Great Stirrup Cay Excursions?

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are booked on the March 29th sailing of the Sun, which includes a stop at Great Stirrup Cay. I notice that there's exactly one excursion listed, the "Private Island Snorkel".

I realize that this is going to sound like a really dumb question (and I apologize in advance): if only one of us wants to snorkel but we both want to lounge around on the beach, can we only book one excursion? Will they let you off the ship without an excursion booked, or do we both need to pay the $29 just to enjoy the beach?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are booked on the March 29th sailing of the Sun, which includes a stop at Great Stirrup Cay. I notice that there's exactly one excursion listed, the "Private Island Snorkel".

I realize that this is going to sound like a really dumb question (and I apologize in advance): if only one of us wants to snorkel but we both want to lounge around on the beach, can we only book one excursion? Will they let you off the ship without an excursion booked, or do we both need to pay the $29 just to enjoy the beach?

Thanks!

Not a dumb question.

Yes, only one can snorkel.

Yes, you can go to the Island and just relax. Eat, drink, sunbathe in a chair or hammock, walk, swim.

Come and go as you please on the tenders to GSC.

Relax and enjoy:)

The $29 is for snorkel equipment rental only so if you have your own or you don't want to snorkel then it doesn't cost anything to go ashore. Lunch is free, drinks can be signed to your room. The straw market is cash tho so you may want to take a couple of bucks if you want to shop a bit but you don't have to.

Great Stirrup Cay is my favorite spot to laze on the beach and snorkel. Very restful day.

After reading other posters encounters with nasty snorkel tubes...and reading about staph:eek: ...bring your own mouthpiece. Cheap!

If you are that worried, then also bring your mask too because there are just as many germs there as in the snorkel.

I saw an average snorkel, mask, fins combo at Sams Club for $39.95. $29 to rent or an extra $10 to keep it? Hmmm? I'm sure you'll find a decent set somewhere.

BTW, I live in Jersey, and they're already bringing out the summer stuff at Sams. I guess that makes sense since they brought out the Christmas stuff in August.

we did the parasailing..$79 per person. if you are so inclined, sign up before you leave ship. it was difficult to sign up once you were on island because of limited space available. But not impossible.

Landlady, could you only book the parasailing once you were on the ship? It's not available on our sailing to book through the internet. (Only excursion is snorkeling at Great Stirrup Cay).

Thanks,

Kim.

Not sure about the only booking on board. I booked many of my excursions on the phone before we left. You might want to call them and ask about the parasailing. I hesitated booking it ahead becasue of weather and not sure my kids would really do it. when we got to island I had to wait until they saw what the final count was on prebooked reservations. because of limited space he didn't want to give me a time that someone else had alraedy signed up for. when you prebook, you don't prebook a time but just a spot.

hope this helps

Not sure about the only booking on board. I booked many of my excursions on the phone before we left. You might want to call them and ask about the parasailing. I hesitated booking it ahead becasue of weather and not sure my kids would really do it. when we got to island I had to wait until they saw what the final count was on prebooked reservations. because of limited space he didn't want to give me a time that someone else had alraedy signed up for. when you prebook, you don't prebook a time but just a spot.

hope this helps

Parasailing is seasonal even in Great Stirrup cay, it is not available in the winter months, that maybe why it is not listed as an available shore excursion. We booked in on board, if they had to cancel due to weather it would be credited back to your account. We have our own snorkel gear. If you have your own gear you do not have to pay the $ 29 to snorkel. Vests will be given to everyone free of charge even if you have your own equipment.

The BBQ is of course free, any drinks are charged back to your room. Cash is only required if you want to shop at the few shops/market on the island.

Great Stirrup cay has been our favorite beach day. It is just sit back relax, a real no brainer. There are some activities, volleyball, etc, and music.

Archived