Porter Tipping at the Pier

pcm1961

Can anyone please tell me what the proper amount to tip per bag at the cruise terminals are. We set sail on the Veendam on Sunday. I have heard horror stories where people did not tip enough or at all and then when they recieved their bags, they had been destroyed. I'm sure is wasn't HAL, but I would still like to recieve my bags in one piece and for the sake of the hard working porters - tip them enough.

Thanks

Can anyone please tell me what the proper amount to tip per bag at the cruise terminals are. We set sail on the Veendam on Sunday. I have heard horror stories where people did not tip enough or at all and then when they recieved their bags, they had been destroyed. I'm sure is wasn't HAL, but I would still like to recieve my bags in one piece and for the sake of the hard working porters - tip them enough.

Thanks

We usually tip $1 per bag. We have never had a problem with bags arriving with any damage.

For our New England/Canada 12 day cruise with 2 days pre-cruise in NYC, my friend and I both took $100 in $1 dollar bills for tips. It became a standing joke, that "wasn't it time to tip SOMEONE, ANYONE?" We tipped the porters $1 per bag at the hotel, at the pier, at the airport, room service, etc. Seemed like we were tipping someone all the time. We arrived home with no $1 bills left at all. That's $200 in nothing but tips. And that's not even counting the auto-tip on-board the ship that went on my credit card.

We always sail out of Tampa or Ft lauderdale and tip $2 per bag. Probably just give him a $10 if we have four bags) Although I will say that leaving Tampa the baggage man has always taken our luggage to the car and we then give him $20 (since we drive we usually have 5 or 6 bags).

That is exactly what we tip also. We drive also and it is worth the $20 to have the porter go to the car with us if he is willing.

we just back from a caribbean cruise on QM2 using NYC, we had our bags out of the limo, the porter just placed them a trolly and was ready to go, he did nothing, we did tip him at all, the bags were fine.

on the way back the porter came with us, collected our bags and took us out to a buswe had for a tour before going to the airport, he got us to the top of the line, he NEVER asked for a tip, he didnt even hint for a tip.

we gave him $10 for 4 bags and 3 carry ons.

rob

It is quite annoying to me that at the Ft Lauderdale cruise pier, there is a big sign posted saying: PORTERS ARE SALARIED EMPLOYEES. THERE IS NO NEED TO TIP. And yet the porters are very agressive in demanding tips. That is really the only place that I have felt threatened by the porters.

It is quite annoying to me that at the Ft Lauderdale cruise pier, there is a big sign posted saying: PORTERS ARE SALARIED EMPLOYEES. THERE IS NO NEED TO TIP. And yet the porters are very agressive in demanding tips. That is really the only place that I have felt threatened by the porters.

But the crazy part is that the sign, although quite large, is turned toward any passengers getting off the ship, and is pretty much invisible to those getting out of cars/taxis. If I hadn't read about the sign after my first trip I'd have tipped again the next departure out of FLL. Live and learn. I don't guess a tip ever hurts, but it is different when a person gets a salary as opposed to those working almost exclusively for tips, like in restaurants.

$ 2 per bag is the normally accepted amount set by most travel industries. That's what I do although I suppose if I gave $1 per bag the porter would take it.. I have given up to $20 when my bags were super heavy..............vis a vis

Apparently we overtip. For curbside @ the airport and the cruise pier, when they help get the bags out of the taxi (which they've always done) we give $5 per suitcase, carry-ons not included. We usually just hand them a $20 at least. Our feeling is, if these guys want to screw up the first bit of your vacation-they have all the power to do so. So why be tight & possibly risk not getting your luggage when you should.;) :cool: Especially when we give them our wine that we've brought for the cruise, we will give them an extra $10 or so. We've never had a problem so far, I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not, but as they say...If it's ain't broke, don't fix it.

(If nothing else, maybe we're just helping to pay for their future chiropractic bills...after lifting all of our heavy bags):)

But the crazy part is that the sign' date=' although quite large, is turned toward any passengers getting off the ship, and is pretty much invisible to those getting out of cars/taxis. If I hadn't read about the sign after my first trip I'd have tipped again the next departure out of FLL. Live and learn. I don't guess a tip ever hurts, but it is different when a person gets a salary as opposed to those working almost exclusively for tips, like in restaurants.[/quote']

And I thought I was the only one who noticed these. Only cruised once from FLL and had tipped before I noticed the sign. Might I have tipped anyway? Probably. Only once, at an airport, have I ever felt 'extorted'.

Cheers

Mark

Cheers

Mark

I think it depends on the pier. Remember they do not work for the cruise line but for the various port authorities and they are UNION members.

With that said let I took a cab to the port of Miami (Dodge island terminal). Tried taking my luggage from trunk of cab to cart for cruise line, distance of between 5 and 10 feet. Longshoreman jumped in front of me and too bags (3 total). I gave him$3.00 figuring $1.00 per bag which in itself was too much (5-10 ft). He looked at me and said We usually get $5.00 so I gave it to him.

On the ship during a discussion about lost and damaged luggage a member of the staff told me that I was smart to do that since many have received damaged luggage if at all. They know its the longshormen but their is nothing the cruise lines can do about it. Two letter to the Miami port authority went unanswered

At another experience taking a cab to the pier in Ft Lauderdale (port everglades). The longshoreman tool my luggage and had his hand out for a tip. no doubt he wanted a tip which I gave $5.00. Another longshoreman saw this and asked about it, apparently their is a sign posted that tipping is not necessary.

Just my experiences

I've always tipped $5 when I disembark, but for some reason, never tipped upon arrival....until I read some CC posts, so last month at FLL I gave the guy two bucks as he was unloading bags off the bus we'd arrived on and he looked at me and said, "Two dollars for 4 bags?" Since the sign said in large letters that tipping wasn't even needed, I thought that anything at all would be appreciated.

When the bags arrived in the cabin, one luggage tag that was practically soldered on was missing. The only way it could have come off was to have been cut off.

Next time I'll tip lots more, as the tag in question had cost me $5.

Archived