Upgrade ??'s

hamptod

When I recently booked my cruise my TA asked if I was willing to take a complimentary upgrade IF Princess wanted to give us one. She said that if I said yes and we received an upgrade, it would be automatic, I would not be consulted before the upgrade was finalized.We are sailing July 30, 2005 on the CP. I booked a specific cabin C518 on the Caribe deck. I chose this cabin after reading all the recommendations on this board about ship location and balcony size. Since we love to spend time on our balcony, I wanted a really big one midship since on my first cruise in June I got sick the 1st couple of days.

Because of the location I asked my TA NOT to take a complimentary upgrade if Princess offered one to us. However, after reading some recenting postings, I'm wondering if that was a good idea. There are 3 of us travelling. My DS truly uses the cabin to sleep and is hardly ever there. My DH loves the cabin and likes sitting on the balcony so I was willing to trade space for a larger balcony. I also like the fact that the Caribe deck is partially covered. However, reading about the mini's and the size really has me intriqued. But, I don't like the idea of an open balcony like on the Dolphin deck. But the Aloha decks are covered:confused: I've got way too much information.

Here is my question, should I change this request with my TA? It seems that based on the posts here, the TA MUST check with you BEFORE accepting the upgrade. This seems to be contrary to what the TA told me. If I had the opportunity to KNOW where the upgraded cabin is located, I could make an informed decision as to whether I should take it or not. What do you guys think? Should I change this with the TA? Do they( Princess and the TA) have to let you know what the upgrade is before finalizing?

One caveat, I know this is all hypothetical because there is no rhyme or reason as to who gets an upgrade and who does not. Of course, for me, I live in Murphy's law world a lot of the time. If I say no upgrade, I will get one, if I say I want it, I won't:D Just trying to be prepared.

Advice?

Deborah

They are supposed to check with you to see if you want the upgrade but frequently it doesn't happen that way (so i've heard, I never have been upgraded).

Bottomline if you want a specific cabin request no upgrade. If you are willing to take a chance then put yourself in for the upgrade. Chances are if you are upgraded it would be to another balcony cabin not a mini. One thing to keep in mind with the way Princess has the balconies an upgrade may really not be one in reality.

Scott

I also agree - if you like your cabin - ask for no upgrades.

I have read countless stories of people who were upgraded and the TA did not notify them (or the TA wasn't notified themselves) and the person wanted their original cabin back and couldn't get it.

The last upgrade I received, the TA was not notified. I saw it in the Personalizer. It was a good upgrade, so it didn't matter.

They are supposed to check with you to see if you want the upgrade but frequently it doesn't happen that way (so i've heard, I never have been upgraded).

Bottomline if you want a specific cabin request no upgrade. If you are willing to take a chance then put yourself in for the upgrade. Chances are if you are upgraded it would be to another balcony cabin not a mini. One thing to keep in mind with the way Princess has the balconies an upgrade may really not be one in reality.

Scott

Thanks both of you for your responses. That is exactly what I am afraid of, getting an upgrade that is not really an upgrade at all. I'm in a BA category, what could they upgrade me to in my category? I specifically chose c518 for a triple, port side on caribe deck to make sure that we had a large deck and to be on a particular side for docking. I would not like being moved unless it was too another spot I really like. I'm not great with unknowns with situations like this. Since my family is rarely all in the same cabin at the same time, I think I am doing the right thing. I see it being uncomfortable in the mornings when my son is sleeping but we are usually out on the balcony. I We only have 2 sea days unlike our last cruise which had 4. We spend alot of time on the balcony on sea days. I guess I should keep things the way they are.

Deborah

Keep one thing in mind also. Most upgrades are to the same category, just a different location on the ship. Being upgraded to a mini suite can and does happen occassionally but there is a chance you would be upgraded to just another balcony cabin that the balcony was smaller or totally exposed. I agree, if you picked this cabin for location and the size of the balcony, keep it, and request no upgrades from Princess.

When Princess sets up the booking there is an area of questions such as: Table for how many, Traditional or PC, Beds together or not etc. One of the questions is auto cabin upgrade or not.

As a previous Princess cruiser - 3 more cruises to become Elite - I have been offered an upgrade 1 time and automatically upgraded 3 times (This is out of 13 cruises since 1992)

Inside to outside (right across the hall) - Crown P. - offered

Inside to balcony - Coral P. - automatic

Inside to Inside - higher deck and better location. Ocean P.- automatic

Outside to balcony - Star P. - automatic

Steve Hayes

When I recently booked my cruise my TA asked if I was willing to take a complimentary upgrade IF Princess wanted to give us one. She said that if I said yes and we received an upgrade, it would be automatic, I would not be consulted before the upgrade was finalized.We are sailing July 30, 2005 on the CP. I booked a specific cabin C518 on the Caribe deck. I chose this cabin after reading all the recommendations on this board about ship location and balcony size. Since we love to spend time on our balcony, I wanted a really big one midship since on my first cruise in June I got sick the 1st couple of days.

