

Interesting perspectives on the Antarctic Centre. Obviously people from the warmer climes find it more interesting than those who put up with snow and ice regularly.

Not for me, I'm in a major snow belt and thought the museum very interesting. :)

Mochuk, Winter is not only cold but dangerous and inconvenient as well. There are always lots of accidents, many fatal from Ice chunks and sheets of ice flying off trucks and hitting other vehicles. Not to mention cars and trucks skidding and hitting each other or ending up upsidedown on the boulevards.

In winter, you could be delayed for hours due to the plane needing de-icing and then it has be done again and again because it freezes while waiting in the stack to take off. We have been delayed by 3 hours once on a flight to Hawaii due to having to be deiced 3 times. Besides, that, the pink decing stuff smells awful.

It is quite possible to miss connecting flights as well.

Looking forward to an extra few weeks of summer in Australia & New Zealand.

Johanna

We have booked a car in Tauranga with Pegasus. It is $120nz for an 11 seater minivan. They will pick up from the terminal. Another CCer put me onto them.

They don't "pick you up". They deliver the car to the dock, same place where you return it. You will be giving the keys to security in the booth.

they are actually there at the docks to greet you and get you to sign the paperwork so you drive away from the dock for maximum time.

we used pegasus and rented a van (may be the same person mentioned earlier) they asked where we were going and told us of other places to go also.

As also mentioned we just left the key with the guy at security.

The pegasus rep also told us where to buy alcohol cheap, we didnt ask him this but got the feeling he had been asked that question several times before

there is so much to do here so make sure you have a plan and route organised

So what was your plan and route? We are leaning towards driving ourselves for the freedom. Can anyone comment on the differences. Where would we actually need a guide? Driving isn't a problem but sometimes guides give needed information and local colour. I'm a good navigator and DH is a good driver (even on the left).

So what was your plan and route? We are leaning towards driving ourselves for the freedom. Can anyone comment on the differences. Where would we actually need a guide? Driving isn't a problem but sometimes guides give needed information and local colour. I'm a good navigator and DH is a good driver (even on the left).

To make the most of the day and see all the important attractions at the right time....and with guides - contact Ian at Mount Classic Tours. www.mctours.co.nz That way you wont miss Lady Knox Geyser at Wai-O-Tapu.....the Maori Concert at Te Puia, plus see an actual village where they cook in boiling pools :eek: More boiling mud, geysers and peer into the bowels of the earth :confused: The return drive is through scenic farmland and Tauranga City. Very easily get lost doing this yourself :rolleyes:

Are you referring to Tauranga port/MOUNT MAUNGANUI???? The highlight is Rotorua in my opinion. Well worth the drive and to spend the day.

Check out the information here http://www.taieri.co.nz/ We took it in route to Dunedin from Georgetown. It's a nice ride and the gorge is beautiful, but while in Dunedin, I'd recommend doing more local things (last time we did a small boat ride out of Lyttleton that stopped at the Penguin colony and took us out into the ocean looking for small dolphins. Weather was rainy when we started, then turned lovely and it was a fun trip. See the Dunedin railroad station for shore and a variety of other sights. Whatever you decide, have a great time.

Hi Budget Queen

Do you or does anyone else have any information on the rail tour Taieri Gorge Train going out of Dunedin and the times and how you would arrange an independant trip?

Thanks Leg

The Taieri rail is a scheduled service running mostly twice a day....9.30 am and 2.30pm from Dunedin Railway Station. Cost is NZ$67 return. When cruise ships are in port an extra morning service is put on picking up from Port Chalmers......this includes a boxed lunch and drinks....at some exhorbitant price - approx NZ$200!!!! :eek:

Check the site provided by Sheila....it has a video of the actual trip, timetables and prices. You arrive back in Dunedin in time for some city sightseeing. Perhaps Arthur www.arthurstours.co.nz would customise a tour to suit. It depends on the day you are in port....if there is no morning scheduled service (and you REALLY want to do the train trip)....you have no choice other than a ship's tour :rolleyes:

Personally I think the scenery out on the OTAGO Peninsular is more spectacular...plus there is Larnach Castle, Olveston House, Penguin Place, Albatross Colony.....plus a tour would include comprehensive city sightseeing.

Whatever your decision......have a wonderful day in DUNEDIN :)

On the day I was in Dunedin, cruise ship passengers were able to direct book and get on the longer run of the train. So, you do not necessarily have to book the cruise contracted.

