A honest question

Lithium

[quote name='Lithium']Given the hell that people endure with hurricanes, the terror, the uncertainty, the monetary issues, everything that does along with a devastating hurricane.....why do you people live in Florida? I mean no offense, I honestly want to know what keeps people there. Do the benefits of living in Florida outweigh what happens during a hurricane season?[/QUOTE]
because:
(a) my company transferred me here
(b) fell in love with it the first week
(c) crystal clear and warm waters (live on the Gulf coast)
(d) outstanding cultural events
(e) ability to easily spend a weekend at Disney or Universal (we have become Disney "trash" ...as one couple lovingly referred to themselves!)
(f) quick and easy access to cruise lines (YEA!!!)
(g) ability to swim year round in our pool (although true Floridians don't swim Jan-March...but I don't mind the 70 degree temps!)
(h) the sunsets over the Gulf. You haven't lived until you see them. and it's so nice to be able to drive out to the beach after work, order a nice drink, and just sit there and watch people enjoying themselves and then viewing the spectacular sunset.
(i) the people. because most are "transplants", neighbors tend to look out for each other more
(j) seashells
(k) lush plants all year. it's a hoot to have poinsettias OUTSIDE at Christmas time!
(l) sailboats, especially at sunset
(m) FRESH seafood always!
(n) watching the porpoise frolic and play
(o) the manatee
(p) having egrets walk right up to you
(q) driving to work all year with the top down...and then coming home with the top down! (unless of course it is raining!)
(r) being able to put up Christmas decorations without freezing to death
(s) watching geckos on the pool screen catch bugs
(t) being able to drive down to the Keys easily
(u) the cost of living
(v) our house...split plan allows for guests to virtually have their own section of the house when visiting
(w) guests...when you live in Florida...you get LOTS of company!
(x) when guests leave!
(y) being able to have the windows open at night in January
(z) the beauty of GREEN...at all times.
So what don't I like?
(a) hurricanes
(b) fire ants
(c) snakes
A much shorter list!

[quote name='estj']because: [/QUOTE]Interesting list, let me adapt it to the reasons why we love to live in California's Bay Area....

[i](a) my company transferred me here[/i]
[color=magenta](A) My wife's job brought us here[/color]
[i](b) fell in love with it the first week[/i]
[color=magenta](B) ditto[/color]
[i](c) crystal clear and warm waters (live on the Gulf coast)[/i]
[color=magenta](C) Emerald green cool waters[/color]
[i](d) outstanding cultural events[/i]
[color=magenta](D) More culture (and more cultures) than any other place west of the Appalachians[/color]
[i](e) ability to easily spend a weekend at Disney or Universal [/i][color=magenta](E) ability to easily spend a weekend in the US' best wine country[/color]
[i](f) quick and easy access to cruise lines (YEA!!!)[/i]
[color=magenta](F) ditto (San Francisco & San Diego)[/color]
[i](g) ability to swim year round in our pool (although true Floridians don't swim Jan-March...but I don't mind the 70 degree temps!)[/i]
[color=magenta](G) ditto. True Californians feel the same way[/color]
[i](h) the sunsets over the Gulf. You haven't lived until you see them. and it's so nice to be able to drive out to the beach after work, order a nice drink, and just sit there and watch people enjoying themselves and then viewing the spectacular sunset.[/i]
[color=magenta](H) Sunset over the Pacific. Our waves are bigger![/color]
[i](i) the people. because most are "transplants", neighbors tend to look out for each other more[/i]
[color=magenta](I) Ditto. But our neighbors come from more countries than yours![/color]
[i](j) seashells[/i]
[color=magenta](J) ditto[/color]
[i](k) lush plants all year. it's a hoot to have poinsettias OUTSIDE at Christmas time![/i]
[color=magenta](K) and lemon trees and lime trees and orange trees...[/color]
[i](l) sailboats, especially at sunset[/i]
[color=magenta](L) or any other time[/color]
[i](m) FRESH seafood always![/i]
[color=magenta](M) ditto, ditto, ditto. Dungeness Crabs, Wild Salmon[/color]!
[i](n) watching the porpoise frolic and play[/i]
[color=magenta](N) watching the dolphins frolic & play[/color]
[i](o) the manatee[/i]
[color=magenta](O) the sea lions[/color]
[i](p) having egrets walk right up to you[/i]
[color=magenta](P) having Condors swoop overhead[/color]
[i](q) driving to work all year with the top down...and then coming home with the top down! (unless of course it is raining!)[/i]
[color=magenta](Q) only raining 4 months a year![/color]
[i](r) being able to put up Christmas decorations without freezing to death[/i]
[color=magenta](R) Freezing? What's that?[/color]
[i](s) watching geckos on the pool screen catch bugs[/i]
[color=magenta](S) ditto[/color]
[i](t) being able to drive down to the Keys easily[/i]
[color=magenta](T) being able to drive to the sierras easily[/color]
[i](u) the cost of living[/i]
[color=magenta](U) you got me there![/color]
[i](v) our house...split plan allows for guests to virtually have their own section of the house when visiting[/i]
[color=magenta](V) houses are small, so there's no room for guests![/color]
[i](w) guests...when you live in Florida...you get LOTS of company![/i]
[color=magenta](W) we've had more guests in 3 years in CA then in 10 years in TX![/color]
[i](x) when guests leave![/i]
[color=magenta](X) ditto[/color]
[i](y) being able to have the windows open at night in January[/i]
[color=magenta](Y) needing to have the window open in January![/color]
[i](z) the beauty of GREEN...at all times.[/i]
[color=magenta](Z) The golds, the greens, the clear blue sky...[/color]

So what don't I like?
[i](a) hurricanes[/i]
[color=magenta](A) Earthquakes[/color]
[i](b) fire ants[/i]
[color=magenta](B) any ants[/color]
[i](c) snakes[/i]
[color=magenta](C) Traffic[/color]
A much shorter list!

