Hello from the PG

RMS Olympic

Today we are sailing towards Bora Bora and having finally remembered my password I can log in.

The trip has been fabulous and I cannot complain about anything.

Met Peggy and George (CUATSEA)......what great people!

We are fully booked this voygae, and oh what an ecletic group on board...everyone seems to be having a wonderful time.

A breif synopsis.

Flight from LA: Air Tahiti was good....the plane was not full do people could move around and in some cases stretch out on adjoing seats. Food was good anf wine/ spirits were available at no charge. Althought the flight seemed long it was comfortable. The indidula TV screens in the seat backes came in handy.

Arrived papeete at about 6:30 local time. There are no jet ways so be prepared to disembark the plane down the stairs. Going through customs took only a few moments and then we were met by a Regent rep to get on the bus to the hotel. I stayed at the radisson for 2 nights precruise which was just about right. The hotel is not in walking distance to Papeete (downtown). The hotel is much smaller than the Beachcomber, but is very pretty and has a fabulous infinity pool. There are aspects that the beachcomber has that are better than the Radisson....but the room I was assigned at the rad was beyond anything I expected. A good size bed room with flat scree TV and individual air condition unit. There was a large bathroom, 2 bowl type sinks, bath tub a separarte shower and water clset room. In addition there was a living room (couch, table, 2 chairs abd a dex\sk with a flat screen TV and another air cond unit. Toping this off was a large veranda with furniture....and finally a half bath just as you enter the room. Room number was 2206.....very nice.

Service at the hotel was slow, but pleasant.

Departure time going to the ship was about 3pm.....boarding was only minutes formalities took place under a tent...a quick security photo and credit card imprint nad you were done.

The ship: in good repair. The Staff is wonderful.....the Phillipino bar men and waiters cannot do enough for you.

Food.......I cannot find any fault. Some of the best meals at seain my opinion.

Beverages: not signing for drinks is very strange, but a blessing. I have not seen any sloppy people taking advantage of the alcohol availability. But there have been some happy people on board....me for on.

Note: The bar tenders are very generous in how they make you drink......so Regent is not trying to cut corners. The wines at dinner have been great and compliment the cuisine beautifully.

Cabin service is good but slow. I am in 318 (the lowest category and it is just fine). The bath tub is a real treat after a long day in the sun.

I had the chance to dine on the balcony of one of the new cabins that were built where the old smoking club was. This would be by cabin of choice if I came back. There is more vibration thewre in the stern...but you can lie in bed and look atthe wake of the ship. Note: there is a large walkin shower that could fit 2 adults at the same time...wink wink, but no bath tub. The bronze glass mosaic tile on the floor and walls is breath taking as well as sexy.

Well enough for now......did the gym this morning, then coffee and some of that great french bread with butter...oh and a dainsh with chocolate in it......the waist line appears to be expanding:(

By the way.....for the gym rats......3 bicycles, 2 stair masters, 3 tread mills, 2 Elyptical trainers with the arm units. a small rack of free weights. Nuff to keep you busy.

Well its time to get out to the pool and be lazy.

Cheers from the PG......sail this ship....its paradise.

Tom

Thanks for the report. We will be on the ship soon and can't wait!! Do they still offer the 2 bottles of alcohol in the stateroom?(You have to ask, I understand)).

How is the weather? Rainy?

Have you tried the raisin walnut bread in the morning?

It is wonderful!!!

I was anxiously awaiting you to make contact from the PG :D

I am happy to hear that you liked the Rad as my DH and I are staying there in April for our two pre-cruise nights. I wonder if most of the rooms are like the one you described? We plan on hanging out by the pool to recoup from the long trip from Toronto so nice to hear the pool was beautiful. Look forward to hearing more about your experience with the PG and the excursions you would recommend. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Thanks for reporting in, RMS Olympic! I am so pleased to hear about those new aft cabins...we are booked in one for the New Year's cruise and cannot wait. I LOVE a big shower and won't miss the tub at all.

I hope the weather is decent for you - I've been hearing rain, rain, rain - chime in again when you are able, please!

Glad to hear that cabin 318 is a good cabin because I have 312 in June.

Enjoy the cruise. I am cruising vicariously through your posts. :)

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know when you were cruising. Lisa and I are on the 25th cruise and we are doing about 10 dives while on the cruise...lets us know.

