bye bye X....

hug

I never meant to criticize the OP's opinion, nor their right to have one and post it.

My comment, and of course, this is MY opinion, referred to the formal announcement of someone's decision to never cruise a particular line again. This isn't the first time I have seen someone do this and it's just very strange to me. I personally have had 2 horrible experiences on Princess but it would never occur to me to go to the Princess boards and announce that I won't be cruising with them again....can't imagine anyone caring one way or another which cruise line I choose.

I have been a member of Cruise Critic since before my second cruise and long before I had ever been on any cruise line but Carnival and NCL. It seems to me that there has been a gradual increase over the years in the number of posts complaining about cruises and less and less cruising information. To get real cruising information these days you need to go to one of the Specialty, Roll Call or Port of Call forums, otherwise it's all doom and gloom. I have a Galaxy (pre-dry docking) cruise coming up and frankly I am getting a little freaked out.

I know it's going to be a great cruise, but I'm not appreciating that little shadow of doubt that these constant Celebrity bashing posts are putting in my mind. Makes me want to take a break from CC for awhile. :( Of course, I am addicted to CC so that probably won't happen!! :D

Desertbelle,

well said. For those who criticize you - they can't have it both ways, you also are entitled to an opinion. Even if, (heaven forbid) it might differ from OP.

We had a horrible cruising experience - in fact, it was laughable. We were the only ones with our own teeth AND not in walkers. We saw the paramedics rushing by more than we did our cabin steward. I wouldn't dream of going on that board and bashing it. The folks who prefer that line enjoy the very things we don't. I still don't blame the line, or hate the ship . . . just found other lines that better suited our interests.

IMHO, I think the comments about one line or the other going "downhill" are hogwash. These are publicly traded companies, they need customer loyalty to remain solvent. If it was so horrible, how has the rest of the world not caught on? How are they still filling their ships and making a profit? If they don't keep up with customer expectations, we will go elsewhere. They know that.

When reading posters comments, I've gotten much more savvy. I look at when they joined, glance at their other posts and I throw out the glowing as well as the doom and gloom.

Two people on the same cruise CAN and do have different perceptions. Does that make either of them wrong? No, of course not.

I just joined Cruise Critic this year and thank goodness for the destination and roll-call boards. That is where the real information sharing is . . . The cruise line boards might be better named "complaint department".

To the moderators: thank you. I see you deleted a few inflammatory posts and hats off to you for stepping in when things get out of line. You don't have an easy job - and I thank you for a job well done!

Happy, happy new year all!

I never meant to criticize the OP's opinion, nor their right to have one and post it.

My comment, and of course, this is MY opinion, referred to the formal announcement of someone's decision to never cruise a particular line again. This isn't the first time I have seen someone do this and it's just very strange to me. I personally have had 2 horrible experiences on Princess but it would never occur to me to go to the Princess boards and announce that I won't be cruising with them again....can't imagine anyone caring one way or another which cruise line I choose.

I have been a member of Cruise Critic since before my second cruise and long before I had ever been on any cruise line but Carnival and NCL. It seems to me that there has been a gradual increase over the years in the number of posts complaining about cruises and less and less cruising information. To get real cruising information these days you need to go to one of the Specialty, Roll Call or Port of Call forums, otherwise it's all doom and gloom. I have a Galaxy (pre-dry docking) cruise coming up and frankly I am getting a little freaked out.

I know it's going to be a great cruise, but I'm not appreciating that little shadow of doubt that these constant Celebrity bashing posts are putting in my mind. Makes me want to take a break from CC for awhile. :( Of course, I am addicted to CC so that probably won't happen!! :D

Honestly, I don't see how you can accuse someone of being self-important and say you didn't mean to criticize their opinion.

And for the record, I didn't say anything negative about Desertbelle. I merely defended an opinion Desertbelle apparently found objectionable.

People of good will must be able to agree to disagree.:D

We've been fairly loyal Celebrity cruisers for quite awhile. Still are, sort of. I agree with much of what the OP said - on the Connie TA in September, I personally found the soups and salads not quite up to par (and the cold soups have always been my favorite). The goat cheese souffle wasn't quite as tasty as it has been on at least 15 previous occasions. The lobster bisque had hardly any lobster in it, unlike previous cruises. And I'm fairly certain it wasn't my taste buds, too. Service was excellent, however. We like X and RCI primarily because they seem to have a slightly younger demographic, although we are probably now of an age to be slap in the middle of the HAL demographic.:rolleyes: On one of our last HAL cruises, Mr Maasdam was 92!!:eek: But he was quite a rounder, and traveling alone. Made me smile every time I saw him. Yes, I really believe X is slipping a bit, and my cruise "rating" card remarks are getting longer and longer. I've also voiced my concern to Miami and in the occasional survey I receive from X. Despite our concerns, we still plan to take the Millie for 25 days next Fall. Great price and I know I won't starve.:D And I'll still eat in the specialty restaurant; I just won't order the goat cheese souffle or the lobster bisque.

I've gleaned loads of information, both positive and negative, from these boards. I was a newby once, too, but felt I had enough experience (20+ cruises at that time) to voice an opinion. Still do.

Ruth and Mike, I have to agree. Also, your comment about HAL demographics has be me rolling over laughing. Its terrible when it dawns on you that you are 25-30 years younger than the next youngest passenger.:eek:

That thankfully is changing, even on HAL.

Enjoy your cruise!

Having taken 5 cruises with celebrity in the past 6 years I can only say that each cruise is different.The only cruise we had a problem with was this year in April.We sent a letter to Celebrity and were compensated to the point that we took another Celebrity cruise in September.If we had unlimited funds to take a cruise whenever we wanted we would probably look at other cruise lines.However we don't and we have had a great experience on all our cruises with Celebrity.We have another one booked for next year.You can always find something better and smaller if you have the finances to back it up.Must be nice.Celebrity offers us the best experience for the income we have.Most of the people we know don't even think they can afford a cruise.And we are considered upper middle class.We will keep sailing with Celebrity.We love the crew,the ships and the food.:) Kathy

I agree. And why come back to the board of the line you're leaving to tell us? We're obviously here because we like it.

I for one appreciate the OP's opinion. Way too many people here and on the HAL Board take on the role of cheerleaders. You read these posts and the majority of people think that Celebrity "craps ice cream".

The OP was not whining, and I for one could find nothing in his reasoning that wasn't sound.

AND, if the people at the Corporate Offices really do monitor these boards, than the OP may indeed be doing us a favor.

Archived