Don't you feel sorry for the rest of the country? (not to mention, of course, our non-US friends) :)

Here come two cents worth from a SW Floridian:

17.5 reasons for living in FL: nostateincometaxesgreatweatherwatereverywheresunsandhotwetbluenicepeopleoutdoorlifestyleoceanandgulfneighborlinessgreatfishinggoodairportsforculturalescapes.

Personal version of new math: 20+20 is less than 4...............

20 years in Chi town (a TRULY great city with winters from hell).
20 years in burbs NYC (a great city if it weren't for the attitudes and goofy pace)
4 years in Florida

[quote name='dakrewser']
Don't you feel sorry for the rest of the country? (not to mention, of course, our non-US friends) :)[/QUOTE]

I know you are joking here, but honestly, where people live is based very much on their likes and dislikes. Everyone has touted the weather like its the greatest thing and that anywhere that doesn't have warm weather is bad. My wife would die if she couldn't have her snow days. I have lived in both a warm climate year round and one that changes every season. I prefer the change of seasons, the fall colors, snow on Christmas, mountains (I mean real mountains) etc. To each his own I suppose.

[quote name='Lithium']My wife would die if she couldn't have her snow days. I have lived in both a warm climate year round and one that changes every season. I prefer the change of seasons, the fall colors, snow on Christmas, mountains (I mean real mountains) etc. To each his own I suppose.[/QUOTE]
Oh, we love the snow also - we try to visit it at least once a year. It's much nicer when you're staying in a hotel, someone else shovels the walk and there's no need to put on a coat to 'go out' to dinner.:rolleyes:

-dave

I was just trying to visualize the lower 48 to think of an area that is [i]not[/i] prone to natural disasters. What about New Mexico? I can't remember hearing of anything dire there. The state is not in tornado alley. They're not subject to hurricanes nor are they on a major fault line. It's rich in Native American history. Plus, they have some of the most spectacular scenery anywhere, including plains, desert, and mountains. H-m-m-m. Maybe we should just all move there! ;)

The eastern 1/4 of NM is known as the "high plains" -- the area where the tornados that ravage OK & TX form. Not many do damage in NM, though. A few years ago, several hundred homes in Los Alamos were burned in a huge forest fire, but they were built in a heavily wooded mountain area. Outside of that -- nope, no real "sudden" natural disasters, but we are in a severe drought situation.

I lived in Tampa for 4 months -- hated the weather. Lived in Puerto Rico for 3 years -- hated the weather. Lived in San Antonio for 5 months -- hated the weather. Grew up in Minnesota, which has the worst combination -- hot summers and incredibly frigid winters. :eek: For me, Santa Fe has the ideal climate. Moderate summers due to the 7,000 foot elevation. A little snow in the winter, but it generally falls up on the ski areas. Best of all -- extremely low humidity. Particularly in the spring and fall, when it's in the teens or below in the day. :p

A disadvantage that keeps the population down is that it's a high cost of living, low salary area. :( Outside of that, it's ideal. :D

SFJ

All through my working years I dreamed of retiring and moving to Florida. I spent most of my life in Ohio and Illinois, and I HATE winter, cold, ice, snow, bare trees - The whole thing! Florida is green, blooming and warm all year. My kids would go down to Florida with friends when they were in college, but I never had time. Then when we were on a cruise in the Mediterranean, I told DH that I wanted our next home to have palm trees in the front yard. A year later, we spent Christmas vacation in Naples, went shopping for a home, and bought a condo, where we moved after he retired.

Our condo is concrete block with tile roof and we installed hurricane shutters. So far the storms have only brought some rain and wind, but aside from being without electricity for 24 hours with Charley, there was no effect. In fact, our relatives from Eastern Florida who were evacuated during Frances spent the weekend in our condo.

Florida is Paradise to me. Now that fall is creeping in on us in Ohio, I'm making ready to fly south again. It's CRUISING season there!!!

Slinkie

Colorado is paradise to me! Having grown up in Southern California, we had great weather year around - but you know what? I found I truly enjoy the seasonal changes.

My DH was born and raised in Colorado - couldn't wait to get back to Colorado after finishing his military service... we love it here!

The only problem the past few years are all the Californian transplants who've driven up the housing prices. ;)

I like Florida, but I don't like humidity :( also, the state seems so flat to me...

Why would we NOT live in Florida?!!!! We live in paradise every single day! We live on the Treasure Coast which was hard hit by Frances but guess what? That was the first hurricane to directly hit the Treasure Coast since around 1964! 40 years - pretty good odds! (Shoot - I am 52, so I will be dead if it is another 40 years before we get a direct hit again!) When I remarried 14 years ago, I told my then-to-be-husband "I cannot marry you if you can't move to Florida when you retire - it is a dealbreaker" (I grew up in FL but had lived away for my job for 30 years) - and I absolutely meant it (fortunately he has come to love FL as much as I do and he can't imagine living anywhere else)- we lived in the Atlanta area for years but are lucky he was a school teacher so he got to retire after 30 years at age 52. We thank God each and every day that we can live here - it is absolutely paradise - not all of Florida is beautiful but the southern, tropical part just can't be beat. Y'all love the Caribbean Islands, don't you? We live like that every single day! And, as many of you have noted - everywhere you can live in the USA has some kind of weather related problems - and at least with hurricanes we have a week of warnings to prepare for it! It isn't cheap to live here but compared to up north, it is dirt cheap! But it is ok that you don't like Florida - we have enough people here already! LOL! Just kidding - y'all come on down!

Archived