Rudy and Lisa

Rudy:

My wife, Carolin, and I will be getting off the ship as you board. We are doing the 11 day on June 14th. It is a 35th wedding anniversary cruise for us.

Ahhh that is too bad we were hoping we would find some fellow SCUBA buddies! Either way enjoy the cruise heard it should be awesome diving!!!

Jay - Do you know if there is a Roll Call thread yet for the June 14 cruise? My husband and I and his parents will be on the cruise. The in-laws are celebrating their 50th anniversary. My husband will be joining you for scuba diving.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

I have not seen any roll call for our cruise. Looks like we have just started one. However, we should move it to a separate thread. I had previously asked RMS Olympic to get me the dailys from his cruise because it is covering the same itinerary as ours. I hope he is not having so much fun that he forgets. (Hope he reads this)

Jay

Overall the cruise was perfect.

Notes: The cabin frig had water sodas and a few beers. There were no bottles of hard spirits...I never thought to ask for nay.

The bars and bar service were superb. The drinks made on board were veryvery generous.....and strong. I did not see any people get sloppy.....so the alll inclusive drink policy did not adversely affect the cruise experience.

Scuba...from what I her was great...all divers were more tyhan satisfied with their dives...the dive staff was great.

I my self fell in love with kayacking...and will buy one. waterskiinf was wonderful......my back wasn't happy, but I was.

Jay......I have collected everything for you and will get your address when I return home.....even saved the night time chocolates for you....and the excursion listing with pricing.

Weather...sunny and beautiful for most of the cruise....actually a lot milder temperature wise than I expected. Rain on the way to Bora Bora. At that stop is was raining in the morning...cloudy but warm most of the day and sunny about 5 pm. The overcast actual worked out well since people were not baking. Morea was beautiful. All in all we had about 2 days of bad weather but it di not spoil the trip.

Shade at pool.....yest the last refit they added canvas awnings on both sides of the ship. On the side with the bar....wooden chairs and tables....on eht eother side of the ship is space for the lounge chairs. There are spaces outside of the La Varanda restaurant that hace tables and chairs for dining....during the day its a great place to sit and read...hold hand nd have a beverage.

The social part of the ship is the expanded piano bar area...it became the party place and should be expned some more.

Other thought.....tea time in La pallette was surpriising good...not my cup of tea, but i did make it a few times.

Excursion......THE WAVE RUNNER IN BORA BORA!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah baby, daddy liked it!

Newly made friends Bob and Pat (in their 60's) did the parasail in Morea....she sid no but shamed her into it......she said it was so good she was ready to do it again.

By the way for any out there that have mobility problems.......dont be concerned...the crew helped out and I did not see anyone with a cane a chair or a walker having to just sit idle...they were up and about...no problems on the tenders, on the docks....on the ground transportation.

Food......watch it......I gained 10 pounds........the new Zealand beef.......wow.......Shrimp coctail (3 big ones) was available at lunch and dinner by just asking. Menues were very diverse and although the portions seemd small....adding all the courses...you left the table stuffed. Fish...try the moon fish........tastes like Grouper/hallibut combination.

General comment on the ship...she is not fancy like her siblings......some people that came over from the mariner thought she was a "plain jane"...but the ship size is perfect...the marina wonderful and a crew that never says no. A perfect vacation.

One last note...we receiced a paper in our cabins concerning the sale or Regent to Apollo...it stated that the product will not change....management will stay in place, but expect a new ship on the horizon.

To Mr Conroy...if you read this posting.....Kurt the bar manager is a treasure. He has a staff that goes way beyond what is found on other ships to include seabourn. In particular were kelly, Randy and Jorge.

Dining waiter....Ceasar and Joselito in Le etoile (was was the best dining experience).

I will try to write some additional notes once I return home and try to answer any specific question while things are fresh in my mind.

As this was my 5th radisson/Regent cruise.....I have to say this cruise line is as good as it gets and I'll stick with it....let us all hope Mr Conroy stays put and the regent experience is maintained....if it aint broke...dont mess with it. I will be back her in the future for sure.

Till next time........I can truly say....I wish you were here.

Tom

Oh my gosh! Could I possibly be anymore excited for our upcoming PG cruise!!!??? Thank you so much for reporting in again, Tom. I had forgotten all about Kurt - but you are right, he is awesome!!! I am so glad we'll get to see him again.

