Just booked first cruise!

I'm a total newbie so please go easy on me :) We just booked our very first cruise. It's a 3-day to Ensenada aboard Monarch of the Seas. I've been trying to read as much as I can and will continue learning as much as I can before we leave. I have a few questions and I would appreciate any input.1. The ship departs at 5:30pm on 3/7. Our flight to LA gets in at 12:30pm. We didn't purchase transportation to the pier (if that's what it's called) along with our cruise. Can we just take a cab or are there shuttles at LAX that will take us to the pier?2. We're not really comfortable with the whole dining with strangers thing. I guess we're just not that social. I've been reading a little about the other restaurants like Portofino's. Can you request a table for 2 at these alternative restaurants? Also, I've read about cover charges and was wondering how that works. Do we only pay a cover charge to eat at these restaurants or is the cover charge in addition to the cost of the meal? Also, what is the dress code for these other restaurants?I know I have more ?s but that's all I can think of right now.Thanks again for everyone's help!

Congrats on booking your first cruise! I am not familar with that port, but from most ports you can easily take a cab from the airport to the port. If possible you may want to fly in the day before your cruise; flight delays are common these days and it would really be disappointing if your flight was delayed and you did not make it to the ship on time. I know that sometimes it is not possible to fly in the day before though.

You will receive a table for two automatically at Portofinos. The cover charge covers the cost of the meal. You pay extra for alcoholic beverage, sparkling water, and sodas. Most people also tip an extra $5 to $10 per person, but that is optional. You can also request a table for two in the main dining room, but this can not be guaranteed as there are often more requests than tables for two available. I have always sat with 2-3 other couples, had a great time with them, and wound up making friends with some of them.

Have a great cruise. :)

I'm a total newbie so please go easy on me :) We just booked our very first cruise. It's a 3-day to Ensenada aboard Monarch of the Seas. I've been trying to read as much as I can and will continue learning as much as I can before we leave. I have a few questions and I would appreciate any input.

First welcome to the boards and to cruising. Don't blame us if you get hooked on both.;)

1.The ship departs at 5:30pm on 3/7. Our flight to LA gets in at 12:30pm. We didn't purchase transportation to the pier (if that's what it's called) along with our cruise. Can we just take a cab or are there shuttles at LAX that will take us to the pier? I normally just grab a cab at the airports but I have never sailed out of LA so I can't say specifically. Someone else will have to give you specifics

2. We're not really comfortable with the whole dining with strangers thing. I guess we're just not that social. I've been reading a little about the other restaurants like Portofino's. I don't believe Monarch has a Portofino restaurant. They do have a Jade (sushi restaurant) but never have been.

As far requesting a table for 2, you should have been asked that when you booked but keep in mind it is only a request and you won't find out definitely until you actually board.

I'm a total newbie so please go easy on me :) We just booked our very first cruise. It's a 3-day to Ensenada aboard Monarch of the Seas. I've been trying to read as much as I can and will continue learning as much as I can before we leave. I have a few questions and I would appreciate any input.1. The ship departs at 5:30pm on 3/7. Our flight to LA gets in at 12:30pm. We didn't purchase transportation to the pier (if that's what it's called) along with our cruise. Can we just take a cab or are there shuttles at LAX that will take us to the pier?2. We're not really comfortable with the whole dining with strangers thing. I guess we're just not that social. I've been reading a little about the other restaurants like Portofino's. Can you request a table for 2 at these alternative restaurants? Also, I've read about cover charges and was wondering how that works. Do we only pay a cover charge to eat at these restaurants or is the cover charge in addition to the cost of the meal? Also, what is the dress code for these other restaurants?I know I have more ?s but that's all I can think of right now.Thanks again for everyone's help!

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruiseing and cruise critic! You have a little time to get your answers so remember to breath ;)

A couple of things comes to mind for first time RCI cruisers:

Set-Sail pass: It will speed up getting on the ship if you have done it online.

Do you know how to do it / or have done it already? Just post for more info.

As soon as you arrive at the port you will be separated from your luggage (except carry on) until late in the afternoon or possibly early evening. So, carry valuables, medicine, required paperwork, and whatever else you don't want to do without for several hours.

Now, about eating with strangers ...... it's really not that big of a deal. You don't have to talk to them and there is NO pressure. Almost All of the food in included in your cruise price.

Your cruise documents will explain the "dress code" although you will see lots of variations.

Here is a link to RCI frequently asked questions.

Enjoy :)

Even though you said you weren't very social there is a thing here on CC called Roll Calls. It's where people on the same cruise can chat. Right now your roll call for this cruise only has one other CC member on it. The CC member is a paramedic who lives in LA and has been a CC member since 2005. I think you might get a lot of good info and get to know someone on you cruise by posting on the Roll Call for your cruise.......

Here is the link: Monarch of the Seas ~ 03/07/2008 !!

Enjoy :)

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far!!! It is very much appreciated.Sue L I wasn't asked about the seating when I reserved. I hope I didn't do anything wrong! I initially placed a 24 hr hold on the reservation until I could confirm our flights. Once I did that, I paid the $200 deposit but wasn't asked about anything further. I will go back and double-check that. I'll also have to do more research about the alternative restaurants. I was probably reading about Portofino for another ship.petel I remember reading about the Set-Sail thing but don't really recall what that is. Is that part of the online check-in?Thanks again!!

Dining with strangers is the only point I'll address, as everyone else has better info on the other points.

It's not that big of a deal.

I disagree with a pp that "you don't have to talk to them" as I think this would be the height of rude. If you are sharing a table, at the very least you should greet each other and introduce yourselves. Hopefully conversation will be easy and flow. That is far preferable to silence, or each couple speaking only to themselves.

