Has anyone visited Koala Park in Sydney? Trying to choose an excursion??

petlover

One of the excursions offered is to Koala Park (a natural and historic native animal and bird sanctuary) Has anyone been there? Trying to decide which excursions to choose that don't require difficult walking or climbing. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Before you splash out any big money for that sort of excursion, have a look at Sydney's own Taronga Zoo to see if that offers you what you want. If your ship is docked at the International Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay (opposite the Opera House), it's 5 minutes' stroll down to the city ferries at the top of Circular Quay and a quick and very scenic hop over to the Zoo.

I suppose you might not get the full "petting a koala" experience or whatever the other place offers (although that site may tell you more) but it'll certainly be a better value day out.

Hi petlover,

May I encourage you to visit Taronga Zoo as others have suggested. It is a fabulous ferry ride across our wonderful harbour, and then you can enter the zoo by taking the 'sky cabin lift' up to the top entrance giving you fantastic views over the zoo and also our harbour. I suggest this as the Zoo is built on a hill running down to the harbour, and it is much easier to walk downhill through the zoo back to the ferry, than uphill all the way.

There are various opportunities to get 'up close and personal' with koalas, have your photo taken with them, but I must warn you - no matter what park or zoo you are visiting - it is against the law in New South Wales to actually touch or 'pet' a koala. This law has been in force for sometime as study has shown that koalas get stressed easily. Some parks or zoos put a koala on a cushion, and that is what you are actually holding, not the koala.

At Taronga the koalas are in a natural habit for you to observe (that is, sitting in gum tree branches). You will be taken into their enclosure by a zoo keeper and you can walk right up to them in a special area. Let me also warn you - they are vicious little critters - no quite so 'cute and cuddly' as they appear to be. The reason they look so placid is that they sleep some 20 hours out of 24.

Hope I haven't put you off looking at our native fauna! While you are at the zoo, there is an opportunity for only the price of a gold coin (usually A$2) for you to have a personal guide show you around our native Australian animals - tour lasts about an hour. A real bargain - they are not 'group' tours - but very personal as I have said, even if there is only 1 of you. Ask at the Information Centre just inside the top entrance of the zoo. If you would like any further information - ask away!

Enjoy Sydney and your cruise!

Robyn

I lived in Sydney for years & have fond memories of our occasional visits to Koala Park. However, it is in Pennant Hills which is about 20 miles from where you will be docked. It will be quite a long bus ride. You will see the same animals & many more at Taronga Park Zoo. Just take the ordinary ferry across the harbour from Circular Quay. I think there is now a Gondola type ride from the ferry dock at the zoo to the main entrance. Then work your way back downhill seeing the animals and taking in the spectacular views of Sydney & the Harbour.

Bronnie

I agree with both Robyn and Bronnie.

Many years ago, too many in fact to even think about, we did go to Koala Park and enjoyed looking at the Koalas but as Bronnie mentioned it is a long bus ride from the Dock.

Tooronga Park Zoo is fantastic. The ferry ride there, though only about 10 minutes is wonderful and once there get the sky lift up and walk down slowly, as Robyn has suggested. The views are extraordinary and the animals are pretty good as well.

Our daughter lived opposite the zoo for many years and I have fond memories of taking my grandchildren over there every time I visited. The Zoo in Melbourne (my home town) is better but you cannot beat the setting of Taroonga Park, it must be the most beautiful in the world.

This way you not only get to have a trip on the harbour but you also see our unique native animals. I hope you enjoy your time in our great country.

Jennie.

Hi,

Another vote for Taronga Zoo here, however some friends recently visited the zoo (in the past 3 weeks) and there were some renovations going on and some of the animals had been moved or weren't out. I would expect that they'll have this all done by the Australian summer, but it might be worth a call or an e-mail before you decide for sure.

Thanks.

Yes, there are indeed some renovations and new building being done at Taronga at the moment. However, 95% of the animals are still there for you to see, just perhaps some have been moved from their original enclosures to other places. This is to reduce any stress to them from building noises.

In an earlier response I recommended you make the Information Centre at the top of the Zoo your first stop - they have all the latest information and updated maps so you can find your favourite animals. If time is limited, and you would like to see our unique native animals in particular, ask at the Centre about the individual tours as I have previously suggested. The wonderful staff there will ensure you have a very personal tour and don't miss out on anything.

Another tip which doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet, is that at Circular Quay where the ferries run to the Zoo, you can buy an all-inclusive ticket which will give you the great ferry ride across the harbour and entrance to the zoo and the sky cabin lift to the top entrance. That will save you buying individual tickets, ensure a smooth entry and leave a bit more time to see those wonderful animals.

Enjoy!

Robyn

KiwiKruzer and Robyn:

Thanks for all the great information on the Taronga zoo. Can anyone tell me more about the Sydney Hop-on, Hop-off bus? We will be in Sydney for about 3-1/2 days prior to our cruise tour and 12 day cruise. We will definitely want to go to the zoo. As we do not wish to make a flying visit there, is there a place to have lunch at the zoo. I don't mean in the pens, I mean in a restaurant of course.

Thanks for all your great help.

Johanna

Archived