Porter Tipping at the Pier

pcm1961

I'm delighted to tip any service provider who has offered graciously and genuinely of him/herself.

Last time I arrived at Ft. Lauderdale pier, there was a smiling porter right there who came right up to our car, grabbed our three large bags from the trunk, looked at our name tags, addressed us by name, and wished us a good trip. We didn't lift a finger, and he got $10.

If I arrive at the pier and have to lift the bags out of the trunk myself and go searching for a frowning porter who acts like he's doing me a HUGE favor to just throw the bags on his cart...........well, let's just agree he's not going to get anything close to what the aforementioned gentleman received! (Not from my wallet anyway!)

I've always tipped $5 when I disembark, but for some reason, never tipped upon arrival....until I read some CC posts, so last month at FLL I gave the guy two bucks as he was unloading bags off the bus we'd arrived on and he looked at me and said, "Two dollars for 4 bags?" Since the sign said in large letters that tipping wasn't even needed, I thought that anything at all would be appreciated.

When the bags arrived in the cabin, one luggage tag that was practically soldered on was missing. The only way it could have come off was to have been cut off.

Next time I'll tip lots more, as the tag in question had cost me $5.

And this is why the extortion continues to work.

Ok so we're cheap I guess. We tip really well ON the ship. Never less than $5.00 but I guess it has never occurred to me to use the porters (North Dakota farm girl that I am). So do we tip the shuttle driver when he takes our bags as well(usually haul them up ourselves)? we usually take our bags out of taxis ourselves and tip the taxi driver. Do we HAVE to use the porter?? We are not handicapped. :o Am I missing something here? We would like to take our own bags on the ship ourselves - any problem with that? We pack lightly. Sorry to be so naive. We would rather save the money but if we use the porters, of course we would want to compensate them properly. Thanks

We would like to take our own bags on the ship ourselves - any problem with that?

Your bags can be no larger than will fit through an airport security device, as that is what they will be put through as you board the ship.

Also, if you have many of them it can become cumbersome lugging them aboard. If you board before cabins are ready there's also the question of what to do with them while waiting.

If you only have one carry-on size bag each then, yes, you could easily carry them aboard yourselves.

Yesterday, in N.Y., the porter took our 2 heavy suitcases and two carryon bags from the baggage area, through Customs, up the elevator, and loaded them into our car parked on the terminal roof. We gave him $20, and felt he earned every bit of it.

When I first started cruising it was out of NYC. I heard some negative stories about the stevedores there and was a little concerned.

I'll tell you, they have always been most accommodating, and never have given a hint that anything bad would happen to my luggage. I have never felt they had their hands out.

Just quick, efficient service.

Archived