Cinema and topless sunbathing on Pearl?

JWestShuh

Do any recent passengers know if there is a cinema on the Pearl? I have heard no on this site, but when I go to the NCL website and look at the deck plans it is there. It shows that it is on deck 12 near the video arcade. I have also heard that the freestyle sundeck is in fact a topless sunbathing deck. I have also been told adamantly that it is not (on a different cruise board). Any info would be appreciated. I am trying to get the true answer to these questions. Thanks!

No movie theatre, although they project football games on the wall in the atrium, along with the Nintendo Wii at various times. Yes there is a topless optional deck called the freestyle deck. Didn't go up there but the sign at the stairs says so.

Yes, the Jewel-class ships (Jewel, Pearl, Gem) all have clothing-optional "Freestyle" sundecks. Oddly enough, they weren't heavily used on our Eastern Mediterranean cruise on the Jewel last spring, which made for a nice respite from the crowds.

Apparently you used this sundeck, so my question is can you use it and keep your clothes on or do you have to go au naturel?

Also are cameras allowed on this deck?

I know at the Doubletree Hotel on Biscayne Bay, there are always several people sunning without clothes by the pool.

Apparently you used this sundeck, so my question is can you use it and keep your clothes on or do you have to go au naturel?

Also are cameras allowed on this deck?

I know at the Doubletree Hotel on Biscayne Bay, there are always several people sunning without clothes by the pool.

Yes, quite a few people kept their swim suits on. As for cameras, there wasn't an explicit prohibition but I don't think some people would take kindly to having their pictures taken in the buff :D

My apologies, It appears there was an area of the ship that I missed. Looking at the plans though I see it lists a theatre and the Metro center there as well, which is I believe the Teenagers group area. I don't know if it is accesible other than that, Maybe someone else knows.......

LOL .... that reminds me of a funny thing ...

Some years back we went to Las Vegas and stayed at Mandalay Bay hotel. I request a room with view of the massive pool complex. Each day we gazed at the beautiful area with several pools, however, we didn't help but notice that one pool in the far corner had quite a sizable crowd a lot of time.

Didn't think anymore about it plus we didn't bother going to that pool. We spent most of our time in the Lazy River.

Later, back at home, a few weeks later, I was researching something about the hotel for a friend who was planning on going there, I happened to see the reason why THAT pool was always crowded .... it was the European-style pool area!! And I remembered seeing more topless persons wearing swim trunks than ....

:eek: :D

The Star and Dawn are the only NCL ships with cinemas that adults can see movies.

Even so, they aren't real movies on celluloid, they're videos being displayed by an overhead projector.

The pixelation of the video is noticeable, and really not worth watching.

I believe the Jewel, Jade, Pearl, and Gem have a small cinema in the kids area for kids.

I assume they also are using videos.

Clothing optional use probably depends on the folks using the deck that day. On our Caribbean cruise, there were a couple of German ladies who used the "freestyle" deck as their personal "au natural" sunning zone. This kind of set the tone for the rest of us. So, I would imagine that it is up to those present to define the usage.

I found the deck the best place to get out of the wind and avoid the noise around the pool area. Since it was being used as a "c/o" area, I followed suit (or lack of).

I think this is a big plus for the Norwegian Jewel. I would hope that more cruise ships offer a similar space for adults to be comfortable in.

Yes, the Jewel-class ships (Jewel, Pearl, Gem) all have clothing-optional "Freestyle" sundecks. Oddly enough, they weren't heavily used on our Eastern Mediterranean cruise on the Jewel last spring, which made for a nice respite from the crowds.

Thanks.. this is good to know as I really don't want to be on a ship that has naked sunbathing. Not a prude.... just don't need to see or want this.

I'm really surprised NCL offers this but I will call them and ask.

Winnie <---------> teeny tiny bit prudish

Thanks.. this is good to know as I really don't want to be on a ship that has naked sunbathing. Not a prude.... just don't need to see or want this.

