S Caribbean - snorkeling St Thomas/St John or St Kitts Nevis

B8C

Hi,

Cruising in April 08 to the Southern Caribben including ports of St. Thomas and St. Kitts. Trying to find out if the snorkeling is better on the Princess Catamaran Sail to St. John (think this stops at Cinnamon Bay) or the St. Kitts Nevis Sail-Away. I've also posted this questions on the snorkeling/scuba board.

Due to the $$$ for these full day sails, I'm having a had time justifying both of these excursions in additon to the other snorkel trips we've scheduled. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi,

Cruising in April 08 to the Southern Caribben including ports of St. Thomas and St. Kitts. Trying to find out if the snorkeling is better on the Princess Catamaran Sail to St. John (think this stops at Cinnamon Bay) or the St. Kitts Nevis Sail-Away. I've also posted this questions on the snorkeling/scuba board.

Due to the $$$ for these full day sails, I'm having a had time justifying both of these excursions in additon to the other snorkel trips we've scheduled. Thanks in advance for your help.

We did the Nevis sailaway and the snorkeling left alot to be desired. I would take the St John trip. :)

I know cruise critic's members would come through for me.

MaryPoppinz and Colo Cruiser thanks for your help. Looks like St. John it is. Wishing you fair winds and smooth sailing.:D

We just returned from Emerald Princess (12/16-26) and we did the all day Catamaran to St. John excursion. It was wonderful - great beach and great snorkeling. Highly recommended.

That is the one I have tried 3 times, twice on the Crown and once on the Emerald and was canceled all 3 times. :rolleyes:

I think the snorkeling at St. John is better, but the beach at Nevis is Heaven on Earth. Tough call, but if what you're really after is snorkeling...probably St. John.

I haven't been yet, but I booked the St Kitts Sail & Snorkel based on recommendations from those who have. The description doesn't mention a beach stop:

==============================================================================================================================================================

St. Kitts Sail & Snorkel

Take a relaxing cruise on a catamaran to a snorkel site.

WHAT YOU VISIT

Board your catamaran for the relaxing 45-minute sail down St. Kitts scenic southwest coast. Your spacious vessel offers plenty of shaded or sunny deck. During your cruise, your crew distributes snorkel equipment and offers complimentary non-alcoholic beverages. At the snorkel site, novices are offered a basic lesson. Then snorkel, swim or relax onboard. During the return sail, enjoy rum punch and other beverages. Snorkeling equipment including safety vest, professional instruction, supervision, complimentary beverages and transportation are included.

=================================================================================================================================================================

I have done catamaran sails to St John and can rcommend the full day sail. The sail is relaxing, the views of the islands enroute are excellent and the snorkeling is good. I have seen a number of complaints about the shorter St John cat snorkel trips. I suspect the crews rush to get back for an afternoon trip.

For the poster who asked, Capt Nautica is listed as a snorkel vendor for Princess, but it's a totally different half day trip:

==============================================================================================================================================================

Captain Nautica's Snorkeling Expedition

This action-packed snorkel adventure crams a lot of adventure into the day.

WHAT YOU VISIT

Your small group boards a state-of the-art, 31-foot, hard-bottomed inflatable for the cruise to two of the best snorkeling sites surrounding St. Thomas and the Virgin Islands National Park. Enjoy approximately one hour exploring the colorful reefs at each site. During your cruise enjoy complimentary bottled water, soft drinks, and light snacks. Your boat offers ample shade and freshwater showers. Snorkeling equipment including snorkel vest, professional instruction, supervision, and transportation are included.

I have read excellent reviews for Capt Nautica from snorkelers who booked him as an independent, so I booked him for the back half of my B2B. He's been very flexible about where to stop based on customer preferences. I hope he provides the same experience as a cruise ship provider that he has as an independent operator.

Steve, I think the OP was referring to the Nevis Sail-Away rather than the St. Kitts Sail and Snorkel. This is the description for the trip that includes the beach at Nevis:

WHAT YOU VISIT

Board your catamaran, hoist sail, and cruise to the neighboring island of Nevis. Drop anchor in a secluded cove for a snorkel expedition. Explore the coral gardens and view the rich marine life, including snappers, damsels, trumpetfish, angelfish, and several species of parrotfish. After your snorkel, sail to picturesque Pinney's Beach. Your attentive crew serves complimentary beverages throughout the tour. At the beach the crew prepares a delicious barbecue lunch while you swim or relax in the shade of the palm trees. After lunch your crew sets a course for the leisurely sail back to the ship.

We did the Nevis sailaway and the snorkeling left alot to be desired. I would take the St John trip. :)

Did you enjoy the excursion?

This is one that we're thinking of doing on our St. Kitts stop. It will be our 3rd time to St. Kitts and we've never seen Nevis so I thought this sounded like fun.

Any thoughts for me?

Thanks!

Did you enjoy the excursion?

This is one that we're thinking of doing on our St. Kitts stop. It will be our 3rd time to St. Kitts and we've never seen Nevis so I thought this sounded like fun.

Any thoughts for me?

Thanks!

Yes very much but it filled up fast after being released on the cruise personalizer for booking. Nice lunch and beach stop, you can walk to the Four Seasons next door if you wish. As I said I would not book it for the snorleling though. :)

That is the one I have tried 3 times, twice on the Crown and once on the Emerald and was canceled all 3 times. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I knew cruise critic members always are willing to help out, answer questions, and share their knowledge.

DH and I took the full day St. John catamaran a couple of years ago and are leaning toward a repeat or the 1/2 day sail so we can also see St. Thomas. DH and I have been to St. Thomas 2x and have yet to spend see the downtown shopping area.

Having been told that Bonaire was the one of the best snorkeling islands we've booked snorkeling catamarans there and in Aruba.

DH, friends, and I are debating if we should do the St. Kitts/Nevis sail-away as a relaxing "beach" day given the recommendations for the great beach.

Thanks again for all the recommendations. Hope everyone enjoys their cruises.

Steve, I think the OP was referring to the Nevis Sail-Away rather than the St. Kitts Sail and Snorkel. This is the description for the trip that includes the beach at Nevis:

WHAT YOU VISIT

Board your catamaran, hoist sail, and cruise to the neighboring island of Nevis. Drop anchor in a secluded cove for a snorkel expedition. Explore the coral gardens and view the rich marine life, including snappers, damsels, trumpetfish, angelfish, and several species of parrotfish. After your snorkel, sail to picturesque Pinney's Beach. Your attentive crew serves complimentary beverages throughout the tour. At the beach the crew prepares a delicious barbecue lunch while you swim or relax in the shade of the palm trees. After lunch your crew sets a course for the leisurely sail back to the ship.

Aargh! You're probably correct.

Ah well, I gave them another option. :p

Yes very much but it filled up fast after being released on the cruise personalizer for booking. Nice lunch and beach stop, you can walk to the Four Seasons next door if you wish. As I said I would not book it for the snorleling though. :)

Thanks! I really just want to spend time on the boat and enjoy the beach. Glad to hear that it's next to the Four Seasons as I have so often thought of going here on vacation and would love to check it out.

That's exactly why we went to Nevis -- to scope out the FS for a vacation. I'm really glad we did, because, although it's a gorgeous beach and a beautiful, perfect, resort, Nevis is a little sleepy for me. But, for people who want a very, very relaxed atmosphere and don't mind pretty much staying at the resort the entire time...it would be great. Definitely worth going to Nevis to check out!

Archived