The NCL Dream has struck a barge

FBFLORIDA

This is one of those situations where I feel sorry for those who chose this cruise for the destinations, rather than the "any day on a cruise is a good day" crowd. Looks like they are going to miss the Falkland Islands as well as Puerto Madryn, as well as missing the trip round the Horn, which was likely the whole point for at least some of the passengers.

An hour or so of open bar will likely be more than enough for some of those on board, but I suspect more than a few will want a bit more. As I said, my heart goes out to them, and to the Captain and others who have to shoulder the burden of this.

Was a harbor pilot on board?

obviously this delay and inconvience is not cause d by an act of god..the Dream struck another vessel..if it s proven that it was the fault of

NCL..then i would think that the $150 OBC is just part of the compensation package to passenger s..

anyone find what the cruise contract say s about compensation regarding

reckless sailing?

From what I understand this captain ran the ship waiting beside it aground last year. The Dream has a very visable hole in the hull. They hit head on. How about a little sympathy for the passengers on Infinity who are stuck there and the Marco Polo who is stuck in the channel?

How about a little sympathy for the Captain, and where did your " From what I understand ...... " originate?

anyone find what the cruise contract say s about compensation regarding reckless sailing?

I think it might be difficult to prove recklessness, but the contract does state:

"The Guest therefore assumes the risk of and releases the Carrier from any injury, loss, or damage whatsoever arising from, caused by, or in the judgment of the Carrier or Master rendered necessary or advisable by reason of: any act of God or public enemies;force majeure; arrest; restraints of governments or their departments or under color of law; piracy; war; revolution; extortion; terrorist actions or threats; hijacking; bombing; threatened or actual rebellion, insurrection, or civil strife; fire, explosion, collision, stranding or grounding;....."

This is an itinerary I have looked at and have coveted those who have gone on it. So, yes, not going around the horn would be the biggest deal for me if I were on the Dream. Don't know what kind of compensation would make up for it, but it would be a huge disappointment.

The main thing, of course, is that all be safe now that the accident has happened. And the muster drill is a pain but a necessary one for times like this as well (especially as well) as the ship that sank off Antartica.

From her email today:

"A large group of passengers signed a petition and presented it to the captain saying that the $150 per person was insufficient and they were unhappy with the new agenda/ports of call - he advised on the announcement he made last night, that he would forward this on to Miami - he was supposed to be available last night for photos but he was a 'no show'.

The supposed schedule is we leave between 4:00 and 6:00 this evening and then 3 days at sea - we would actually have 3 ports of call once we got on the other side of the horn (but I think I already mentioned that SAILING THE HORN is off the most recent agenda so I have no idea what that means unless it means we sail it at night where you can't see anything?)"

I will post again later when I hear from her.

This is an itinerary I have looked at and have coveted those who have gone on it. So, yes, not going around the horn would be the biggest deal for me if I were on the Dream. Don't know what kind of compensation would make up for it, but it would be a huge disappointment.

The main thing, of course, is that all be safe now that the accident has happened. And the muster drill is a pain but a necessary one for times like this as well (especially as well) as the ship that sank off Antartica.

I certainly agree with you!! It would have been the Highlight of the trip, and I would be heartsick to miss it. Once in a lifetime itinerary for me.

Also, ILoveScotland, DH and I love Scotland..Have been over twice on our way to Ireland, and would dearly love to go again. Such magnificant scenery and history!

Helen

I think that those on board should get more than that. My boyfriend are on the cruise after this one and the reason for the cruise is to see the ports, glaciers fjords and the horn. Weather canceling a port is one thing, but something like this happening I would be very upset about.

Any news on what caused the collision? Who was at fault?

She says:

"Well, we just got an announcement about when we will leave Montevido - we will be leaving at 4:00 p.m. tomorrow (Thursday) - the damage is more extensive than first anticipated. We will probably get one more stop, if we are lucky.