Safe travels home, and I look forward to hearing more about your cruise. Sounds like you had a fantastic time.

Oh my gosh! Could I possibly be anymore excited for our upcoming PG cruise!!!??? Thank you so much for reporting in again, Tom. I had forgotten all about Kurt - but you are right, he is awesome!!! I am so glad we'll get to see him again.

Safe travels home, and I look forward to hearing more about your cruise. Sounds like you had a fantastic time.

Now I can't wait. leaving on January 13, then cruise the PG on the 16th and staying on for the 26th cruise. Happy New Year

Mike

Oh the time change......and the house is rocking......

Will try to gather some thoughts and post some additional information a little later on today.

For those sailing in the near future......go to the pool bar and ask Kelly for a Cosmo the special way he made it for me......Tom's special. It is fantastic!.....He squeezes fresh orange juice in it.......:p

By the way I am so hooked on the kyacking I intend to buy one when I move to Florida in 2008. Another thing.....water skiing.....great!:D

Laundry time now if I can keep awake.

Ciao for now.;)

Tom:

I have been diving from my "sit on top" kayak more many years. It works great. There are several different styles and many types within the styles. They have some with pedal propulsion, sail assists, and then the original style that are used in swift water. Do the research before you buy. The stability of the kayak varies considerably between various manufactures. Down side for stability is that you are very susceptible to wind. The best advice I can give is try before you buy.

For those sailing in the near future......go to the pool bar and ask Kelly for a Cosmo the special way he made it for me......Tom's special. It is fantastic!.....He squeezes fresh orange juice in it.......:p

Will do...I love cosmos!

Disembarkation day....

Starts right after lunch. Lunch was available in the Le etoile and was a very nice buffet including a roasted pig...cocktails were available as well.

Earlier in the cruise you had the choice of taking a tour before heading to the hotel or going straight to the hotel that provided the day room. Rooms are not available till about 2:30 to 3:00.

The tour is not worth it...a small museum and then an ancient site with some statues. I would have rather sat at the hotel pool or in it for that matter. (pack a small plastic bag for your wet bathing suit).

Bring a carry on because your luggage is stored until bus loading time.

At 5:15 you are suppose to meet at the lobby to point out your bags. Between 6 and 6:30 pm its get on the bus to the airport.

I did not think the line was any longer than most airports...but it is hot and muggy. we flew out a bit late due to having to wait for 50 passengers coming off a connecting flight that was late......believe it came in from Australia.

About 11:30pm a light meal was offered then it was time to sleep. Before landing we were offered breakfast. Arrived LAX at about 8:15 in the morning LA time.

Air Tahiti Nui is a pretty good airline...no complaints....leg room adequate although the seats seemed narrow......wonder if it had something to do with all the food I ate on the ship.....duh:rolleyes:

I miss the weather, the sun shine and all that good service....nobody made my bed this morning....reality sucks:(

Disembarkation day....

Starts right after lunch. Lunch was available in the Le etoile and was a very nice buffet including a roasted pig...cocktails were available as well.

Earlier in the cruise you had the choice of taking a tour before heading to the hotel or going straight to the hotel that provided the day room. Rooms are not available till about 2:30 to 3:00.

The tour is not worth it...a small museum and then an ancient site with some statues. I would have rather sat at the hotel pool or in it for that matter. (pack a small plastic bag for your wet bathing suit).

Bring a carry on because your luggage is stored until bus loading time.

At 5:15 you are suppose to meet at the lobby to point out your bags. Between 6 and 6:30 pm its get on the bus to the airport.

I did not think the line was any longer than most airports...but it is hot and muggy. we flew out a bit late due to having to wait for 50 passengers coming off a connecting flight that was late......believe it came in from Australia.

About 11:30pm a light meal was offered then it was time to sleep. Before landing we were offered breakfast. Arrived LAX at about 8:15 in the morning LA time.

Air Tahiti Nui is a pretty good airline...no complaints....leg room adequate although the seats seemed narrow......wonder if it had something to do with all the food I ate on the ship.....duh:rolleyes:

I miss the weather, the sun shine and all that good service....nobody made my bed this morning....reality sucks:(

Great report: We are luckey to be leaving for Tahiti on January 12, then back to back 10 and 14 days on the PG, then a week back in tahiti. I will post all the fun and try not to rub it in too much

Mike

Archived