tulum

rsldonk

First time on a cruise and I was wondering if what advice anyone has about going to Tulum? I am a big history buff and the Mayans fascinate me, but I am concerned about the time it takes to get there and back. According to the schedule we get in at 8 am and leave at 6 pm. Is this enough time? If it's not, are the ruins on the island itself worth seeing?

We were in Tulum 4 years ago and thought the ruins were amazing! The location is very picturesque and we thought the trip was time and money well spent. We had a great guide who gave us the history of each building as we walked around. I think you'll really enjoy Tulum if you enjoy history.

Because of the distance from the port though, I would not go to Tulum any other way than an excursion booked through the ship. When we went, we booked an all-day excursion that combined Tulum with Xel-Ha. We had plenty of time in Tulum, but only about 2 hours in Xel-Ha, which really was not enough and we felt rushed.

Hope this helps.

If you want you can take the ferry over (about an hour) and then rent a car/jeep and drive down to Tulum yourself (about an hour). Tulum has many guides right there that you can hire and they will take you/your group around and spend as much time on each thing that you want, afterwards you can hang out at the beach there before heading out, doing a little shopping and driving back to the pier.

You should have plenty of time to do everything without feeling rushed if all you plan to do is Tulum, and the one on one tours are a lot more informative than the group tours (well, aren't they always?)

Archived