Cruising with teens

sklskygrp

We are booked on the Elation for January 2, 2005, and have a group of 35 people booked. We will have kids from 8 years old to 18 years of age. (My son is 15) I'm wondering if anyone can give me some insight to what they can keep busy with during the days at sea. Is Camp Carnival just for the little ones, or is their teen group something worth while in checking out? I know they will enjoy the pool for awhile, but wondering what activities (if any) are designed especiallyfor this age group. (mostly boys)

Thanks!

Naomi :D

There are not a lot (if any) "scheduled" activities for this age group (15-16).

Even if there were, I don't think a lot of kids would show up for them. It seems at that age most of the kids like to meet others and just "hang out"? I know my daughter was 15 on our first cruise and along with her cousin, they met others and they always met up during the day and after dinner and hung out in groups.

They would go to the shows, sit around on deck and do whatever! Some kids might be bored with this, but my daughter always had a ball. I have never sailed on the Elation, but they may have a sports area of some kind and I think they have a game room that's pretty popular. With all the kids in your group, they should be fine and have a good time.

I agree with Starlake. Our 13 DD went the first night to meet others her age, and they "hung out" together for the rest of the cruise. There were about 10 of them ranging in age from 13 -16. She still keeps in touch with a few of them via e-mail. We all had a ball and love to cruise.

When my kids were teens they LOVED to cruise on Carnival. There were lots of other kids for them to pal around with. I must warn, however, for me, these were the least relaxing of any of my cruises. I found many of my waking hours consumed with supervision. NO, I was NOT hanging over them like a vulture, but (even more than at home) I had to keep an eye on where they were, who they were with, and what they were doing. I also had a rule that they could not leave their cabin after we all went to bed. The consequences for breaking this rule were simply to have to stay with grandmother during the next cruise instead of coming with us. UNSUPERVISED teens are a major source of irritation for adult cruisers. A group of kids enjoying high spirits can put a real damper on an adult moment of quiet enjoyment or romantic conversation.

I am totally relieved to have delivered the kids to adulthood. I do smile when they ask me if we can treat them to a cruise again. My answer is that this time it is their turn to treat me.

Here is a page to give you an idea what kind of activites are in the camps. These can vary dependng on the ship-it just gives you an idea.

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=carnival+camp+capers&new=1

as far as the older teen.. Too cool for the group program. There will be a meeting the first night that they should attend. No matter if they made their minds up or not. They should go. (enforce that- they will thank you later in the week)

Thanks for the responses....any advice is greatly appreciated! I will make sure to pass along the info that they need to check things out with the other teens on that first night...from then on out, I'm sure they will find it more fun just to be with other kids. I, too, will worry about what they are doing, where they are, and hoping they are on their best behavior!

Can't wait to get on the ship! It just can't get here soon enough!

Keep the advice coming!

Here is a page to give you an idea what kind of activites are in the camps. These can vary dependng on the ship-it just gives you an idea.

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=carnival+camp+capers&new=1

as far as the older teen.. Too cool for the group program. There will be a meeting the first night that they should attend. No matter if they made their minds up or not. They should go. (enforce that- they will thank you later in the week)

Agreed, they'll think the teen stuff is lame but the first night meeting you've got to get them to go to if you have to drag them there kicking and screaming. The cliques that are such a big part of teen group dynamics will be formed very quickly, be very intense, and over before they know it. They've GOT to get in on the ground floor, it's critical to their cruise experience.

They will have a wonderful time! Just please fill them in on the rules before you go, safety is key. Consideration is also so appreciated by other cruisers. I have two boys and I drum it into their heads months before we go regarding other people, elevator rules, no running, no obnoxious pool behavior & just basic manners and respect. Of course, mine are younger but I hope to teach them early and take them on many more vacations.

And, it makes for a pleasant cruise for everyone.

Anyway, have fun and take a lot of pictures!

One of the fun things about a cruise with my kids was trying new foods. Each night at dinner we got a new soup topass around--every one got a taste....more then likely each soup was ordered by someone at the table. Entrees...same thing. We got an extra entree jsut for the table for every to try. It was fun and we discovered we liked other foods.

Activites for kids or adults??

I always like the midnight buffet held on the lido deck one night during the week. (its a huge party) the best was on the Sensation when we cruised to New Orleans. That night there was a Mardi Gras Party and everyone was decked out in beads and masks. They had a congo line and judged a king and queen and my son was picked as king. They had served every mexican food imaginable. We stayed up that night til almost 3am.

For your teen there will be swimming under the stars. pizza parties, heading to the shows.

Just a note for ALL you parents... I will not be bringing any children, and don't mind if you do, as I am sure you will insure that they are courteous and well behaved at all times and do not disturb the other guests...

but PLEASE follow the new Carnival regulation that ALL children uner the age of 19 MUST be kept on a leash at ALL times when not in your cabin... :eek:

you can see a fine example at http://www.smallplanetkids.com/

.. any children found not properly secured will be placed in the hold for the remainder of the cruise!!! LOL!!!

(Oh if ONLY this were true!!!)

Waterguy, sounds like you have had some "experiences" with unruley kids running around and disturbing your vacation! That's very unfortunate, and shame on those parents for not controlling their kids!

I guarantee that the 6 kids in my group WILL be well behaved and respectful to fellow cruisers. However, they are entitled to their fun, too!

Hoping your sailing on the GLORY is wonderful! ENJOY!!!!!

Just a note for ALL you parents... I will not be bringing any children, and don't mind if you do, as I am sure you will insure that they are courteous and well behaved at all times and do not disturb the other guests...

but PLEASE follow the new Carnival regulation that ALL children uner the age of 19 MUST be kept on a leash at ALL times when not in your cabin... :eek:

you can see a fine example at http://www.smallplanetkids.com/

.. any children found not properly secured will be placed in the hold for the remainder of the cruise!!! LOL!!!

(Oh if ONLY this were true!!!)

Waterguy, you hit it right on the head! I just wanted to give a heads up to all you cruising parents traveling with teenagers. We have one son who is going to be 18 in October (if I let him live that long) and we just went on a cruise in April with him. He took off and found new friends to hang out with and we allowed him a 2AM curfew, figuring there wasn't much he could get into on a cruise ship. WRONG!! Not long after this cruise, he admitted to me that he'd been drinking every single night of the cruise and had come in at 2AM, with me partially awake but not suspecting anything, and he just went to bed. During this 'confession', I asked him how he got the alcohol to drink in the first place and he said most of the teens he was hanging out with actually brought the alcohol ON to the ship, mostly in water bottles. I guess gin and vodka look exactly like water and none of the offending teens parents were any the wiser. Also, he told me that lots of kids just snuck the alcohol onboard in suitcases or had older siblings purchase it for them onboard. Needless to say, I was stunned and felt horribly betrayed over all this. All the time we were onboard, I thought my child was just 'hanging out' with newly discovered friends. My son also told me that most of this drinking was done inside cabins....seems a lot of parents have seperate cabins for their teens. I know this is necessary when traveling with larger groups/families, but it does present unbelievable opportunities for teens to hole up in a cabin and drink part of the night away....as is obvious from my own son's behaviour. Needless to say, we will not be cruising again until he is not in the equation (he's planning on entering the military next summer after high school graduation). My point in all this is....to all parents traveling with teenagers....do not assume your teen is just 'hanging out' with other teens. A lot more could be going on than you think. Unfortunately, I have no solutions to any of these...heck, we even had walkie talkies and kept in contact with him but it didn't make a bit of difference! If anyone has had similar experiences like this, I'd sure like to know! Sometimes as the mother of a teenager, I sure do feel stupid!!

Archived