Because of the location I asked my TA NOT to take a complimentary upgrade if Princess offered one to us. However, after reading some recenting postings, I'm wondering if that was a good idea. There are 3 of us travelling. My DS truly uses the cabin to sleep and is hardly ever there. My DH loves the cabin and likes sitting on the balcony so I was willing to trade space for a larger balcony. I also like the fact that the Caribe deck is partially covered. However, reading about the mini's and the size really has me intriqued. But, I don't like the idea of an open balcony like on the Dolphin deck. But the Aloha decks are covered:confused: I've got way too much information.

Here is my question, should I change this request with my TA? It seems that based on the posts here, the TA MUST check with you BEFORE accepting the upgrade. This seems to be contrary to what the TA told me. If I had the opportunity to KNOW where the upgraded cabin is located, I could make an informed decision as to whether I should take it or not. What do you guys think? Should I change this with the TA? Do they( Princess and the TA) have to let you know what the upgrade is before finalizing?

One caveat, I know this is all hypothetical because there is no rhyme or reason as to who gets an upgrade and who does not. Of course, for me, I live in Murphy's law world a lot of the time. If I say no upgrade, I will get one, if I say I want it, I won't:D Just trying to be prepared.

Advice?

Deborah

Keep one thing in mind also. Most upgrades are to the same category, just a different location on the ship. Being upgraded to a mini suite can and does happen occassionally but there is a chance you would be upgraded to just another balcony cabin that the balcony was smaller or totally exposed.

There's no chance for her family to be upgraded except to a mini suite or suite. Upgrades have to be to a higher category and she's booked the highest balcony category.

Upgrades within a type of cabin are frequent for people who book the lowest categories for that type of cabin. People are frequently upgraded from BF, BE, and BD balcony cabins to BC, BB, and BA balcony cabins. People get upgraded from M, L, and K inside cabins to J and I category inside cabins.

I would mark my booking to be eligible for upgrades knowing that I'll get a larger cabin even if it doesn't have a covered balcony. I'd rather be in one of the Dolphin mini suites than a Caribe balcony cabin. You can always open the door and pretend you have a covered balcony.

Every day, I learn something useful on this forum. We recently booked our first cruise with Princess on Grand. We reserved a CC cabin which I wouldn't trade for ANY balcony cabin. I just sent our TA an e-mail telling her to mark us a NO for auto upgrade.

Thanks guys.

We always say no to an upgrade...either we are in a high inside and don't want to go down to a low deck outside, or we are in a high balcony and don't want to be moved to a lower deck minisuite or more forward on the ship. For us, the location of the cabin is more important than the cabin itself. Still, we always ask if a complimentary upgrade is available once we get to the pier, because then we have the right to turn it down if it isn't really better for us.

I have always agreed to accept an upgrade. Have gotten several but mostly just to a different location. Last cruise I received an upgrade to Premium Suite which was wonderful. I have never been notified nor asked whether any upgrade was acceptable to me. When I was upgraded to full suite, TA claimed she didn't know anything about it. So, if you allow yourself to be upgraded, don't expect to be given an option. I know others have said they were asked, but I have been upgraded at least 10 times and have never been asked. The only way I ever found out was to keep checking the cruise personalizer.

ok - My experiences: (Keep in mind I've always found out on the personalizer, and NOT thru my TA)

- On the Star in 2002, I was upgraded from a BC cabin to a PH cabin! (HELL YES!)

- On the TP inaugural in 2002 I was upgraded from a BC to a BA, but it was on the bow of the ship (lots of WIND), so I told them to give me my original cabin back since we were not gaining any space, and would virtually lose some use of the balcony, where I damned near LIVE while on a cruise. (who wants wind on their face all the time?)

- On the Sun Princess in 2003 - booked a BC cabin on Baja deck, midship, next door to exMIL. We all got upgraded to BA cabins on Aloha deck, but didn't want to be right underneath the main pool area, so again, since we were not gaining any space, we chose to keep our original cabins. THEN as a CC member, got an offer to upgrade to a mini-suite (almost like a PH on the Grand class ships) for $150pp so we jumped at it.

Everytime I found out through constant checking on the Personalizer, and both times we had 24hrs to accept or decline the upgrade.

This morning I got an email from my TA advising that I could have an upgrade from E625 to C325 and Island Princess, 3/20/05 Hawaii. I picked E625 because it has a bigger balcony than other cat BEs and it was covered. I advised my TA that I would only accept an upgrade if the balcony was at least as big as the one I had, and the balcony was covered. I think they did OK, because from what I read this balcony is partially covered and is very large (Cat BA). I did specifically tell the TA that I did not want an upgrade to a higher category balcony cabin if the balcony was smaller.

