Need Advice on Galveston Port - Please

snowshh

We are on Voyager of the Seas 01/27/08 out of Galveston, TX. Can anyone give any advice about staying at the airport in Houston vs. traveling on to Galveston for our pre-cruise night? I understand it's over an hour drive. Did you use RCCL for hotel and transfers or get hotel and transportation on your own? Looking on line, transportation looks rather expensive. This is our first departure from Galveston. If you used RCL hotel in Houston, do you remember what time they pick you up to head to the ship? Can't figure what's best and reasonable cost wise. Thanks so much any help!!

There are lots of hotel options in Galveston for every price level. I would try there first. You don't mention what airport you are flying into but Bush Intercontinental is well over an hour away from Galveston and that's without traffic. Hobby is about 45 minutes away. Shuttles and limos would probably be $$$ because it is quite a distance. You can rent a car but check about the one way situation. You might look at the Ports of Call board, Gulf Coast Departures for information.

I'll get in trouble with the Houstonians for this but I'd stay in Galveston rather than Houston - Galveston is quite charming and you would have a nice relaxed Sunday morning since anywhere in Galveston would only be about 10 minutes or less from the port.

Transportation-wise we used Galveston Limo - a shuttle service. Learned about them from these boards. Would use again. Very efficient. Cheaper than a cab or renting a car (2 people). check our their web site.

Also would recommend staying in Galveston - that way you are right there. We met a group from Cruise Critic's Meet and Mingle for dinner the night before - worked out very well.

Most of the hotels in Galveston had free shuttle to the pier - we chose to take a cab because we didn't want to wait for the shutle - it was under $10 from he hotel to the pier.

I have to second the idea of staying in Galveston. Traffic in Houston, even on weekends, is iffy due to road construction. I stay in Galveston the night before when I cruise, and I live about an hour from the dock. I see where some of the limo companies charge $150-$200 for transport from IAH to Galveston. Many of the Galveston hotels offer transportation to the pier. I know other people have posted about renting a car from IAH and dropping it off in Galveston. I think the cost was around $60 for 24 hours.

keep in mind that is Mardi Gras weekend in Galveston. prices will be a bit higher and there will be more traffic.

c'mon over to our roll call - there are LOTS of us on your sailing :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=342243

also the gulf coast port of call board, with lots of threads about Galveston:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

Galveston Limo. Year after year they get high marks from folks that have used them. Lower prices than the Cruise line's transfer. You travel in vans, versus waiting for a bus to fill.

Urge you to check hotels NOW.

If you can, look to flying into HOBBY. You can stay are an airport hotel for a very reasonable price on a Saturday evening. Since it is Mardi Gras in Galveston, you MIGHT (not sure) run into two night or three night minimums. If you stay at a Hotel near HOBBY, by the way, wide-wide price range so you can find something that fits, then use Galveston Limo on Sunday evening.

You will love sailing out of Galveston. RCI has it DOWN COLD when it comes to embarkation and disembarkation. You will find the majority of the ship will be the friendliest, nicest folks you will ever meet....TEXANS!!!!!

note, however, that the area around Hobby airport isn't the greatest. if you arrive late and just want to head to a hotel it should be fine. otherwise, head toward Galveston and enjoy the festivities. you can see on our roll call where other cruisers are staying.

Definitely book a hotel and transfers on your own. Hotel wise you will be able to find something for a lot less than the cruiseline is offering. As to transfers, RCCL only offers transfers from IAH so if you are flying from Hobby it won't do you any good. The one thing to think about is I believe that weekend may be Mardi Gras weekend in Galveston so hotels may be scarce. You might get better hotel deals staying in Houston near the airport (whichever one you fly into).

