Tour Guide Recommendations

taegan

OK, BIG TIP........Don't take the money in your husbands swim trunk pocket!! We left most everything in Mark's locked bus. But we took all the cash and our driver's license in a ziploc in my husbands pocket.

If anybody finds a ziploc with $150.00 cash and 2 colorado drivers license, could you let me know!?!:(

Lake Powell

That is terrible! If you leave everything in Mark's van what are you suppose to do w/ the tip money for the guides? Give it to them in advance?:rolleyes: Does anyone do this?

I'm glad you didn't have your cruise cards or passports in that ziplock bag - that would have been horrible!

I was thinking that we would just put a couple of tens in a ziplock bag and then put them in his suit - which has pockets w/ zipper closures.

Thanks for the warning!

We were in Ocho Rios at the beginning of March, we went river rafting through Marva Shaw and we spent the time with one of her guides (Javea). The rafting was exciting and an incredible experience. And my bad back survived it all, no problem! We had an excellent time and will definitly be doing it again upon our return. They were professional and a lot of fun. Javea talked to us about fis family and about Ocho Rios' history. Marva even called him to ask him how we were doing! 10/10!:)

ONE LOVE!

MARK MORRIS… a great addition to Jamaica. We had Mark as our tour guide at the end of February 2008 on our Grand Princess visit to his island. How refreshing it was to be with a person who has a strong feeling for his island and a sincere interest in wanting to make you very fond of Jamaica also. He made the extra effort to introduce us to the Dunn’s Falls climbing guides and boy did they ever take care of guiding us up the falls – it was like we were royalty (thank you again, Walker). Our tubing adventure was again made special by Mark’s extra efforts with the river guides. Whether chewing on a fresh stick of sugar cane, driving through the neighborhoods of the less fortunate or the neighborhood of Mick Jagger’s (it’s rentable) estate, Mark gave a well informed narration explaining many of the cultural activities and habits of each neighborhood. It was truly a great way to see and get a good feeling of Jamaica – his country. Without reservation my wife and I would strongly recommend Mark’s tours for an unforgettable visit to his island. Thank you fellow posters for letting us know about Mark.

We just returned from our trip and we also used Mark Morris and he is awesome!! When we got to the pier we asked someone for him and they immediately called him and he arrived w/in 5 minutes.

Mark is a fabulous guide - he is very well spoken and loves to share his knowledge of his island. He loved answering the kids questions - and they felt very comfortable in asking him anything. The ride to the falls and tubing was so educational for all of us - seeing all walks of life gave our kids a greater appreication for what they have! At the falls, Mark made sure to get us a guide that he wanted and he took our group of 10 up alone even though it was a rather busy day at the falls. The kids all said they liked this better than any of our other excursions, including two private sailing tours on other islands during our trip!

After the falls Mark took us to the river tubing which was quite fun and refreshing. Several of the kids and my dh jumped off the cliff at the half-way point and loved it!

After the falls we drove up through Fern Gully, again w/ Mark narrating along the way. I must say that this part was not great for all in our group because of some motion sickness issues.. the road is VERY steep and winding. Our dd who had already been having motion sickness problems was not able to handle this part of the trip so we asked Mark to stop for some fresh air and then we headed back to the ship. Mark was extremely accomodating with every request and was a great host!

We highly recommend him and would use him again when we return to Ocho Rio.

We just got home yesterday from our cruise and had a wonderful time. While many of our fellow passengers were not impressed with Jamaica, we loved it. We used WINSTON"S TOURS in Mo'Bay and Winston himself is the only driver. Has a nice van with great a/c and is very knowledgeable. He is a Jamaican native, but lived in New York for 30 years so is very aware of what americans are comfortable with. We saw lots of beautiful spots that other members in our group missed out on. We toured Rose Hall great house, lots of shopping and 3 hours at the beach. We ate lunch at the Pork Pit and saw the houses at Ironshore and the White Witch golf course. I never once felt hassled and felt safe the entire day. I think that being with a local driver makes all the difference. He was on time picking us up and got us back to the ship just as promised. $150 for 6 people. (you pay your own admissions) You can find Winston by searching Winstons tours on google or any major search engine. He is a gem!

