Need Advice on Galveston Port - Please

snowshh

We're sailing the following week, and will be staying overnight in one of the Clearlake/NASA area hotels. Prices and availability in Galveston were pretty tight, because of Mardi Gras. We're driving to port, though, so I haven't really looked at the shuttle/cab/limo situation.

We booked a day-before with RCI. We stayed at the Tremont in Galveston. We flew into Bush International and was met by an RCI rep in baggage claim. Took a little over an hour and a half to get to the Tremont. The shuttle stopped at some other hotels before we were dropped off. The Tremont is fabulous!! Got up early the next morning and walked to the pier (block and a half)and watched the ship come in. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Using the cruiseline was more expensive, but I am willing to pay extra for the convenience.

Mike

jeh - I can tell you a lot about the ports if you tell me what itinerary you are doing. Voyager is doing 2 different ones.

Cozumel is on both. We enjoy it a lot. Most likely the ship will dock at the International Pier which means you will have to take a cab into town and to most beaches. It's not expensive and there are plenty of cabs. Good shopping and most places will negotiate. We have gone to Paradise Beach many times and always enjoy it. If you are interested in snorkeling or diving, the water is lovely in this port. This time we are trying Nachi Cocom because there are so many ships in port when we go that we feel PB will be more crowded. If you like a party scene, Carlos & Charlies in town is the dance place with the great music and the strong drinks.

These ports are different than the Eastern ports. Not as exotic I guess would be the best description. But the beaches are great in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Roatan Honduras.

We went on the X Galaxy out of Galveston in 2005 (half way thru the Panama Canal, great cruise). We flew in to IAH (Bush Int'l), rented a car from Enterprise, then stayed overnight with friends outside of Houston. We drove to Galveston the next morning. Very easy, dropped off the bags, then took the car to Enterprise and the shuttle back to the pier. Just as easy in reverse when we returned.

Even if you fly in on the day of embarkation, renting a car at IAH is the way to go.

that's not true unless you are really lost or you forget to check the traffic / road closure alerts - it's only 68 miles, all freeway. the gas pedal is the one on the right ;) :)

All I can say is. in Houston traffic, plan for the worst and hope for the best....It usually takes me 35-40 minutes to get from Hobby to my house in Clear Lake.

I only wish I got to use the gas pedal...unfortunately, I spend lots of time using that other rectangular pedal....the one in the middle.

The freeway to Galveston is under construction around NASA Parkway and is frequently closed on Sundays while "the bypass" is being built. Even if it is open, things are really slow through that area.

Snowssh, you are getting lots of advice here. Take whatever of it you choose.... just have a great cruise and don't miss the boat!

We have previously stayed at the Baymont Inn and Suites in Galveston. The hotel was new last year and clean, the room was huge. Continental breakfast was OK, nothing special. We will be there for the Voyager cruise of 3/2/2008.

Was this the Baymont you stayed at? I have booked 4 rooms. I was told they are 3.5 miles from RCL port, do not have shuttle but will call taxi.

Thanks!

All I can say is. in Houston traffic, plan for the worst and hope for the best....It usually takes me 35-40 minutes to get from Hobby to my house in Clear Lake.

I only wish I got to use the gas pedal...unfortunately, I spend lots of time using that other rectangular pedal....the one in the middle.

The freeway to Galveston is under construction around NASA Parkway and is frequently closed on Sundays while "the bypass" is being built. Even if it is open, things are really slow through that area.

Snowssh, you are getting lots of advice here. Take whatever of it you choose.... just have a great cruise and don't miss the boat!

point taken...I drive in the I-10 construction zone every day :eek: and suffer the total closures every weekend - will they ever be finished???

point taken...I drive in the I-10 construction zone every day :eek: and suffer the total closures every weekend - will they ever be finished???

Wow! I-10!!! We feel for you!!!!!! That is a horrible drive....makes our construction look pretty insignificant. I am SO sorry for you! You might want to leave tomorrow in order to get to Galveston by Jan 13....heeheehee!

I always thought that freeway construction eventually ended, but I am rethinking that. My first time to visit Houston was when I was pregnant with my daughter and the Gulf Freeway (I-45 S) was under construction between Houston and Galveston. Jenny is 33 now! Yes, that's 33 years old....and the construction is still going on!

Hopefully, your construction will not go on that long....you have my deepest sympathies.

Archived