Also one couple just showed up and got on the train. There is a city bus, right outside the security gates of the ship. $2.80 and NO stops, direct to the city center. Then a couple block walk to the train station.

I made enquiries for a trip running on 9 February that would have us back to the ship by 5.00 pm. This was the response:

"Unfortunately no we are not running a morning train on this day and our afternoon tour is not due back until 6.30pm which is too late.

The trip that Holland America offer differs from our normal tour - the train goes the extra distance to the Port to pick up the passengers ship side, morning tea and a light lunch is included as is a drinks service. It is one of the most popular tours to take while visiting Dunedin. Sorry I could not help you out more.

Kind regards, Barbara Reid, Marketing Manager

TAIERI GORGE RAILWAY Website:http://www.taieri.co.nz

I still don't know whether to fork out the US$200 or not - must be an amazing boxed lunch!

I have been to Dunedin before and the Albatross Colony is great, as is Lanach Castle (do go up on the roof it it's open - the view is just spectactular!).

Hi Tredebo,

I also made an inquiry about the Taieri Gorge Railway trip and received almost the same answer. However, we will be on Mercury in Dunedin on the same day, and no mention was made about the fact that the train will be brought to port. I'm presuming it's a combined trip offering for both ships, and that means that the train will be very full.

We are unsure whether we really want to spend $400 for the day trip, or do something equally interesting such as the Otago Peninsula. We are hoping for a longer NZ trip someday soon, so we may just leave the railroad until then.

On our Alaska trip, we were able to book the White Pass Railroad with a private tour offering (Chilkoot Charters - 8 passengers in the entire train coach, compared to all the other train cars being full, shoulder to shoulder), and it was wonderful. We had hoped to have the same situation with the Taieri.:( Oh well.

Sharon,

IMHO, I wouldn't spend $400 for the train ride. While the Gorge is lovely, the ride was not worth $400 and it sounds like the trip will make for a long day. There are other things worth seeing in Dunedin and, if I remember correctly, when I searched for possibilities, there were some less well known tours along the coast. Good luck whatever you decide.

Jear bear: I can give a better response when I get home and can look at the details. From what I remember, the quote request I just selected Taruanga and it came back with Tauranga/Mt Maunganui. When I clicked to confirm the booking, I pretty much had to enter everything again. I still selected Tauranga and in the flight info section, I put Celebrity Mercury and the times. I am sure the confirmation came back with portside pickup or something. Anyway I will check later tonight.

I chose that company because another CCer (who I have actually met) had used them on her cruise with no problems.

Hi aussie disney fan, how do you know what the port name is when you book your rental we are on same cruise as you i need the port name for taurango thanks

Kia ora i Rotorua,

Either name does. Port of Tauranga or Mount Maunganui which is actually Tauranga's port. Mt. Maunganui is 'part of' Tauranga and is between the beach area and down town Tauranga. As Budget Queen says Rotorua is the highlight and is about an hours drive from the wharf. As a local I would suggest a visit to Whakarewarewa, 'The Living thermal Village' for an imnsight into why the area is so important to Maori. The thermal area is great with bubbling mud pools, boiling mineral springs (try a spa treatment at QE2 for arthritis treatment) and the geyser which erupts at intervals during the day. Hangi meals cooked in natural steam vents are available and there are cultural two performances during the day. The web site is www.whakarewarewa.com. If you want a bit of adventure you could paddle a waka (Maori canoe) on the lake. Web site is www.manaadventures.co.nz This is only a taste of the many attractions, Eg. Buried Village, the lakes, mountain biking in the forrest etc. The last world MB champs were held here last year, and the waterski champs on Lake rotorua this year. Let us know if you would like further information.

ka kite korua

Aquariansicon7.gificon7.gif

Jear bear: I can give a better response when I get home and can look at the details. From what I remember, the quote request I just selected Taruanga and it came back with Tauranga/Mt Maunganui. When I clicked to confirm the booking, I pretty much had to enter everything again. I still selected Tauranga and in the flight info section, I put Celebrity Mercury and the times. I am sure the confirmation came back with portside pickup or something. Anyway I will check later tonight.

I chose that company because another CCer (who I have actually met) had used them on her cruise with no problems.

Pegasus is based at Mount Maunganui. Usual for them to be at the wharf to complete paper work. Avis, Budget have depots at Tauranga Airport ($10 taxi ride away)...although if requested would possibly deliver vehicle to wharf. Enjoy Mount Maunganui and Rotorua :)

Archived