morocco april 2008

roscoe39

hi., we are flying down to Marakesh after the world cruise on the QV next year. Had anyone had an experience with Riads in morrocco and have any recommendations for soemthing close to the medina in Marakesh...??? thanks...

Last New Year we visited Morocco (a group of 6), staying 5 days in Marrakech followed by 5 days touring in the Atlas Mountains.

In Marrakech, we stayed at Riad Les Jardins de la Medina, about 10 minutes walk away from Djem el-Fnaa square, and would recommend it. Accessed through a small door in an unprepossessing street, it opens out into a large garden with a pool, and all the rooms look inwards to the courtyard. There is a roof terrace from which you can see across the city, spa, restaurant and so on. Take a look at http://www.lesjardinsdelamedina.com

Hope this helps,

Richard

Last New Year we visited Morocco (a group of 6), staying 5 days in Marrakech followed by 5 days touring in the Atlas Mountains.

In Marrakech, we stayed at Riad Les Jardins de la Medina, about 10 minutes walk away from Djem el-Fnaa square, and would recommend it. Accessed through a small door in an unprepossessing street, it opens out into a large garden with a pool, and all the rooms look inwards to the courtyard. There is a roof terrace from which you can see across the city, spa, restaurant and so on. Take a look at www.lesjardinsdelamedina.com

Hope this helps,

Richard

thanks cynthia and richard., i thought picking a riad would be easy but there is so many to choose from and really good prices, its hard to know where to start. Ill look at Les jardins., near the medina and with a lot of character is what we are looking for.......thanks...:D

We spend New Year's this year in Marrakech, and it is one of my favourite trips ever!

I wont put the link to the riad I stayed at here, because it is a french speaking, rather than english speaking one.

All the traditional riads are in the medina (which is the old part of the town) and they are amazing, you go down these little allyways, through a very non-descript door and into an amazing courtyard and house!

Make sure you get maroccan pancakes for breakfast, they are delish!

Trip adviser has recommendations for accommodation.

We spend New Year's this year in Marrakech, and it is one of my favourite trips ever!

I wont put the link to the riad I stayed at here, because it is a french speaking, rather than english speaking one.

All the traditional riads are in the medina (which is the old part of the town) and they are amazing, you go down these little allyways, through a very non-descript door and into an amazing courtyard and house!

Make sure you get maroccan pancakes for breakfast, they are delish!

Trip adviser has recommendations for accommodation.

thanks...we both speak french so if you want to make a suggestion that would be great... Ive found alot of choice around the medina, and thats the problem!...too much choice but yes TripAdvisor has been useful although I have learnt to take the reviews with a grain of salt...

Did you trip up to the Atlas Mountains....any recommendations on how to get there for the day...? guides tours etc...thanks...really looking forward to it..hope you enjoy new year there.

roscoe

Hi Roscoe --

We rented a car and drove from Agadir to Casablanca through the High Atlas. Both of us have some memory of years of high school French, and we had no problem being on our own. It was an amazing drive through the mountains...one of our most favorite trips. Several "locals" commented that they seldom saw Americans out there on their own, but I wouldn't trade a moment of it. Just give yourself plenty of time. It's amazing. Car rentals are abundant, and people are friendly. Purchasing a good map is advisable.

Archived