We are on Voyager of the Seas 01/27/08 out of Galveston, TX. Can anyone give any advice about staying at the airport in Houston vs. traveling on to Galveston for our pre-cruise night? I understand it's over an hour drive. Did you use RCCL for hotel and transfers or get hotel and transportation on your own? Looking on line, transportation looks rather expensive. This is our first departure from Galveston. If you used RCL hotel in Houston, do you remember what time they pick you up to head to the ship? Can't figure what's best and reasonable cost wise. Thanks so much any help!!

The reason I asked if you are a part of the group cruise is because I am the group leader for this group.I am considering looking into helping shuttle those that are part of the group that still need transpo...I just need to get an idea of how many need transpotation to check out the options..

I have contacted Galveston Limo and their prices seem reasonable - less than RCL. What I can't find now is a hotel uner $175.00 thats decent. I looked at the Ramada and the reviews on Tripadvisor are not good. Actually the Super 8 Hotel has better reviews and not expensive. Has anyone had any experience at either of these lately? We would definately rather be in Galveston but may just end up at the Doubletree with RCL at the Houston airport. I'm so tired of looking!

Oh, I haven't figured out how to get registered on the Meet & Mingle yet but I'm still trying!!!

I can give high praise for the Harbor House right on the water. In the past, they have offered a cruise special. It might not be advertised on their website, so give them a call. Pretend you are a past cruiser.

You pay an extra $20 or so and you can leave your vehicle in their lot for the week. It's close enough to the pier you can actually walk your luggage down to the terminal if you're not taking the kitchen sink.

I've never cruised during Mardi Gras weekend before, but I HAVE gone to Galveston for Mardi Gras before. Be forewarned -- it's a big dang deal and the Strand WILL be packed!

If you do choose to stay on the island, you will need to get parked early and consider yourself staying put. You won't be driving around. But you'll be within walking distance of anything you would need.

Enjoy your cruise!

We are flying into Bush in Houston. I get my name on the Roll Call "list". Don't know if that's all I need to do brn2rz

From that airport you are just over 2 hours from Galveston. You might consider staying at one of the hotels in the Clear Lake area (several on NASA Parkway) the night before the cruise and having a cab or limo pick you up the morning of the cruise. Since you are departing on the weekend prior to the main weekend of Mardi Gras, you may be able to find a hotel on the island, but it will not be cheap. Of course, that would be my first choice....

If you decide to rent a car, be aware that the freeway to Galveston is under construction. You might want to take Hwy 146 south to where it runs into I-45 S (near Bayou Vista). At that point, if you get on I-45 S, you are just a few minutes from the port.

We rented a car from Enterprise. Enterprise shuttled us to the "off site pickup" to get our car for $69 one way overnight. Very friendly staff at the car rental desk. They printed us directions to the hotel and port as well as drop off instructions for the rental return.

After investigating the "Hotels - Pre & Post Cruise" thread, chose the Harbor House at Pier 21. The rate was fair enough, $99 for a very large harbor view room with two queen size beds. The view, when we arrived, was incredible! We had a direct view of the water and the terminal. A Carnival ship was getting ready to set sail and all passengers were at their Muster Stations. It looked like we were only about 100 yards away from the ship from our hotel window.

Next door to the hotel on the pier, is a place called "Willie G’s". Great food, fresh seafood, and friendly Texans.

If you are traveling during Galvestons Mardi Gras weekend and want to stay about 30 minutes from Galveston, go to www.clearlakehotels.com

This will put you in the Clear Lake/League City/Seabrook/Kemah area. There may also be a link to the Texas City hotels from the clearlakehotels website. The Texas City hotels are about 20 minutes from G

We have previously stayed at the Baymont Inn and Suites in Galveston. The hotel was new last year and clean, the room was huge. Continental breakfast was OK, nothing special. We will be there for the Voyager cruise of 3/2/2008.

