online cruise agency question

vincent

Have booked land based and very recently our 12/13 Ryndam cruise online. No problems, great service. Documents delivered by courier. Only way to go in my opinion.

However you allow for a very large brushstroke. All .coms are not created equal. For example, my daughter and her husband booked what they thought was a great last minute set of flights Vancouver to Grand Cayman. S/L was to be best man at a rather hastily called wedding. Got to the Airport E-tickets in hand, airline had no record of them. They had to turn around and come home. Checking their Visa online, they had been charged and then the charge had been backed off. However subsequent charges for the connecting flight Miami to GC were charged to their account. Finally had to register a fraud charge with Visa before the mess was cleared up. They will never use that company again obviously.

Caveat Emptor

"There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted."

Gina - That's taken directly from CC's guidelines (you can click on the word "guidelines" above, too). When we sign-up for a CC screen name, we agree that we've read those guidelines. :)

Then again, those same guidelines state that there won't be any advertising. But there is. I think the only ones allowed to advertise are the ones who pay for CC to exist. But I could be mistaken. It's been known to happen. :D

I think the current policies are a result of evolution. As more and more people participate, the more problems that arise.

Many years ago when I first signed on to CC, people did openly discuss and recommend various TAs, agencies, and tour operators. Before long, there were all kinds of people promoting themselves, their services, and their companies. At one time there were actually a lot of spam posts.....people hopping from board to board posting the same hype. I reported many of them myself. So, the mods had to draw a line somewhere.

It's too bad sometimes that we can't give or receive information and recommendations about various agencies, but I have seen how it can get out of hand.

If we are allowed to discuss the pros and cons of the various cruise lines, why can't we mention the agencies??? Maybe someone should start a website called Agency Critic.Com:rolleyes:
Primarily because many agencies help sponsor CC. Click on Cruise Agencies or Cruise Deals below the Talk Ship! picture.

Archived