We will write more either later today or some time tomorrow - I am rapdily running out of computer minutes since we are not on any tours and just sitting in Uraguay - looks like the trip of a lifetime is going to need a 2nd chance - some day - if we are ever going to see penguins, sail the horn, see the megallan straights, etc....is starting to look less and less hopeful."

Sister & Dad were in the Observation Lounge as the ship was sailing out of port the day of the accident - the way she described it to me, the tow line snapped between the tug boat and barge. The barge ran into the ship. From her description of the event, I had the impression NCL was not at fault.

I feel so bad for them - this was one of those trips of a lifetime. They spent a lot of time planning excursions, doing research about ports, etc. Of course it could have been much worse - we are all glad no one was hurt. If she writes about anything else I think might be of interest, I will post it later.

"(but I think I already mentioned that SAILING THE HORN is off the most recent agenda so I have no idea what that means unless it means we sail it at night where you can't see anything?)"

It means there is a shortcut they can take to get to the Pacific without going round the tip of South America. It IS scenic, but t'ain't the horn.

It really doesn't matter who is at fault, barge or cruise line. Accidents, breakdowns, virus epidemics, and many other things can happen when traveling.

Thankfully, events like this don't happen on a weekly basis to every cruise ship. But events like this happen all the time, to one cruise ship or another. A visit to the following web site should make it clear that events of one type or another are more common than what many might think.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

This cruise qualifies as a bad cruise, unlike so many we read about where the food was terrible. I suggest making the best of it as best you can. You can still have a great cruise, maybe not as great as you had hoped for, if you're willing to change your plans as events unfold. It is an Adventure you and your friends will be talking about for a long time.

This is one reason why I don't plan my cruises or vacations much at all, I just go with the flow as time marches on.

My parents are on the ship and I just heard the same thing -- repairs are more extensive than thought so they hope to leave tomorrow afternoon.

While I don't know any details about this cruise other than looking at the NCL itinerary and a google map, it looks like there is a relatively easy fix (although obviously disappointing because it means skipping the Falkland Islands and Cape Horn). As noted by another poster, there is a way to cut through southern SA without going around the Cape. In fact, this cruise was scheduled to go around the Cape and then somewhat double back to Punta Arenas through the Straits of Magellan. So now they will presumably sail straight to Punta Arenas (where they are scheduled to be Monday and should have no problem getting there if they leave Thursday, perhaps even Friday). Then I suppose they'll go through the Straits of Magellan to the Pacific.

I would bet they will get the 150. plus 25% to half of what they paid for this cruise on a future NCL sailing.

I have seen less serious incidents with better comp then 150. OBC.

That being said NCL is really not obligated to pay anything.

I feel sorry for the Crew having to deal with "protesting" pax and repairs to the ship at the same time.

Not a good day to be a passenger or crew member on the Dream.

I would bet they will get the 150. plus 25% to half of what they paid for this cruise on a future NCL sailing.

I have seen less serious incidents with better comp then 150. OBC.

That being said NCL is really not obligated to pay anything.

I feel sorry for the Crew having to deal with "protesting" pax and repairs to the ship at the same time.

Not a good day to be a passenger or crew member on the Dream.

THANK YOU MARKANDREWS

As a crew member in the cruise ship's last almost 30yrs,,, i can assure to you all that we have to face all kind of quest's onboard(not in here)but in my time in different vessels,, even those incident’s where NOT crew's fault or even the ship's, Insults, personal insults, verbal assaults, even in the one ship, few quest getting violent and assaulting reception staff, i mean come on, you don’t kill the buss driver if he is causes accident, or do you??

Just let the "BIG" people deal with those issues and don’t insult us crew member's every small thing, we doing our best to make every single quest's vacation "The best vacation ever"

What happens in the Dream is one of those accidents, where the ship was wrong place at the wrong time.

That is why every company have insurances, like i said let the "BIG" boys dealing this and you dear quest filling out your report to them and your losses, CREW has not done anything wrong.

Thank you for taking your time to read this and i hope that you get my point and let us make your vacation as memorable as possible even in the bad times.

Archived