Tour Guide Recommendations

taegan

I agree as to the shopping. Mark dropped us off in the shop area and gave us pointers and was close by in case we had any problems. The shops were fine and we didn't feel "pressured". We didn't go into the marketplace though because we knew it would be more pressure and we were in a more relaxed "Jamaican" mood. The nice thing about Mark is that he was very knowledgable, loved to share his knowledge and was very well spoken. He answered each and every question our group had and did so without making anyone feel like they were asking a dumb question.

Here is another vote for Marva Shaw! She made our time in Jamaica unforgetable! She bent over backwards to make sure we were happy, and she showed us parts of Jamaica that we would not have had a chance to see if it wern't for her!

She took us to the Falls, Mahogany Beach, shopping, got my daughters hair braided, she is a wealth of Jamaica information!

Highly recommend!

Her email is: knowjam@yahoo.com...

Please tell her Kim and Koie said "hey Man"!

I want to book Marva shaws for my excuration. I will have my mom (78) and sister along. WHich tour would you folks suggest that we would all enjoy??

Joan

enchantman of the seas feb. 9th

Without knowing more about your interests, may I suggest you view Marva's tours at www.KnowJamaica.com. You could also e-mail Marva for her suggestions - she is very helpful and knowledgeable. :)

My husband and I did the Dunn's River Falls, tubing and Reggae Beach tour. We loved it! I would say this could be done by most able bodied people (young, old and everywhere in between!). The falls are slightly challenging (maybe too much for your mother); however, there is a path along the falls that she may enjoy taking instead of hiking the falls. The tubing is very gentle and the beach trip is relaxing.

I hope you find something that works well for you and your family. We adored Marva! Have a wonderful cruise!!!

i looked on her web site and emailed her. SHe seems very helpful. My only concern that she charges $30.00 person and then an additional admission to the falls or $32.00 to the plantation. Is this worth it?

You may want to clarify with Marva about the price of the tour. Her tours listed on her website INCLUDE admission (they do NOT include tips). Marva's prices are competetive and well worth the cost. :)

I must agree with the above poster.. we just did a tour with Mark Morris and he is fantastic.. very knowledgeable and very friendly and accommodating you will not be disappointed. http://markstours.com/tours.html.. Tell him his Canada friends say EH!!:D:p

Hey there KuznKel from a fellow Ontarionian and Leaf fan also. We are cruising in March to Ocho Rios and are thinking of booking a private tour vs. the ones offered by the cruise line, however, we are a bit leary as to the guarantees that the ship offers and the private tours do not (ie. getting off the ship in time for your tour and more importantly, if your excursion is running late and is through the cruise - they will hold departure up for you but won't if you are on a private tour) How worry free were you with booking this and how do you get your money back if the ship doesn't make it to port? Looking forward to some feedback that will help make the decision easier!!

Heather

I must agree with the above poster.. we just did a tour with Mark Morris and he is fantastic.. very knowledgeable and very friendly and accommodating you will not be disappointed. http://markstours.com/tours.html.. Tell him his Canada friends say EH!!:D:p

Hey there KuznKel from a fellow Ontarionian and Leaf fan also. We are cruising in March to Ocho Rios and are thinking of booking a private tour vs. the ones offered by the cruise line, however, we are a bit leary as to the guarantees that the ship offers and the private tours do not (ie. getting off the ship in time for your tour and more importantly, if your excursion is running late and is through the cruise - they will hold departure up for you but won't if you are on a private tour) How worry free were you with booking this and how do you get your money back if the ship doesn't make it to port? Looking forward to some feedback that will help make the decision easier!!

Heather

I've tried to post over and over but it is removed about Mark Morris. (I guess it is considered no new information).

Just returned from Freedom of the Sea and I can't speak enough about him or his tour and the ability to deviate from the norm.

First stop, grocery story for liquor/beer (we had to buy but he provided cooler/ice).... from that point on, he is worth his weight in GOLD!!

We were treated like royalty and laughed the entire time.

If you are a group that likes to have FUN, MARK will be your next family member!!!

He began the tour with a hug to me for setting it all up and never let the group of 18 down!!!

GO FOR MARK FIRST!!! You won't be diasspointed!!!

AND don't hesitate to ask to do 'more' during his tour... and we were gone for 6 hours and he didn't charge a penny more!!!

His family is nice including father and dogs!! ;)

I've tried to post over and over but it is removed about Mark Morris. (I guess it is considered no new information).

Just returned from Freedom of the Sea and I can't speak enough about him or his tour and the ability to deviate from the norm.

First stop, grocery story for liquor/beer (we had to buy but he provided cooler/ice).... from that point on, he is worth his weight in GOLD!!

We were treated like royalty and laughed the entire time.

If you are a group that likes to have FUN, MARK will be your next family member!!!

He began the tour with a hug to me for setting it all up and never let the group of 18 down!!!

GO FOR MARK FIRST!!! You won't be diasspointed!!!

AND don't hesitate to ask to do 'more' during his tour... and we were gone for 6 hours and he didn't charge a penny more!!!

His family is nice including father and dogs!! ;)

Thanks for the review - glad to hear that Mark is still out there making people happy! We are booked with him in April, group of 10 and in his e-mail to me he said to meet "1 hour after ship docks" Was this how your tour was set up? Also, did you do lunch on the island and if so did you have to pay in cash or could you use a credit card. My DH is not too thrilled about walking around the island with all that cash. Thanks for the info!!

Thanks for the feedback...I think after what you said and everything that I have read, the decision has been made! I am going to contact Mark and get him booked in. He sounds like his personality is right up our alley...I just needed to get over my worrying of straying from the safety net of the cruise line excursions! Thanks again! :)

Subject: above & beyond!!