I'll report back in a couple of weeks but we plan to use Trevor Hudlin Tours next week in MoBay to tour Mayfield Falls. He has been recommended many times on the CC boards so hope it is a worthwhile experience. Like the previous poster - I do not want to miss out on seeing Jamaica while we are there........I will report back week of 4/28 to tell you all how it went.:)

Amy,

I've never been to Mahogony Beach - sorry I can't tell you anything about it or compare it to Reggae. :( I can tell you a little bit about Reggae Beach though - it is absolutely picture postcard beautiful! (You can go to www.webshots.com and do a search to view pictures.)

If you decide to go to Reggae Beach, this is what you can expect. You will drive down a wooded road until you get to a parking lot. From the parking lot, you'll walk through a wooded section that has the bathroom, shower and open bar/food area. Don't expect top of the line here - the bathrooms and shower are primitive (I didn't use the bathroom, but the shower area was just a hose connected to a water spout in the open.) There were several stray dogs walking around this area as well. This wooded area opens up to the sandy beach area - it's horseshoe shaped. It wasn't crowded (it's definitely a local beach with a few tourists here and there - NOT a crowded "just got off a ship with a few thousand others joining me" type of beach). I felt somewhat apprehensive at first - somewhat out of place, but felt much more relaxed once we found a spot to lay our towels. As I said, it is a beautiful beach with crystal blue water. We weren't there for long - an hour to an hour and a half. Would I recommend this beach? It depends on what you're looking for. If you want quiet and peaceful and aren't looking for many ammeneties, then yes, you'll be hard pressed to find a more secluded public area. However, if you want water sports with lots of others around, then go elsewhere.

If you have any other questions, then please let me know. I'd be more than happy to help. I would HIGHLY recommend Marva's tour. She goes above and beyond your expectations to make your trip worthwhile. She has excellent communication skills (she typically responds to e-mails the same day and tends to call those who book a tour with her just to make sure you don't have any questions). I'm sure if you e-mailed her she'd be happy to give you a comparison of the beaches and let you know if she can take you to Mahogony instead of Reggae if you book that tour with her. Let us know, please. :)

I have contacted Marva for a tour. Her response has left me less than impressed. The first response was quick. So I replied back asking how to confirm, what time to meet on pier, what if anything we should look for to find her, when do we pay. After a day and a half of no response I resent the email just in case it didn't go thru. Finally a day later I got a very basic 1 or 2 sentence response that really answered no questions at all. I wasn't even given a time to meet, just a "get off the ship and ask for me."

Uh ok. So I asked "how do I know what time to find you?" And I still haven't heard back.

Honestly it makes me want to look elsewhere but it seems this isn't the norm. Just not sure what to make of it. :confused:

I have contacted Marva for a tour. Her response has left me less than impressed. The first response was quick. So I replied back asking how to confirm' date=' what time to meet on pier, what if anything we should look for to find her, when do we pay. After a day and a half of no response I resent the email just in case it didn't go thru. Finally a day later I got a very basic 1 or 2 sentence response that really answered no questions at all. I wasn't even given a time to meet, just a "get off the ship and ask for me."

Uh ok. So I asked "how do I know what time to find you?" And I still haven't heard back.

Honestly it makes me want to look elsewhere but it seems this isn't the norm. Just not sure what to make of it. :confused:[/quote']

Hmm... I'm sorry she hasn't responded as well as you would have liked. I always found her communication to be great. I did have to send a clarification e-mail at one point - it made me feel better as a "super planner" (aka: obsessive/compulsive). I think some of it is the "Jamaicaan way" - it's a very relaxed atmosphere (think "no problem, mon).

We had a similar answer in regards to finding Marva upon debarking - just go to the end of the pier and ask for Marva. I was a little nervous because I thought my name should be flashing in lights (okay, I exaggerate... a little). However, it really was NOT a big deal - we literally walked to the end of the pier, went to the right and asked for Marva - we were taken directly to her. It was GREAT! As for the time... you'll probably meet her as soon as the ship allows you to debark.

