Local Cuisine - Best eateries off the beating path

cynt

OK locals I need your assistance for some of your favorite hole in the walls, mom's kitchens, uncle Jo's hut, grandma's diners off the beating path. I love seafood. Anything out of the sea is good to me. My favorites - Crab legs, shrimp, salmon, tilapia and oysters on the half shell. Where's your hot spots when you're craving something fishy? Like Rachel Ray says ask the locals for the best restaurants.

Port and Time at port

6/16 Juneau - 12pm - 10pm

6/17 Skagway - 6am - 8:15pm

6/19 Ketchikan - 6am - 12:30pm

6/20 Victoria - 7pm - 11:59pm

Yes, I have the several Alaska magazines/brochures that list numerous restuarants but I want to visit where the locals eat. I want to find at least one or two places to eat at each port. I'm doing things a little backwards. My focus this trip - eating some good fresh Alaskan seafood and touring the town and maybe some ziplining. In a couple of years I'm going to do a two week land tour to really see and explore Alask

I'll be at some ports for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So if you can list 3 spots that would be great. Yes, I know the food on the ship is free but I'm in Alaska - FRESH SEAFOOD. YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! Did I mention that I love crab legs?!?!?!!?

We have about 3 favorite places in Juneau to eat. Downtown, there is Doc Waters located on the wharf very close to where the cruise ships dock, they have good breakfasts and lunches. There's also an excellent pizza place in the wharf building too ( I know it's not sea food, but so good it's worth a mention) Pizza Roma's, we eat there a lot since we do get a lot of sea food at our own home. :)

Another good place that locals eat is called the Sandbar it's located in the valley on Industrial Blvd. (you can ask any local for directions) They have great halibut and fries, it's just a small place, nothing fancy, bar on one side, restaurant on the other. Their prices are probably the best in town too.

Boy do I agree...I love to eat where the locals go. Sometimes we get lucky by asking a cop where to eat.

How about some places on the land part.

Any suggestions for Fairbanks, Talkeetna, Anchorage?

We were in Alyeska several years ago and were unable to get a servation for the dinning on the top of the Mountain.. called Seven Glaciers. I sent an email requesting a reservation for this September (I thought they would laugh at me and tell me it was too soon) and they told me the night I requested had only two times available..6:45 and 8pm. Can you believe it! So we took the 8pm, we might as well get used to eating late since we have the late dining time on the ship.

I remember eating an awesome breakfast in Talkeetna at a place that I believe was called the Roadhouse. Awesome pancakes. Not sure if its still there.

Boy do I agree...I love to eat where the locals go. Sometimes we get lucky by asking a cop where to eat.

How about some places on the land part.

Any suggestions for Fairbanks, Talkeetna, Anchorage?

We were in Alyeska several years ago and were unable to get a servation for the dinning on the top of the Mountain.. called Seven Glaciers. I sent an email requesting a reservation for this September (I thought they would laugh at me and tell me it was too soon) and they told me the night I requested had only two times available..6:45 and 8pm. Can you believe it! So we took the 8pm, we might as well get used to eating late since we have the late dining time on the ship.

I remember eating an awesome breakfast in Talkeetna at a place that I believe was called the Roadhouse. Awesome pancakes. Not sure if its still there.

Yes the Talkeetna Roadhouse is still there. :) In Fairbanks- I like the Turtle Club, but you do need a car. Farther out is Chatanika Lodge, IF I can get there right when it opens- the Pioneer Park Salmon bake is very good, works out great with going to the Palace Theater show later, Geraldo’s. Anchorage- I like Moose's tooth pizza, Snow's Cafe and the Glacier Brewhouse. Many many excellent choices available. :)

Ketchikan has a nice booth at the dock that sells excellent halibut. :)

In Juneau, I like Thane Ore House for salmon, Twisted Fish is excellent right on the dock near the tram.

Archived