The NCL Dream has struck a barge

FBFLORIDA

From what I understand this captain ran the ship waiting beside it aground last year. The Dream has a very visable hole in the hull. They hit head on. How about a little sympathy for the passengers on Infinity who are stuck there and the Marco Polo who is stuck in the channel?
who said they didn't have sympathy for everyone involved. I am sure we all do, but because this is the NCL board, most are concerned about the Dream passengers and damage to the ship first. Again, I know I feel for anyone who is cruising or on any vacation and has to deal with emergancies. i don't think I would say tragedy but certainly this is the unexpected. As for the captain, are we sure it is even the same captain. Isn't it a little early to be speculating?

Chris999, thanks for the update. Keep us posted on what you hear. Let's hope everyone is ok and the Dream will be safe and sailing on the rest of her scheduled trips this year.

Nita

who said they didn't have sympathy for everyone involved. I am sure we all do, but because this is the NCL board, most are concerned about the Dream passengers and damage to the ship first. Again, I know I feel for anyone who is cruising or on any vacation and has to deal with emergancies. i don't think I would say tragedy but certainly this is the unexpected. As for the captain, are we sure it is even the same captain. Isn't it a little early to be speculating?

Chris999, thanks for the update. Keep us posted on what you hear. Let's hope everyone is ok and the Dream will be safe and sailing on the rest of her scheduled trips this year.

Nita

Dream is still at anchor outside and waiting channel to open so they can go back to port.

Marco Polo is stuck outside abt 7Km outside of Montevideo and most likely cant go inside today either and we will continue our journey to Buenos Aires by tonight and arrival to there is scheduled at 8am 13th Dec

EDIT: just came to announcement that Marco Polo will cancel the Montevideo and now we have shifted our position to wait our turn to go inside channel to Buenos Aires.

Dream is still at anchor outside and waiting channel to open so they can go back to port.

Marco Polo is stuck outside abt 7Km outside of Montevideo and most likely cant go inside today either and we will continue our journey to Buenos Aires by tonight and arrival to there is scheduled at 8am 13th Dec

EDIT: just came to announcement that Marco Polo will cancel the Montevideo and now we have shifted our position to wait our turn to go inside channel to Buenos Aires.

Keep safe.

Insidevoicemp Are you aboard the Marco Polo?

Yes i am.

just update, port of montevideo is still closed and no word when it will be open as per now.

For Littlecruise,,, well,, cant say anything yet, but sure Dream have to go either dry or wet dock and that would be mostlikely in Buenos Aires,,,and awaylability for that,,, if there is space,, best what you can do is contact NCL sales prepesentative and check with them what is her destiny

For Littlecruise,,, well,, cant say anything yet, but sure Dream have to go either dry or wet dock and that would be mostlikely in Buenos Aires,,,and awaylability for that,,, if there is space,, best what you can do is contact NCL sales prepesentative and check with them what is her destiny

They may be able to do a temporary fix in Montevideo. I know when RCCL's Granduer of the Seas hit the pier in Costa Maya and tore a gash in her side, they did a fix right there at the pier in Costa Maya.

Yes i am.

just update, port of montevideo is still closed and no word when it will be open as per now.

UPDATE:

Marco Polo is now on the way to Buenos Aires and estimate arrival time 7am local time.

No news from Dream yet, she is still on anchor and waiting future instructions, as are Infinity a long side.

She says they are making their way back into port with a pilot on board and a tug boat following. The captain says he thinks they can be underway tomorrow between 4 and 6 pm.

Will post again tomorrow when I hear back from her and let you know if they were able to continue the cruise aboard the NCL Dream.

This is from msnbc.com.

"Norwegian Cruise Line spokeswoman Susan Robison said in a statement from Miami.

"The overall safety of the vessel has not been compromised," Robison said.

She said the Norwegian Dream was anchored off Montevideo, Uruguay's capital, and is expected to return to the dock overnight where it will remain while repairs are conducted prior to resuming its voyage.

The statement said the ship would miss two ports of call before repairs are complete, and passengers were being offered alternate shore excursions before it resumes sailing to Ushuaia, Argentina's southernmost city."

We were on the Dream early October. After we left France, going to Spain, the captain got on the loud speaker around midnight and said he was testing the PA system. My wife and I were waken from a dead sleep.

We said *****.:mad: :confused:

When I first heard him come on the loudspeaker we thought it was some kind of emergency. I was about to grab my Life jacket.:eek:

Found this short article online:

"December 11, 2007 08:46am

A LUXURY cruise ship and a barge collided in Uruguay's main port today, sending several cars and containers off the barge and shutting the port down.

The Norwegian Dream cruise ship, owned by Miami-based NCL Corp, was leaving Montevideo when it collided with a barge being pulled by a tug, the navy said.

Navy divers were searching for the cars that fell of the barge.

"The collision caused five containers and several cars to fall in the water (and) the cruise ship received damages above the water line which do not appear serious," said Alejandro Anon, head of naval public relations.

According to Norwegian Cruise Line's website, the Norwegian Dream left Buenos Aires on Sunday and after Montevideo was planning to travel to southern Argentina and Chile."

LUXURY ................. not a discription I would give to the NCL Nightmare!

Hello and welcome to Littlecruise,

Noticed it was your first post and that nobody has offered you an official welcome. I guess this thread has too much excitment. :eek: So, Welcome to CC, you will find it to be a wealth of information. Please give back and share your experiences with others. Without the participation of so many active members it wouldn't be the same.

Again, Welcome!

Hello and welcome to Littlecruise,

Noticed it was your first post and that nobody has offered you an official welcome. I guess this thread has too much excitment. :eek: So, Welcome to CC, you will find it to be a wealth of information. Please give back and share your experiences with others. Without the participation of so many active members it wouldn't be the same.

Again, Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome. I've reading the post for the last few months, never before saw a need to reply. 2nd cruise for me.

Archived