just off LIBERTY 12/22-12/29

Jill0526

We are just off Liberty sailing 12/22-12/29.

The ship is beautiful. We had a balcony room which we found to be slightly larger than on Navigator last year. New bedding is very comfortable.

The ship was full (because it was a holiday week). The only time you could feel the crowds was at the pool on sea days. The chair hogs were out in full force. People can be very rude. Many lounge chairs with a towel thrown on them all day.

We found the food to be the same as in previous sailings. Our waiter was excellent. Very attentive. Others were not as fortunate. Seems that a group of the waiters were very unhappy with their jobs. I guess we were lucky.

We saw two great shows. Some shows were not so good. The Platters played one night. They included the last surviving Platter and three other singers. The last surviving Platter (can't remember his name) is no longer able to sing. He just kind of harmonizes (off key!!!) and talks and talks between songs. He introduced one song as a Janet Jackson song. It was actually Janice Joplin. Close. For some reason, he began rambling in Spanish between songs. Not sure why. Very odd. After three songs, people were making a mass exodus to the doors. Very embarassing.

I was traveling with three children 12, 13 and 13. I was VERY disappointed with the kids program for the 12-14 age group. Most activities were canceled for no apparent reason. The kids would show up for an activity, and the staff would just say, "No, we decided not to do that. Just go sit and talk." The rest of the time, they were put with the 15-17 age group. As a mother, I can tell you, the 12 year olds do NOT belong with the 17 year olds. Luckily, the three kids found plenty to do, and had no time to be bored. However, many teenagers were walking around the ship in groups, riding the elevators, and being a nuisance. I think this could have been avoided.

They made daily announcements about hand washing. And purell wipes were handed out at all eating establishments. Not a bad idea. Someone on the crew told us that they haven't had an outbreak of the norovirus in four weeks.

In general, this was a great cruise. I'd be happy to answer any and all questions.

Happy new year!:)

The chair hogs were out in full force. People can be very rude. Many lounge chairs with a towel thrown on them all day.

Well, that's when you take the towels off and hope they get charged the $20. fee when they can't find their towels:D

Someone on the crew told us that they haven't had an outbreak of the norovirus in four weeks.

Well' date=' several people had it the week before and were confined to their cabins including the folks in the Presidential suite.:rolleyes: [/color']

What a bummer about the Platters, we had the Nelson twins. We didn't think the other shows were that good.

Our cruise week was very quiet (15th-22th) but we have done holiday weeks in the past and never again, too many teens running loose and it does spoil one's vacation experience.

I am glad you had a terrific time --we did too:)

I was traveling with three children 12, 13 and 13. I was VERY disappointed with the kids program for the 12-14 age group. Most activities were canceled for no apparent reason. The kids would show up for an activity, and the staff would just say, "No, we decided not to do that. Just go sit and talk." The rest of the time, they were put with the 15-17 age group. As a mother, I can tell you, the 12 year olds do NOT belong with the 17 year olds. Luckily, the three kids found plenty to do, and had no time to be bored. However, many teenagers were walking around the ship in groups, riding the elevators, and being a nuisance. I think this could have been avoided.

OK, now I'm nervous...

We're sailing with an 11 and a 13 year old in July. This was their Christmas present. They are 3-time vets of Disney Cruises, and they've seen all the commercials, so their expectations are REALLY high.

Do we need to prep them for disappointment?

Thanks in advance!

Glad you had a great time on Liberty.

We're going the first week of March (the week before Spring Break!!!)

Interesting about the Platters and Nelson. I saw a post that said the Osmond Brothers will be there on our week.

I didn't realize they still got some "names" (I guess you could call them stars) as entertainment. Years ago, we saw Ben Vereen.

It's too bad that some of the wait staff were unhappy. We're hoping for good staff.

The Norovirus thing is getting us a little nervous as well. Who wants to be quarantined?

Glad you had a great time on Liberty.

We're going the first week of March (the week before Spring Break!!!)