We have used Enterprise car rental in the past, but I had heard that they do not offer Sunday service anymore for the return from your cruise. We went with Hertz for this cruise. We fly into Hobby on Southwest and pick up our car Friday morning, spend two nights at the Baymont and return the car on Sunday to the Hertz Broadway office location. I don't know if they offer shuttle to the port on embarkation Sunday (I have to call the Hertz office in Galveston today to get the particulars). When our ship returns to Galveston the following Sunday, they have a rental desk in the Carnival terminal building, I will walk over there from the RCCL terminal and check in for my return car to Hobby. They shuttle you from there to the car lot, you get your car, and return to the terminal building to pick up the rest of your party and luggage.

Hypo

From that airport you are just over 2 hours from Galveston. You might consider staying at one of the hotels in the Clear Lake area (several on NASA Parkway) the night before the cruise and having a cab or limo pick you up the morning of the cruise. Since you are departing on the weekend prior to the main weekend of Mardi Gras, you may be able to find a hotel on the island, but it will not be cheap. Of course, that would be my first choice....

If you decide to rent a car, be aware that the freeway to Galveston is under construction. You might want to take Hwy 146 south to where it runs into I-45 S (near Bayou Vista). At that point, if you get on I-45 S, you are just a few minutes from the port.

that's not true unless you are really lost or you forget to check the traffic / road closure alerts - it's only 68 miles, all freeway. the gas pedal is the one on the right ;) :)

We also stayed at the Harbor House in Galveston and were able to walk to the pier for check in. We stayed in Galveston for 3 nights pre cruise - what a lovely city to explore, a great downtown district close to the ship and if you are willing to go a bit further, lots of lovely old mansions and antique shops. The Harbor House was wonderful

We took the shuttle from Houston to Galveston (private shuttle, don't remember which one) both ways - good, reliable service, but takes a while because traffic is horrible and you have to drop off passengers at a lot of the hotels on route (ours was the last stop)

We drove in the night before and stayed at the Hilton Galveston Island Resort after renting a car at Budget.

The hotel was very nice and it was right accross the street from the beach.

The next morning we drove to Budget (about 5-10 minutes away), dropped off the car and took their shuttle to the port (again about 5-10 minutes).

Another option would be to turn the car back in the night before and get the budget shuttle to take you back to the Hilton since they have a shuttle (you have to pay for it) to the port the next day.

When we got back we took the shuttle to Budget to pick up a car and drove back to Houston. We stayed at the Marriott by Hobby airport since that is where we were flying out of the next day.

It was a very succesful plan that we enjoyed.

Have a great trip!

snowshh,

Look at the top of of this page of postings and your will see a list :: Meet & Mingle Info and RCCL Meet & Mingle FAQ the Register to attend a Meet & Mingle Party. Click on that and it will take you to the correct page. You will need your reservation number in order to sign up for it. Come join us on the Roll Call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=342243&page=214

I'm heading to NC on Monday to see my folks.

Beth

We've stayed at Harbor House too but I've gotta jump in on the "walk to the pier" comments. While you can indeed walk to the pier, I've gotta say our experiences were not pleasant. Galveston can be humid, you are walking over uneven pavement with rolling luggage and breathing in car/bus/van/taxi fumes most of the way. After arriving sweaty and nasty from fumes, we have always gotten a cab. It's less than $10 well spent. I am in good physical condition and work out every single day and even I wouldn't want to start off a lovely cruise like that ever again. Others may have had pleasant little jaunts to the pier but not us. :)

We've stayed at Harbor House too but I've gotta jump in on the "walk to the pier" comments. While you can indeed walk to the pier, I've gotta say our experiences were not pleasant. Galveston can be humid, you are walking over uneven pavement with rolling luggage and breathing in car/bus/van/taxi fumes most of the way. After arriving sweaty and nasty from fumes, we have always gotten a cab. It's less than $10 well spent. I am in good physical condition and work out every single day and even I wouldn't want to start off a lovely cruise like that ever again. Others may have had pleasant little jaunts to the pier but not us. :)

hopefully the humidity won't be an issue in late january :) but I thought the same as you - take a cab - especially if you have alot of luggage.

Archived