Celeb die-hard trying new line....Help.

twinkletoes915

We LOVE Celebrity, have been 5 times, and my husband has given me a wonderful 40th B-day gift of a transatlantic crossing on the QM2. Any advise from my friends on this board would be much appreciated. We are in the Queens Grill category.

Thanks,

Elly

no advice from me,,,we love Celebrity also, sure you will be happy on the QM2, heard the food isn't as good as X tho...have a great time....;)

Sorry, I had to laugh when I read your post..... 4_1_72.gifhow many of us would jump at the chance for a transatlantic on the QM2 and not give Celebrity a thought!

Now that I am done poking fun at you, isn't it interesting how we do this? We have all these choices, we develope an afinity for one cruiseline and if we book another we feel like tratiors.

I felt the same way the first time we booked Celebrity after sailing Princess. Now granted, about the only thing a Princess ship has in common with the QM2 is both are named for royality...LOL

Hope you get some answers to your question but at least let me wish you a Happy 40th, have a great time.

Here are some comparisons of Celebrity v. QM2 by a Celebrity fan. And, by the way, the QM2 and Celebrity's M-class vessels come from the same shipyard.

Promenade Deck – To me, this is THE most impressive feature of the QM2. It creates a déjà vu moment – remember all those old black-and-white snapshots of passengers out for a stroll in their fancy hats and elegant outfits? A broad wooden wrap-around promenade deck provides all the sea vistas and fresh air you could wish for (one lap is one-third of a mile). The synthetic flooring on Celebrity's M-class ships pales by comparison – perhaps the designers felt the jogging track to be more important.

Buffet Restaurant – Celebrity does it better. The QM2's King's Court stretches along a good part of Deck 7, with different buffets interspersed by narrow seating areas along the walkways between the buffets. If you are lucky enough to find an empty table, your lunch will be disturbed by a continuous stream of passengers searching for a seat. It might also happen that one buffet area runs out of butter or cutlery or something similar, necessitating a long walk to fetch it from the next section. I can't remember having any such difficulties on Celebrity, where the seating areas are divided off from the walkways and there seem to be plenty of tables – and waiters to carry your tray.

Afternoon Tea – This is a delightfully elegant affair on the QM2. Cucumber sandwiches, scones, silverware, delicate porcelain and a solicitous white-gloved waiter encouraging my brother to have another cup (“There's nothing like a nice cup of tea, sir”). Yes, the QM2 knows how to serve afternoon tea. I appreciated those little English touches wherever I encountered them.

Food – I have always been more than happy with the food on Celebrity but felt that it was better on the QM2. Michael Roux really needs to update Celebrity's menus to reflect the changes in taste that have occured over the past decade. The difference lies not so much in the quality of the food but in the fact that the QM2's cuisine is more modern, spicier and the presentation is pleasingly creative. Yes, the portions are smaller. But do you really need great slabs of meat after you have been eating all day anyway? On the QM2 you can enjoy many different courses without feeling stuffed at the end of meal.

Sauna – My husband uses the sauna daily when we take a cruise. Celebrity's M-class ships have wonderfully spacious sauna areas. The sauna on the QM2 is big enough for about 12 people and the steam room for about 6 – and they are mixed. They are within the spa area and the idea seems to be that you either need to have a spa treatment or purchase a day pass in order to use the sauna. Well, the first day he used it so many other passengers had the same idea that the door (which opens onto the T-pool) was being constantly opened and closed. The temperature sank to that of the T-pool area. This basically means that a new, top-of-the-line ship does not offer use of the sauna.

Greetings from Selly

Archived