Should we cab or walk from hotel in FLL to port?

If you are going RCCL, which I assume you are, it would be a LONG walk, by that I mean well over a mile, maybe closer to two! RCCL uses terminals at the other end of the port.

I haven't seen people walk to the port before. They have a checkpoint about 6 blocks from your hotel, never have seen pepole walk from there, but again obviously i'm not there all the time.

A cab would be between 10-12.00, I do believe your hotel has a free shuttle though!

I doubt if you could walk especially with luggage. Now that I think of it its a long way from where you get off main road. So even if your hotel is close to port its still a haul. If I remember right most hotels have free shuttle to ports. Call ahead to see. If not the cost of a cab is nominal probably under $20. Again call hotel and if no shuttle they can tell you how much a cab would be.

Does the hotel allow you to park your car free for the week? We live in Florida and plan on driving over the day before. I was thinking the cost of a cab (or even free shuttle) back and forth to the pier would be cheaper than a weeks worth of parking. I am not cheap but if I can save a few dollars why not.

Linda

Hi there,

We are leaving soon on our cruise but we are staying at the Embassy Suites at 17th Street prior to the cruise departure. How much would a cab be? Can we walk to the port? Is it an easy walk?

Thanks for your help!

Easy walk as in strenous? or time. It is a ling walk unless you depart with Princess. Princess is in Northport (17 Street Causeway).

Royal leaves from Midport which is quite a hike especially with luggage.

I wouldn't walk.

Does the hotel allow you to park your car free for the week? We live in Florida and plan on driving over the day before. I was thinking the cost of a cab (or even free shuttle) back and forth to the pier would be cheaper than a weeks worth of parking. I am not cheap but if I can save a few dollars why not.

Linda

Call the hotel, they will answer all of your questions and you will know for sure. I do know it is much too far to walk and not a good area for walking. I don't believe there are sidewalks once you are over the bridge.It would be very difficult to approach the customs check in walking, you would be in heavy car and truck traffic. Not a fun way to start your vacation, hot and tired and frustrated.

Cleo on a side note if you are coming in early and looking for something to do in FL ask hotel desk where to catch the water taxi to Las Olas Blvd. It's a nice ride on the intercostal waterway. It's inexpensive and Las Olas Blvd has nice shopping and great restaurants. It's worth the time. Try googling it.

The shuttle is not free (we stayed there before a cruise in October), but it is well worth the cost. I believe it was $7 per person, plus tip. A cab might be slightly less expensive. Compared to the cost of the cruise, hotel and transportation, it is a drop in the bucket. The walk would be at least a couple of miles, and not worth it in my book.

Jeff

Hi there,

We are leaving soon on our cruise but we are staying at the Embassy Suites at 17th Street prior to the cruise departure. How much would a cab be? Can we walk to the port? Is it an easy walk?

Thanks for your help!

You may not walk. Pedestrian traffic is not allowed into the port area.

You may not walk. Pedestrian traffic is not allowed into the port area.

I was going to say that, too <g>. I live in South Florida, and I don't believe you would even be ALLOWED to walk into the port. Notwithstanding that fact, the walk from the hotel would be long, tiring, and just horrible in my opinion. Definitely take a cab.

If the hotel offers a shuttle, I would take that. The cab ride can become quite expensive due to the traffic and the customs checkpoint at the entrance to the port. If they have a flat rate, go for it! No way you can walk it. Even if you wanted to there isn't any place for pedestrians to walk and many many trucks and lots of traffic. Take the shuttle for sure and enjoy!

Archived