Upgrade ??'s

hamptod

I have no doubt that this happened as you said however, this would not be an upgrade. It does sound to me that something went wrong here however. I wonder if the cabin was booked wrong in the first place and either the T.A. (If there was one) or the pax did not verify their docs for accuracy.

Steve Hayes

Someone posted here about a month ago that he booked a BA cabin (with his kids across the hall in an inside) and somehow Princess switched his cabin to another BA cabin on the other side fo the ship. He didn't find out until they got to the ship. He was told this happened because he didn't mark "no upgrades".

So, while I want to say Princess will keep you in your BA or give you someething better - in his case, Princess did switch him to a different cabin. Rare, but it did happen.

If my memory serves, the gentleman in question had booked a BC or BD and an inside across the way. He was upgraded to BA, wanted to turn it down because the new cabin was too far away and/or the kids' cabin could not be changed, and ended up in the original category he had booked, on the other side of the ship from his original location, but close enough to his children to make him comfortable. It was a case of an upgrade being turned down and being unable to move back to his original cabin.

Now I see.

I have arrived at the dock and upon check-in found out that my cabin had been changed without my knowledge. This was before internet availability and the Cruise Personalizer. My luggage had been turned over to the stevedores with my original cabin tags. It took until late the first evening for my luggage to arrive.

Steve Hayes

If my memory serves, the gentleman in question had booked a BC or BD and an inside across the way. He was upgraded to BA, wanted to turn it down because the new cabin was too far away and/or the kids' cabin could not be changed, and ended up in the original category he had booked, on the other side of the ship from his original location, but close enough to his children to make him comfortable. It was a case of an upgrade being turned down and being unable to move back to his original cabin.

There are probably exceptions and work arounds, but my TA defined Princess' upgrade policy as follows:

I have advised Princess that you DO NOT want an auto upgrade, which means you will sail in the cabin you currently are in. In so doing, your booking will NOT be considered for an upgrade to ANY other category, including a Mini Suite. Unfortunately this is the way Princess handles upgrades, we do not get a courtesy call offering an upgrade, subject to your approval. It is done automatically and sometimes passengers don’t even find out about an upgrade until they board the ship.

This is not true based on my personal experience, TWICE: we booked a specific cabin minisuite, travel agent/sister marked us no upgrade, she got a fax saying we were upgraded to a full suite (once VS, once PS) and Princess called her to confirm that we accepted the upgrade. Like we would say no!

Just a thought: maybe some travel agents say this to cover themselves so they don't have to take responsibility for the follow up and possible unhappy passenger if they drop the ball, as well as being able to take the credit if one did come along. Since I deal with my sister, I know what truth is in my case. She actually asked the Princess guy that she talked to, when accepting the upgrade, if he was the upgrade fairy. He laughed.

Judy

SpongeRob - I found his "explanation" - he was upgraded and then downgraded but no one told him about the upgrade (I forgot about that part).

------

My TA said that basically we both should have caught it. In addition to the letter, I obtained further information from Princess that my balcony cabin had been "upgraded" one deck up (no mini, same type balcony) in November. Either the TA or Princess found out later that the cabins were linked, since our balcony cabin assignment changed twice in 2005, bringing us back to the same deck as we had originally requested, but on the other side of the ship. My best guess is that somebody attempted to get the cabins as close together as possible. I never received any correspondence from my TA, other than e-mails of when my final payment was due and my cruise docs.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=68063

Just curious. Were all of these upgrades on cabins that you had picked when you book or had you booked guarantees? Does it matter if you pick your own cabing or not? :confused:

Stella

I never book guarantees. I always get a cabin #.

Archived