Interesting about the Platters and Nelson. I saw a post that said the Osmond Brothers will be there on our week.

I didn't realize they still got some "names" (I guess you could call them stars) as entertainment. Years ago, we saw Ben Vereen.

It's too bad that some of the wait staff were unhappy. We're hoping for good staff.

The Norovirus thing is getting us a little nervous as well. Who wants to be quarantined?

How did you find out about who will be the entertainment on your cruise?

The Nelsons were filling in at the last minute for someone being sick. (Don't know who)

Have to say the Nelsons were fantastic:) But, would enjoy the Osmond brothers as well.

Saw the platters on the MOS cruise and I must admit the older audience loved it but I wanted to go too, and i am mid aged. We did LOS Nov 24 cruise and there was the noro that hit about 20 people they said. We also felt that the ship was lacking stuff to do with the kids, but they meet a group and hung out and did things. They learned to play poker... they were also in the 12 yr old group. The highlight was getting a camera to take hottie pictures. Well they had the best time and so did dh and I since we hardly saw them. They showed up only 3 times for dinner with us. The other times they ate in the windjammer with the friends or ordered personal pan pizzas from room service. They did not run all around. I spoke to some security people who said they saw my kids in the promanade and I said I hope they are not making trouble. My reply was , if they were I would have heard. So, rules are not broken and they get the freedom. (NO the liberty....) PUN intended!!! The production shows were good except one of them which I really did not like at all. That one was about fairy tales and that was not my cup of tea. As an adult I do not wish to see fairy tales acted out. We had only one comedian who was horrid, and then one singer. Other than that , there was the ice show and 3 production shows and on the last night a magican/comedian did about a 15 min show. I felt the entertainment was really lacking. I like more in terms of variety and more comedy too.

The staff was great, and after changing tables all was great. The first night was were against the wall with the waiter saying excuse me every time he needed to pass over me. He was not friendly either so no way was I staying.

Cabins were nice with the nice bedding. I never got to sleep with balcony door open since the people around me smoked and it came right into my cabin. That was the biggest disappointment.

OK, now I'm nervous...

We're sailing with an 11 and a 13 year old in July. This was their Christmas present. They are 3-time vets of Disney Cruises, and they've seen all the commercials, so their expectations are REALLY high.

Thanks in advance!

I am wondering the same thing. My kids will be 17, 15, and 12 when we cruise, and all of them really enjoyed the programs on DCL. If so many events were cancelled during a school break week, I guess that makes me a bit nervous...

How is the teen area? My oldest loves The Stack on DCL, and met lots of friends there. They had a lot of structure for the teens--with "just enough" flexibility to let them think they were running the show (LOL).

I am sure they will find plenty to do when we cruise on the Independence, but the kids programs, if well done, can be a source of fun and a great place to meet other kids with the same interests.

I'd especially prefer that my oldest DS hangs out with other teens in the teen venue than roaming around the ship.

How was disembarking??? What time was your flight?? We are sailing in May and the flight I am looking at leaves Miami at 1025. What do you think???

When we got off Liberty after our Thanksgiving cruise 2 in our party almost made a 11:00 flight at FLL so you SHOULD be okay but just make sure you are the first bunch leaving - we left at a leisurely pace since we had 1:15PM flights. Oh and so did the other 2 in our party - it was just that when they checked in they were told if they had gotten there just 10 minutes earlier they could have made the 11:00AM flight. It might be a bit stressful but you should be okay!

OK, now I'm nervous...

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't be too worried since I know you are cruising her in the summer and I think that tends towards a different atmosphere then the Holiday cruises - which even though they can be loaded with kids the kids may not be participating as much as they do on other more kid prone breaks. Although my kids have never been interested in the kids programs we saw kids enjoying them and the areas seemed to look like fun - I think it can just occasionally be hit or miss as to how many participate but I would think in the summer participation would be high. I really wouldn't worry too much - I think your kids will really enjoy this ship! :)

Archived