Queen Victoria slow ship

David21

Gee, "Queen Victoria" does end in an "ia" so Cunard's newest ship satisfies both naming traditions. (I know, I know, that's not what you meant by recommending an "ia" name.) I think a ship with a slower speed affects the itineraries she can sail, but I do not think it dilutes the Cunard brand by having a 22 knot ship, rather than a 25 knot ship, or even a cruise ship instead of an oceanliner. The design of the interior of the ship, the nature of the activities (giant libraries and lectures and plays instead of rock climbing walls and surfing), and the British ambience all distinquish Cunard from the other Carnival Corp. cruise lines. I was disappointed that the outside of the Queen Victoria (from photos, I have not seen her) looks too much like other ships, whereas the QM2 and QE2 were unique, but photos of the interior show me she is definitely a Cunard ship. I'm looking forward to sailing her some day.

Gee, "Queen Victoria" does end in an "ia" so Cunard's newest ship satisfies both naming traditions. (I know, I know, that's not what you meant by recommending an "ia" name.) I think a ship with a slower speed affects the itineraries she can sail, but I do not think it dilutes the Cunard brand by having a 22 knot ship, rather than a 25 knot ship, or even a cruise ship instead of an oceanliner.

1st point! true! <LOL>

2nd point- I agree. When I first cruised on Cunard, the fleet consisted of the Cunard Crown series (Princess, Countess, Crown Jewel, Dynasty and I always forget the other one) the Sagafjord and the Vistafjord, QE2, Sea Goddess I and II. the Sea Goddesses were considered "Super yachts" I suspect they went nowhere near 25 kts, and were considered ultra luxury (very expensive, as were the *-fjords) but were (at the time) considered very much Cunard marque (in the definition of brand names)

I suspect if they launched a luxury sailing ship (e.g., one with SAILS) it would be quite slow in comparison, but still very much a Cunard ship!

and wouldn't I LOVE to SAIL across the ocean in one! What an adventure THAT would be!

Karie

Technically, Carnival was trying to honor Cunard's heritage by buying it in the first place. They intended originally to ride the "Titanic Mania" wave all the way out- note how the QM2 was drawn up after the movie was released.

Of course, I would like for them to honor White Star as well, another Olympic would be fantastic, but alas, it's not meant to be. Maybe they could at least fly the White Star burgee again?

Technically, Carnival was trying to honor Cunard's heritage by buying it in the first place. They intended originally to ride the "Titanic Mania" wave all the way out- note how the QM2 was drawn up after the movie was released.

I find it interesting that Cunard never mentioned White Star until after the T movie came out. And then, suddenly, they were "Cunard White Star." A lot of people think Titanic was a Cunarder.

Kathy

Archived