You don't have to become best friends, or make plans outside dinner or anything else, but do attempt to speak and be civil. It's not hard. It's not that big of a deal. And consider that many others are also seated with strangers. So what? You share the cruise, the table and hopefully a fine dinner.

I repeat, it's not that big of a deal. Make the best of it.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far!!! It is very much appreciated.Sue L I wasn't asked about the seating when I reserved. I hope I didn't do anything wrong! I initially placed a 24 hr hold on the reservation until I could confirm our flights. Once I did that, I paid the $200 deposit but wasn't asked about anything further. I will go back and double-check that. I'll also have to do more research about the alternative restaurants. I was probably reading about Portofino for another ship.petel I remember reading about the Set-Sail thing but don't really recall what that is. Is that part of the online check-in?Thanks again!!

Yes, that is the online check-in.

About your booking questions ... you should have been asked which seating you wanted and what size table you prefer.

Yes, that is the online check-in.

About your booking questions ... you should have been asked which seating you wanted and what size table you prefer.

Call back whomever you booked through either your TA or RCCl and make sure your table request and dining time you want you both taken care of.

We took this cruise last year. From LAX take a cab or try Super Shuttle. Port is in Long Beach. You can board when you arrive...you'll be there about 1:30. Don't bring booze. Ask at dinner for a change to a small table. Special restaurants charge only the cover, plus drinks. Have fun.

Congratulations on booking your first cruise!:D

We enjoying meeting our tablemates and often learn alot about our destinations during dinner because people have different plans and also give feedback about their day at dinner. As a new cruiser, you may pick up alot of tips from your tablemates and meet some nice people in the process.

There are reviews at the front of this forum of the ships and destinations; you might enjoy reading up on where you are going.

Have a great cruise!

Kathy:)

YOu can also try Prime Time Shuttle (http://www.primetimeshuttle.com) which you can book ahead of time and have a "reservation".

I think you should try the regular dining room seating....we have always had great table mates and enjoyed them very much. If you find you don't like the situation you can then eat in other venues or request a solitary table.

Hope you have a great cruise.

We took this cruise last year. From LAX take a cab or try Super Shuttle. Port is in Long Beach. You can board when you arrive...you'll be there about 1:30. Don't bring booze. Ask at dinner for a change to a small table. Special restaurants charge only the cover, plus drinks. Have fun.

The reservation says the port is in LA. I remember we were looking at a 3-day Carnival cruise that leaves from Long Beach. Could you possibly be refering to that one? I don't want to end up at the wrong port.

It says LA for Vision and Vision leaves from San Pedro, not Long Beach-- so you need to determine exactly which port you will leave from from RCI.

I'm assuming Vision is the name of another ship. We're sailing on Monarch. Our reservation says Port of LA, San Pedro something.

OK, so you are leaving from San Pedro. I knew Vision left from there but was not certain about Monarch. You can still catch Prime Time Shuttle from LAX to San Pedro.

Yes, Vision is another RCI ship and the web site states that it departs and returns to LA. It is actually San Pedro.

As others have said, you should call back whoever you booked with and request a table for 2 at dinner.

When you get on the ship, go to the dining room and find your table. This way you will know if your request has been granted. If you find yourself at a table for more than 2, they have a time set aside that afternoon for seating changes. They will then try to honor your request and move you to a table more to your liking.

Congrats on booking your first cruise!!

Someone may have already answered these, but you can never get too much cruise information :D

Did you book your air with the cruise line, or separately? If you booked with a travel agent, pray your plane gets in on time, and see if the agent can arrange a transfer for you - or get a cab. Most airports do have shuttles to get to the pier, but you have to pay. It might be a good idea to arrange the transfers ahead just to save yourself the worry.

Don't dismiss dining with others altogether. We have had three cruises now - one at a table for six, one at a table for ten where four never showed, and our most recent one a table for ten where we all had so much fun we didn't want to miss dinner with them. Some of those people have become our friends and remain so years later. Flex your social muscles and give it a try.

Yes you can get a table for two at both Chops and Portofinos. The $20 per person cover charge is only for those two restaurants. I suggest you call and make a reservation as soon as you get on board, especially on a three-day cruise - they do get booked up. You will get a reminder in your room on the day of your meal, and the dress code will be either formal or smart casual. The dress code will be written on your reminder as well.

Most of us who cruise go in the day before - because if you are booked through the cruise line they are responsible if you don't make the ship. But if you book and your own and don't make the ship, you are on your own to get to the next port. It may be too late for you this time, but it's something to keep in mind for the next cruise.

Take a change of undies and perhaps your PJs in your hand luggage, just in case something happens to your suitcases. On our recent trip, someone's luggage never did catch up to them - by the time the airline found it we were on our way across the Atlantic, so they just had their stuff flown back home.

Decide how much you can afford in drinks etc - it is surprising how they mount up even in a few days. The onboard account can be a real surprise if you aren't really keeping track.

Some airports are allowing bottled water through now, but some are not. Make sure you check out your airline web page for luggage allowances and what you can and cannot take on board. Some US airports are requiring removal of shoes, and we saw several people parted from their bottled water.

Make photocopies of your passport and credit cards, and any other ID you may be taking. Don't carry all your money in one place.

Thats all I can think of.....at the moment:D MerionMom, who is I believe Monarch groupie, may be along, if she has not been already.

Have a ball.....

Fran in Toronto

Set-Sail pass: It will speed up getting on the ship if you have done it online.

Do you know how to do it / or have done it already? Just post for more info.

Not necessarily :D:D We didn't bother with the set sail pass this time - I was just so busy I never had time. When we got to the ship the set sail line was enormous, and when we said we hadn't done it, they checked us in through the suites/diamond line - which essentially was non-existent. We were aboard in about 15 minutes, while the other line was taking much longer.

Fran in Toronto

Archived