Alaska Cruisetour - Island or Coral?

Texas Tillie

I'm planning an Alaska cruisetour for August, 2008. Have determined that the Copper River Explorer from Anchorage has the best of what I want to see. Now I need to select a ship for the cruise part. Background, I am 61 and not an "old lady", but not a party animal either. This will be my third cruise - last August on the HAL Volendam from Seward to Vancouver after a land tour (not from the cruise line) and a 7 day Western Caribbean this past November on the Crystal Symphony. I know it's going to be a little difficult to "regress" after Crystal - but for Alaska this will work. (And there is that little thing called $$$!) I generally liked HAL and found the size of the Volendam to be just about right. Since the Island and the Coral are the "smallest" ships Princess offers on the southbound route, I'm looking at both. They seem to be identical, but it appears from what I've read here on CC and other places that the Island gets slightly higher ratings. I'm open for any suggestions! Thanks!

I have been on both, the Island for Alaska and the Coral for the Panama Canal. Really could not see any difference between them. The layout was exactly the same.

Others on the CC board rate the Coral as the best due to crew, ambiance, etc.

Took an Alaskan cruise tour on the Island this past September. It was great!! I met quite a few passengers who had been on both ships and the comments were: identical in lay-out and also in service.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll be going with the Island because the date is better. Once I get with my TA it all could change. I'm planning on a mini-suite. I see that the AF does not have the verandah. If I do an AE guarantee, how often (if ever) does Princess upgrade you to an AC or better?

If I do an AE guarantee, how often (if ever) does Princess upgrade you to an AC or better?

In Alaska probaly not that often as the sailings will usually fill up to capacity. If you know a particular cabin that you want then grab it, otherwise get the gty and hope for the best. ;)

Archived