Galveston's fog got me thinking

MommaOML

I've never put much thought into there being a delay with our ship returning to port, and therefore not being able to make our flights home. What happens in this case? Are you SOL and have to fork over the cash for a second plane ticket? Will the airline put you on the next available flight?

Also, presumably someone has compiled the data that will tell you how often a ship is delayed at port due to weather. Anyone know where to find that data?

I know when I was planning a trip to an AI, I found stats that Cancun was hit by a hurricane every 3.2 years (or something like that) and that they'd last had a hurricane in whatever year. So, I took my chances that Cancun wouldn't have a big hurricane when I went there (on my honeymoon, in September, during hurricane season).

This is why some people recommend not booking a flight earlier than noon. Yes, when it comes to the meeting your flight post-cruise, you are on your own. This is also why it pays to purchase travel insurance. And please, do not purchase the ship's insurance.

If you book air through the cruise line, they will handle the new flight arrangements. If you book your own it will depend on the airline's rules and the fare code you booked under. Usually the charge will be $100 or less and you will be flying standby.

This is why you buy travel insurance.

I was on the Sensation when we were fogged out of Tampa for 8 hours. The insurance covered the cost to re-book flights, hotel room, meals, and rental car.

I was on the Conquest last year when we were 4 hours late and my insurance covered the cost to rebook flights, hotel room meals, rental car and lost luggage.

This is also the reason to carry a cell phone so you can make arrangements when you get back close to port and have a better idea of the timelines.

Never travel without insurance or a cell phone. Keep the airline phone numbers handy and keep all receipts.

I agree with Irishgirl regarding having the airlines phone numbers.

As a side note, you should also carry their non-800 numbers. My wife and I were doing a land vaction in Jamica one time and got stuck during a hurricane. Most 800 #'s don't work outside of the continental U.S.

hey Irishgirl we were on the Conquset with you, that was bad 3000 people milling around wanting to get off.

we just made it to the airport, had a bite at taco bell and walked on to the plane. had we been delayed any longer we would have missed the flight.

I also print boarding passes on the ship to speed up the airport experance.

I only missed my flight by about an hour. Those with 4:00 flights made it, mine was 3:15. The bad thing was, I had to start a new job the next day and I didn't show up until 2:00 in the afternoon. I was in contact with them and everything worked out, I'm still working there.

We were on the inbound and anchored in the channel for several hours. The cruise director made several announcements and assured those who had booked their airfare through Carnival that the change in flight reservations was being handled by Carnival. The others were on their own.

Archived