Train from Rome to the port of Civitavecchia

In June, we are taking a cruise that departs from the port of Civitavecchia. Has anyone taken the train from the Termini station to Civitavecchia? Would you recommend it? How close is the train station to the port at which the ship might dock? What about the luggage is there a limitation, a place to store it or does it stay with us? Are there cabs available to take us to the port?

Thank you in advance for your responses and suggestions.

We took the train to Civi last May and I would recommend it if you don't have a lot of luggage. The walk to where the train to Civi leaves out of Rome Termini is long so you must give yourself plenty of time. We had one 28" rolling bag and one carryon per person that we could easily handle. We also took the local train that ended in Civi so we wouldn't have to worry about getting off quickly. This local train also stops on the terminal side of the tracts so there are no stairs to go down and up to pass under the tracts. It does take a little longer but also costs less. It wasn't crowded at all so we just kept our luggage on the seat across from us. We stopped by Rome Termini the day before so we would know where we needed to go and where to buy our tickets. We used the automated machine with our credit card and the tickets were 4.5E. We really enjoyed taking the train.

Yes, thank you! There are literally hundreds of threads on this subject.

Happy travels,

Donna

By now it just has to be in the THOUSANDS...I have no idea why they do not make this a STICKY..but then no one reads those first either:D

BTW,Happy New Year:)

Just think through how much luggage you have with you as to the practicality of taking a train.

The train station in Civitavecchia is too long a walk from the cruise ship terminal areas so you would need to take a taxi from there.

Keith

Thank you to all of you who replied. I am new to using the boards and am not aware of what is out there. I did try to search using 'Train to Civitavecchia" but apparently I did not know what to look. Thanks again, sorry too about the double entry --- again, I am new an did not know the first one was sent.

Guidebook writer's tip: there are other places to visit near Civitavecchia that you might find interesting , many have been mentioned on these posts : Civita di Bagnoregio, Tarquinia, Lake Bracciano (castle where T. Cruise married) and Lake Bolsena. Lovely countryside, Etruscan sites, Renaissance gardens and castles. Have you already been to Rome?

There are seminarian students (and profs) from various international colleges studying in Rome who give free tours inside St. Peter's late morning and afternoons, 10:30-11 and 3 p.m. last time I checked with meeting place in the portico) also weekends, whenever they dont have class.

You could check the website of the North American College, or ask Santa Susanna, the American church in Rome...or just show up at St. Peter's and hope the tour in English is just about to start. I did this back in Holy Year 1975 (no, I wasnt a religious, just a teacher and St. Peter's was my local parish) .

There is no cost..and please dont tip....we just hoped we'd get a good spot in paradise! In order to be part of this project we had to do many, many hours of preparation : art history,etc.

The train from Termini runs regularly, is always on time, and is very cheap. We've done it a couple of times with lugguge and it is no problem whatsoever. The walk from the train station in Civitavecchia to the ship is only about 10 minutes and is a straight shot and you couldn't get lost if you tried. I'd never ever pay the amazing amounts the ships charge for their transportation when the train is so easy.

Archived