Use Iphone for WIFI on Cruise Ship

rweddle

You DO NOT want to use your iPhone for that. The connect times are terribly slow and the cost per minute is horrible. I have an acquaintance who ran up a $2000 bill for his iPhone on a cruise, and never realized why that happened. Use it only as a telephone and nothing else. Even retreiving your email on the phone is awfully expensive. You need to turn off the wifi features and the Data Roaming feature, because if you don't, and you keep your phone turned on, it will automatically scan every few minutes, and for each one of those minutes you're charged a per minute rate, access fees and roaming fees. It can add up to more than $6 a minute, and you don't realize it.

• 4 months later...

I just returned from he Crown Princess. I was able to use my Iphone with no problems. I took out the Sim Card and only used the Iphone to access the wirless internet service on the ship. I was able to check email, stocks, weather or anything else on the internet. I bought a package of 100 minutes for $55 which lasted me for the week.

Archived