Obviously, you need to book a tour with someone you feel comfortable with; however, I feel confident in recommending Marva (as do a LOT of others on these boards). I hope you get to experience her super friendly personality and great tours! (By the way, she often calls those who book tours with her - this is a GREAT time to ask questions in more detail.)

I have contacted Marva for a tour. Her response has left me less than impressed. The first response was quick. So I replied back asking how to confirm' date=' what time to meet on pier, what if anything we should look for to find her, when do we pay. After a day and a half of no response I resent the email just in case it didn't go thru. Finally a day later I got a very basic 1 or 2 sentence response that really answered no questions at all. I wasn't even given a time to meet, just a "get off the ship and ask for me."

Honestly it makes me want to look elsewhere but it seems this isn't the norm. Just not sure what to make of it. :confused:[/quote']

I have had just the opposite experience with Marva. She has been very responsive to my e-mails (they have been answered by the next day if not sooner). When I did have specific questions for her I actually listed them out by numbering them and she responded to every one and it seemed like she wanted to make our day in Jamaica special for us.

We were in Ocho Rios last week & had booked a tour with Wentworth Pearson (www.wentworthtours.com) and he was wonderful! This was our 3rd trip to Ocho Rios, so we wanted to do something different, having already been to Dunn's River Falls, Green Grotto Caves, and Prospect Plantation. It was difficult to find a tour that did not combine a stop to DRF with somewhere else. Wentworth was extremely accomodating about customizing a tour for us. We were traveling with 4 other couples & tried to encourage them to join us, but they weren't interested, but it was great, it was just the 2 of us with Wentworth. At the pier there are security guards & you have to tell them which tour operator you're booked with, they call them & a few minutes later you are all set. Kind of different in Ocho Rios, you have to go one direction if you are an independent traveler with no booked tour, thru a different area if you have a cruise ship tour, and then to the guard if you have your own tour guide so she can call him/her on the radio. Wentworth was prompt & met us right away - no problem that it was just the 2 of us. Very nice, clean a/c van and he was so pleasant. We first visited Coyaba River Gardens & Museum & he called one of their guides, Happy, to make sure he was available. Brought us there & waited for us. Happy took us all thru the gardens; he knew every plant & flower & told us their name & why it was named that, knew alot about the area, we walked thru the museum on our own, and then Happy took us over to Mahoe Falls. How beautiful. He took our picture beside the falls - then we went up to Ysassis Lookout Point & had a great view of Ocho Rios from up there. We really enjoyed our visit to Coyaba. Back in Wentworth's van & our next stop was Cranbrook Flower Forest - about 25 min. away, passed the drive talking about Jamaica, the people & schools, (I work at a school) different customs, etc. We loved Cranbrook - went on the River Nature Trail on our own, even though we could have had a guide. Wentworth waited for us. Loved following the trail beside the river and walked all the way to the river head, took lots of pictures on the way. Toward the end we could hear the screams & yells of those on the zip line above us - that was neat to watch them when they were in view. It was a very hot day, but at least most of the time we were walking in shade - took us 1 1/2 hrs to walk the trail & back. Wentworth met up with us when we were about 2/3rd's of the way back and walked back with us. Doesn't seem like too many people go to Cranbrook - for those who enjoy easy hikes & lots of nature, flowers, birds and just enjoying the natural outdoors, this is a great place. Drove back to Ocho Rios and Wentworth took us thru Fern Gully, what a winding road! Then back to the cruise ship. What a great day - we were with Wentworth about five hours. Had an hour before the cruise ship left, but we were hot & tired and ready to go back - just stopped in a couple shops before getting back on board. We would highly recommend Wentworth Tours. We had exchanged a few emails before we left & he had also called us after we sent the first email. If we return to Jamaica, he's who we will call!

We have a tour scheduled with Marva on May 9th and we cannot wait! Marva was very responsive to my emails and totally gave me the laid-back Jamaican feel - just as I expected! She did tell us as you all have said to go to the pier and ask for her!