Message: I simply cannot say enough about Peat Taylor & his son, PJ!! See http://www.peattaylor.com. In 2005, I visited Jamaica & found these great reggae dolls. I took a photo of the artist holding a guitar-playing reggae doll. My son, a musician, wanted that doll. So when I heard that my friend, Marsha, was going to Jamaica, I asked her to bring me back one of these reggae dolls. Well...Marsha hired Peat & PJ in Ocho Rios for the day & they helped her find where the dolls were being sold when I was there two years ago, but alas...no dolls. Marsha returned without the doll, but kept in touch w/ Peat & PJ who went OUT OF THEIR WAY to follow up, finding the artist, & arranging for him to make & ship me the doll. Talk about going ABOVE & BEYOND!! I'm looking forward to the day I can return to Jamaica to thank Peat & PJ in person. They are wonderful people who helped a complete stranger with a gift for her son. If they will do that--just imagine how wonderful their customer service must be for those using their services in Jamaica! What great people!! By the way, Marsha said Peat & PJ's services were unbeatable - & she travels a lot & should know.

Another thumbs up for Mark Morris. We just got back from the Grand Princess.

We had a great time and Mark was a hoot. There was only the 4 of us and he made sure we had a great time. We went to Dunns Falls and then a tour of the town.

Mark had us laughing during most of the tour. He stopped wherever we asked him to and was very flexible in meeting our requests. We had no real agenda other than going to the falls but he made sure we had a great tour and you can tell he loves his country as he tells you the history.

We were out and about for roughly 5 hours and had an absolute blast. I would definitely do another tour with him.

Just back from a tour with Javier (Marva's son) and I have to second all the thumbs up for her tour operation. We were promptly met when leaving the ship, the area was quite well organized and after telling a person from the JTB that we were meeting Marva we were told where to wait.

Marva came first and met us, then took us to meet her son Javier. We rode in a very nice small tour bus, just the two of us (DH and me) and Javier. He was very friendly and an excellent tour guide. We had made our own itinerary to Cranbrook Flower Forest, which included a great 1.5 mi hike to a great waterfall fed by an underground spring. Javier took the guided tour with us and was great for snapping photos of us. Next he took us to a roadside stand where we ate roasted yams, saltfish, breadfruit, and dumplings for lunch. When I mentioned that I was thirsty he knew right where to stop to treat us to coconut water and to have some star apple fruit. After that we drove through Fern Gully and met a "Rasta mon" who showed us various plants and natural remedies he uses. There we ate some more, with Jamacian grapefruit and sugar cane - delicious!

After that we took the final stop on the tour at Wassi Art Pottery works. Then Javier dropped us off at Island Village for some shopping. I have to say that if you want to really learn some about the culture of Jamaica that going through Marva's company will get you that experience. This all began by me asking just to see Cranbrook flower forest and the pottery factory, but it was an even better adventure because Javier added some stops to really meet some Jamaicans and sample their culture. Try a tour with them, customized or something from their website. You'll have a great time!

Without knowing more about your interests, may I suggest you view Marva's tours at www.KnowJamaica.com. You could also e-mail Marva for her suggestions - she is very helpful and knowledgeable. :)

My husband and I did the Dunn's River Falls, tubing and Reggae Beach tour. We loved it! I would say this could be done by most able bodied people (young, old and everywhere in between!). The falls are slightly challenging (maybe too much for your mother); however, there is a path along the falls that she may enjoy taking instead of hiking the falls. The tubing is very gentle and the beach trip is relaxing.

I hope you find something that works well for you and your family. We adored Marva! Have a wonderful cruise!!!

This is the exact tour we are thinking about booking with Marva. However, we have never been to jamaica and Mahogany Beach was recommended to us - could you tell me a little about reggae beach?? Should we be asking if a stop at Mahagoney over Reggae Beach is possible??

Amy,

I've never been to Mahogony Beach - sorry I can't tell you anything about it or compare it to Reggae. :( I can tell you a little bit about Reggae Beach though - it is absolutely picture postcard beautiful! (You can go to http://www.webshots.com and do a search to view pictures.)

If you decide to go to Reggae Beach, this is what you can expect. You will drive down a wooded road until you get to a parking lot. From the parking lot, you'll walk through a wooded section that has the bathroom, shower and open bar/food area. Don't expect top of the line here - the bathrooms and shower are primitive (I didn't use the bathroom, but the shower area was just a hose connected to a water spout in the open.) There were several stray dogs walking around this area as well. This wooded area opens up to the sandy beach area - it's horseshoe shaped. It wasn't crowded (it's definitely a local beach with a few tourists here and there - NOT a crowded "just got off a ship with a few thousand others joining me" type of beach). I felt somewhat apprehensive at first - somewhat out of place, but felt much more relaxed once we found a spot to lay our towels. As I said, it is a beautiful beach with crystal blue water. We weren't there for long - an hour to an hour and a half. Would I recommend this beach? It depends on what you're looking for. If you want quiet and peaceful and aren't looking for many ammeneties, then yes, you'll be hard pressed to find a more secluded public area. However, if you want water sports with lots of others around, then go elsewhere.

If you have any other questions, then please let me know. I'd be more than happy to help. I would HIGHLY recommend Marva's tour. She goes above and beyond your expectations to make your trip worthwhile. She has excellent communication skills (she typically responds to e-mails the same day and tends to call those who book a tour with her just to make sure you don't have any questions). I'm sure if you e-mailed her she'd be happy to give you a comparison of the beaches and let you know if she can take you to Mahogony instead of Reggae if you book that tour with her. Let us know, please. :)

Ron317 - That is a great question that I don't have an answer to. Taxi's are NOT waiting for you at this beach. This may be one to book a tour through, if you're interested in doing another activity or two. Maybe someone else will have a better answer for you???

Archived