Preferences- Star or Pearl for 7day Alaska

ugminer

I did the Star to Alaska and last week the 9 day Pearl to Souther Caribbean. Both ships are very similar. The Pearl is newer and i bit nicer. I was not happy with all the budget cuts that NCL has previously made as I had seen on my recent trip on the Pearl. Do yourself a favor, go Celebrity, Princess or HAL.

The Pearl will sail to Glacier Bay National Park, the Star will not.

Depending upon whether you wish to go there or not, should determine which ship to take. The ships are based upon the same hull and machinery, so are sisters to one another, with just a few differences. The Star is the first to be built on the hull design, the Pearl the fifth, therefore the Pearl is relatively newer.

Have a great Alaskan cruise.

As mentioned above, the Pearl goes to Glacier Bay, while the Star goes to Tracy Arm fjord/Sawyer glacier. Most, if not all, of the other "ports" of call are identifical -- with the possible exception of the required Canadian stop.

If you haven't been to Alaska before and glacier viewing is a priority, I'd recommend the Pearl. If you have to been Alaska and have seen glacier bay previously, then go for the Star. If you do choose to book the Star, look into the excursion that NCL does for glacier viewing in Tracy Arm. It gives you a much better chance of being able to see the twin Sawyer Glaciers at the end of Tracy Arm.

i did the NCL star to alaska in 2006, but we did the route that the pearl took over. while i can recommend the star as a great ship, i would choice the route the pearl is doing...glacier bay. too many ships have problems getting close or within views of sawyer glaciers.

Thanks for the info. We did the inside passage in 06. The last time we did Sitka (which I fell in love with) but I want to go to Skagway for the train. Sounds like both ships are pretty equal so will stick with itinerary. Thanks

am i crazy?..i m already planning a may 09 cruise on one

of these ship s..

where did you stay in seattle ?

Crazy? Absolutely not! As you see I just got off from my last cruise this month. I'm looking at options for late 2008, late because (I know this sounds bad) but I have to do a land-based for March in Hawaii:rolleyes: But am seriously considering the "O" for a Panama Canal in 09 as she is heading for dry dock. I think the planning and anticipation is almost as fun as the cruise! I love HAL (no Flames please) but liked NCL in Hawaii and their price for AK is pretty good. Heck, I'd probably be willing to cruise in a tugboat:D if that's all that was available.

As for staying in Seattle, weather in May should pose no problem from the west coast so I fly in early the day of. I go as early as possible so, just in case, I have to grab another flight there is still time to get there. I lived in the Seattle area years ago and actually love to see it in my aft deck view. Have fun planning. Maybe we'll meet up someday. Deb

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express near the airport. I got a great deal on an Entertainment book rate (less than $60 for a king-size one bedroom). Even though Seattle is one of the easier departure ports from SLC, I'd still rather get in the night before and know that I'm not going to have any arrival issues.

Archived