I have a question - we have an expectant mother in our group - not quite 4 months - what are the hazards on the falls?

Thanks!

We have a tour scheduled with Marva on May 9th and we cannot wait! Marva was very responsive to my emails and totally gave me the laid-back Jamaican feel - just as I expected! She did tell us as you all have said to go to the pier and ask for her!

I have a question - we have an expectant mother in our group - not quite 4 months - what are the hazards on the falls?

Thanks!

Awesome! You're really going to love Marva! :) Please let us know how your tour goes... we love hearing about them.

As for the pregnant mom... I doubt anyone will tell her that she can't climb the falls, especially at 4 months (probably not too pregnant looking at that point). However, there are hazards on the falls - you need balance and it can be slick. There is a real risk of falling and/or injurying yourself; although, most people do just fine. She'll have to make that call and so what she is comfortable with. If she decides it's not a risk she wants to take, then she can always walk along the falls as you climb - there is a pathway.

Have a great trip!

We just got back last night from our Freedom cruise and went to Jamaica on Wednesday. YES, YES, YES book with Marva. We had the best time of any island tour we have ever been on. :D

Marva met us at the pier and her son "J" took us everywhere we wanted to go!! He is such a great guy!! He got us to the Falls before any of the tours got there and told us how to get out without having to go out thru the shopping area!!

Next he took us tubing on the White River. We had a great guide there named George...or as he called himself George of the Jungle!! After the river "J" took us shopping to a nice little shopping area.

We couldn't have been any happier with our tour. He was great with our kids and us! Our kids are still repeating some of the little Jamacian sayings "J" told them. We are already thinking about when the next time we can get to Jamaica is :rolleyes: .

CruiseJunkee2.....I would be a bit worried about slipping on the falls if I was pregnant. As someone else said, there is a walkway with decks for her to watch. The falls are great and you wouldn't want to miss them!!

Aldav.....You pay Marva or her son in the beginning, because they use that money to get you into the places you visit. They take care of everything mon!! Don't forget to tip them at the end!!

I'll report back in a couple of weeks but we plan to use Trevor Hudlin Tours next week in MoBay to tour Mayfield Falls. He has been recommended many times on the CC boards so hope it is a worthwhile experience. Like the previous poster - I do not want to miss out on seeing Jamaica while we are there........I will report back week of 4/28 to tell you all how it went.:)

I went w/ them due to high recommendations on this board.

Our driver was George. He was waiting at the terminal when we arrived. We waited while he ran to get the van (old but clean). He was kind, and drove very carefully. Although he didn't sing or entertain like others have said some do, he answered any questions we had and we felt very safe w/ him, especially on the road to Mayfield Falls (a bumpy narrow road), he drove very carefully and slowly over the potholes.

Had no problems w/ Hudlin tours.

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

FYI "J's" name is Javia; he's Marva's son. :) I haven't met him yet as he was in Grand Cayman when we took our tour, but he sounds like a great "kid." (He's a young adult, if I'm not mistaken.)

QtMichele- Yes, his name is Javia and is Marva's son. I think he said he is 24? Just a really great guy!!

Aldav- We were not bothered at all by any of the local's where we went shopping. Actually got some really good deals!! We had a handful of items and offered them a price which was at least half of what the prices were and thats what we paid :) ! I know you will enjoy your time with them! Wish I could join you.

Marva and Javia Shaw!!! Know Jamaica all the way! We just got back from doing a tour with Javia Shaw in Jamaica and I cannot rave about him enough. He was a perfect tour guide and an upstanding man. We would like to go back and will definitely use Know Jamaica (knowjamaica.com) again!

Marva and Javia Shaw!!! Know Jamaica all the way! We just got back from doing a tour with Javia Shaw in Jamaica and I cannot rave about him enough. He was a perfect tour guide and an upstanding man. We would like to go back and will definitely use Know Jamaica (knowjamaica.com) again!

Great to hear!! We'll be using them on May 8th and looking forward to it. I love how you don't have to have the entire day mapped out before hand. I may chicken out on river tubing!

Archived