I'm really surprised NCL offers this but I will call them and ask.

Winnie <---------> teeny tiny bit prudish

I'm not sure I understand why you don't want to be on a ship that even allows topless sunbathing. It's one tiny deck up at the very top of the ship. You do not have to go up there if topless sunbathing is something you want to avoid seeing. You do not have to see it. Why would you deny the pleasure to others who do enjoy it? There's a fair portion of the world where topless sunbathing is the normal custom.

You can call NCL and ask, but you often will not get correct answers from the CS reps. The fact is that the tiny deck 14 Freestyle Sundeck (on the Jewel, Gem, Pearl, and PoH, which will be the Jade) allows topless sunbathing. It is not required though. It also isn't up to those pax cruising to "set the tone" for it and decide if it will be topless that cruise. Any adult who chooses to use the sundeck may do so. Those who don't want to use it, don't have to.

beachchick

The Star and Dawn are the only NCL ships with cinemas that adults can see movies.

Even so, they aren't real movies on celluloid, they're videos being displayed by an overhead projector.

The pixelation of the video is noticeable, and really not worth watching.

Thanks for the detailed information electricron. Now that I have this info I don't think I'll miss the lack of a cinema on the Pearl.

Do any recent passengers know if there is a cinema on the Pearl? I have heard no on this site, but when I go to the NCL website and look at the deck plans it is there. It shows that it is on deck 12 near the video arcade. I have also heard that the freestyle sundeck is in fact a topless sunbathing deck. I have also been told adamantly that it is not (on a different cruise board). Any info would be appreciated. I am trying to get the true answer to these questions. Thanks!

Just off the Pearl,

There is no cinema on board. As for the Freestyle deck here is the picture I took of the sign leading up to the deck. On the top of the Freestyle deck, there are frosted side walls so you are unable to see in. There are about 15 lounge chairs up there. Never went up there during the cruise.

Doug

568387732_Picture023-1.jpg.ec80eedbe66b5a2f4ab93f8a4c107680.jpg

Just off the Pearl, and during the first sail-away from Miami, it was loaded with (clothed) families watching the city go by, so you could go up there to check it out no problem. The signs are clear about it's purpose.

Oh, and BTW, the only cameras allowed up on the Freestyle deck are the ones attached to the crows nest that NCL has looking straight down on the topless and bottomless souls who thought it was private.:eek: LMAO.

To each their own, but beware.

Just off the Pearl, and during the first sail-away from Miami, it was loaded with (clothed) families watching the city go by, so you could go up there to check it out no problem. The signs are clear about it's purpose.

Oh, and BTW, the only cameras allowed up on the Freestyle deck are the ones attached to the crows nest that NCL has looking straight down on the topless and bottomless souls who thought it was private.:eek: LMAO.

To each their own, but beware.

This will only cause apprehension on the part of some (but not all) North Americans who think sunning topless is somehow 'naughty' and/or 'sinful'.

Believe me, most Europeans could care less. Those CCTV cameras are everywhere in Europe -- makes the police people's jobs a lot easier. I have found the use of the 'topless' area usually depends on how many Germans and/or Scandinavians are on-board. Most of the Brits and North Americans are not comfortable going there -- because we have not been accustomed to topless beaches all our lives.

Different strokes for different folks. Live and let live.

This will only cause apprehension on the part of some (but not all) North Americans who think sunning topless is somehow 'naughty' and/or 'sinful'.

Believe me, most Europeans could care less. Those CCTV cameras are everywhere in Europe -- makes the police people's jobs a lot easier. I have found the use of the 'topless' area usually depends on how many Germans and/or Scandinavians are on-board. Most of the Brits and North Americans are not comfortable going there -- because we have not been accustomed to topless beaches all our lives.

Different strokes for different folks. Live and let live.

Just making sure that those suspecting that they might try it, know that the cameras exist for their information. I suspect that some people might find it as offensive as a camera in a restroom, as the Germans we spent the past ten days with DID. :)

Archived