So if I'm reading everyone's post correctly, then I should leave things the way they are? Neither my husband or I like the sun and I'm really concerned about a cabin in the forward area of the ship. If the min-suite balconys were partially covered, I would go for it but I rally don't want an uncovered balcony and I suspect the dolphin deck is where we would end up don't you think?

Deborah

I would leave things the way they are, since you have specific location concerns.:)

originally posted by JMB410

Still, we always ask if a complimentary upgrade is available once we get to the pier, because then we have the right to turn it down if it isn't really better for us.
Just wondering about the frequency of success with this method. Have many of you been able to upgrade at the pier? Thanks:)

The other thing you could do is advise your TA of your specific concerns and that you be asked before the upgrade occurs. That is what I did, and it seems to have worked, we got the big balcony that is not totally exposed, and I would have been happy where we started!!

The other thing you could do is advise your TA of your specific concerns and that you be asked before the upgrade occurs. That is what I did, and it seems to have worked, we got the big balcony that is not totally exposed, and I would have been happy where we started!!

Actually, I did ask the TA and she told me that she could not ask me before it happens, it would be automatic. Of course I referred to the CC board but she stood her ground.

Thx

Deborah

I booked the Sea Princess yesterday for 12/2005. Got a BA forward cabin on the Riviera Deck. The other BA's were Aloha Deck, didn't want to be under pools. Wanted a BB on the Baja Deck, but none were available. The TA wanted to know if I would take an upgrade. She said Princess could either give me another BA cabin or higher. Told her forget it, don't want them to give me a BA under the pools, but if I get a Mini I'd want that. Did I do the right thing by turning it down??? Would Princess notify my TA, & do I get the chance to turn the upgrade down, if it's to another BA?

Minette

I booked the Sea Princess yesterday for 12/2005. Got a BA forward cabin on the Riviera Deck. The other BA's were Aloha Deck, didn't want to be under pools. Wanted a BB on the Baja Deck, but none were available. The TA wanted to know if I would take an upgrade. She said Princess could either give me another BA cabin or higher. Told her forget it, don't want them to give me a BA under the pools, but if I get a Mini I'd want that. Did I do the right thing by turning it down??? Would Princess notify my TA, & do I get the chance to turn the upgrade down, if it's to another BA?

Minette

I would probably open myself up for a possible upgrade. Most of the time- Princess will not move you to another BA cabin (though I saw one case where they did) - if you were upgraded, it would be a minisuite (which would be cool).

I would probably open myself up for a possible upgrade. Most of the time- Princess will not move you to another BA cabin (though I saw one case where they did) - if you were upgraded, it would be a minisuite (which would be cool).

Thanks for the fast answer to my question. I'll put an e-mail in to my TA, telling her I want to be upgraded. I'll take my chances.

Minette

There are probably exceptions and work arounds, but my TA defined Princess' upgrade policy as follows:

I have advised Princess that you DO NOT want an auto upgrade, which means you will sail in the cabin you currently are in. In so doing, your booking will NOT be considered for an upgrade to ANY other category, including a Mini Suite. Unfortunately this is the way Princess handles upgrades, we do not get a courtesy call offering an upgrade, subject to your approval. It is done automatically and sometimes passengers don’t even find out about an upgrade until they board the ship.

There is misinformation regarding upgrades.

If you booked a specific cabin in the BA category then an upgrade can only be done if it is in a HIGHER category - NOT to just another BA cabin category.

However, if you booked a BA guarantee then you would get a BA cabin or higher.

To get an upgrade above a BA would be to a mini-suite. I would accept that upgrade anytime. Especially since the mini-suites on the Sea Princess are enormous at 370-536 square feet.

Steve Hayes

Minette

There is misinformation regarding upgrades.

If you booked a specific cabin in the BA category then an upgrade can only be done if it is in a HIGHER category - NOT to just another BA cabin category.

However, if you booked a BA guarantee then you would get a BA cabin or higher.

To get an upgrade above a BA would be to a mini-suite. I would accept that upgrade anytime. Especially since the mini-suites on the Sea Princess are enormous at 370-536 square feet.

Steve Hayes

Thanks Steve for that info.

That's what I had thought, but this is what my TA told me yesterday. I already got a reply from my her. She reopened my booking to say I'll take an upgrade. Here's hoping if I do get one, it's to those enormous mini-suites you were talking about.

Minette

Someone posted here about a month ago that he booked a BA cabin (with his kids across the hall in an inside) and somehow Princess switched his cabin to another BA cabin on the other side fo the ship. He didn't find out until they got to the ship. He was told this happened because he didn't mark "no upgrades".

So, while I want to say Princess will keep you in your BA or give you someething better - in his case, Princess did switch him to a different cabin. Rare, but it did happen.

Archived