Mendenhall glacier question

dhmom99

I am a little confused here. Is there a fee to visit mendenhall glaciers? Someone said it is free. But someone mentioned $3 admission fee. I know it is not a big deal. But I don't want to get embarassed when walking into the park without paying the proper fee. Thank you.

I believe those who take tours that stop at the glacier get into the Visitors Center for free. I see them handing over a big yellow plastic tag. The $6 shuttle wouldn't be included in that, just Grayline, Princess tours, that sort of thing.

The visitors center has a film explaining how the glacier works, and exhibits, many kid-friendly.

But it's possible to visit the gift shop without paying and the rangers will answer any questions. There's also plaques outside explaining glaciers, so it's not necessary to pony up the $3. It is nice and warm if it's a cold, wet day, though.

In the past, some of the independent Mendenhall TOUR buses at the dock, not the shuttle also included admission. Verify this directly.

You can walk through the Visitor Center, the pay section is on the left with the exhibits, movie- also pay required on the right. Elevators ahead. But out the "back" door, is the trail heads for some of the hiking, Trail of Time and East Loop.

I note that it was mentioned that there are shuttles you can take to the glacier that are by the pier. Can someone elaborate on this? My concern with the excursion is that we may not have as much time as we want at this site. How often do the shuttles run? Cost? How much time should we allow for travel to and from? How far from the drop off is the actual glacier? Don't want to miss the ship, but don't want to miss the glacier either!

I note that it was mentioned that there are shuttles you can take to the glacier that are by the pier. Can someone elaborate on this? My concern with the excursion is that we may not have as much time as we want at this site. How often do the shuttles run? Cost? How much time should we allow for travel to and from? How far from the drop off is the actual glacier? Don't want to miss the ship, but don't want to miss the glacier either!

Most TOURS only give about 30-45 minutes at Mendenhall, more than enough time, IF you don't want hiking.

The shuttle buses leave pretty frequently, at least every 30 minutes in peak season. There is pick up and booths for ticket purchase next to the tram. Reports are that this will be $12.50 round trip this year.

It is a 20 min. ride to Mendenhall.

There can be SIGNIFICANT lines and waits for the return. A couple years ago, I was in line and waited through 4 buses. So do not cut this to short. There is a cab line, so that is an option if you do have to get back and prefer to max out your time at Mendenhall.

It is a short walk to the glacier. Then another short walk if you want closer viewing via the Photo Point trail.

Roughly how much is the cab fare to Mendenhall Glacier and back? We have six people in our group, so does the fare for two cabs cost less than the shuttle bus?

I'd say it's about $25 each way, although prices may creep up this year with fuel prices the way they are. The cabs advertise touring rates, so you may do better with that choice. There are a lot of van cabs downtown and that should be enough room for 6 people. You can pick up a cab in front of The Red Dog Saloon. Has anyone seen a cab station anywhere else?

If I will have already gone to exit glacier is it worth it to go to mendehall as well after our Harv and marv tour or is there something else in town we can do? the boat leaves early from juneau, 2pm I think.

If I will have already gone to exit glacier is it worth it to go to mendehall as well after our Harv and marv tour or is there something else in town we can do? the boat leaves early from juneau, 2pm I think.

If you are going to Exit, then you can skip Mendenhall and do something else of interest. Juneau is a great walking city. Mt Roberts is worthwhile, plenty else too. :) Shopping is always available. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I know this might be a "bad" question, but would Mendenhall be considered a "must see"? This is our first Alaskan cruise and I do want to try to see and do as much as possible but if we can't fit it into our schedule (which is not planned out yet) would we be disappointed? I did also get the impression that going to Mendenhall can be decided when we get there, correct? And it sounds like just taking a bus up there is alot cheaper than doing the excursion thru Princess. Are the buses and ticket booths easy to find? Are they located within walking distance from where the ships are?

Thanks for your help. I'm kind of the tour guide for 6 people on this cruise so I want to try and get as much as I can get.

Ok, I know this might be a "bad" question, but would Mendenhall be considered a "must see"? This is our first Alaskan cruise and I do want to try to see and do as much as possible but if we can't fit it into our schedule (which is not planned out yet) would we be disappointed? I did also get the impression that going to Mendenhall can be decided when we get there, correct? And it sounds like just taking a bus up there is alot cheaper than doing the excursion thru Princess. Are the buses and ticket booths easy to find? Are they located within walking distance from where the ships are?

Thanks for your help. I'm kind of the tour guide for 6 people on this cruise so I want to try and get as much as I can get.

Mendenhall, is simple and easy to get to, but on a glacier scale :) there are plenty of better glaciers. :) IF you have a sailing with your cruise ship of Glacier Bay or Hubbard, then most probably you can skip this in place of other interests. But this is a great option for back up plans and shuttle tickets are right at the dock, in booths, next to the tram.

It depends on how many people you have there. For a party of 6, it would have costed us almost $80 to ride the shuttle there and back. Instead, we rented a van from RAW for $120 with gas. We ended up going to more places than we had previously planned. Mendenhall glacier is a very nice place to view glacier and learn about the glaciers.

• 3 months later...
There can be SIGNIFICANT lines and waits for the return. A couple years ago, I was in line and waited through 4 buses. So do not cut this to short.

Is there only one shuttle bus line that services Mendenhall Glacier? If there are several, is there a less busy one?

I'm not sure these are the prices for 2008/9 so verify, but here is the scoop. There are tons of other ports where you can take excursions to see Glaciers, however this is the easiest self guided and inexpensive one.

Mendenhall Glacier, a 20 minute drive from downtown, is the most accessible glacier to any town on the Inside Passage. Once there you see the visitor's center, the glacier and its lake. There are some spectacular hiking trails and park rangers offer guided hikes. Be alert if setting off on your own as bears are common in this area and some trails may be closed.

If you take a tour bus that sticks to its schedule, you'll only have about 45 minutes at the glacier before heading back. It's worth staying longer to maneuver around to the spectacular waterfalls on the right of the glacier, getting close enough to feel the spray coming down.

Ways to get there:

Take a guided Tour. $15 & up….check dock side visitors center for information.

Shuttle Bus $5.00 each way

A shuttle bus departs from outside the tramway to the glacier. $5.00 each way. this reason.

City Bus: $1.50 adults; seniors, disabled and children under 5 : Free.

The bus goes within 1 mi/2 km of the visitors center every 30 minutes and the walk is a fairly level path.

If you are a larger group, you may want to consider renting a van… which may be more convenient but needs to be done in advance

The visitor center at the Mendenahall Glacier is a Federal Park- it costs $3.00 to go into the viewing area- but...if you have a Golden Age Pass- there is no charge for you and your family. If you are 62 or older and do not have a Golden Age Pass, you can purchase one there and it is good for your life to get into all Federal or National parks throughout the US -

http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm will explain the program

there is no charge to view, hike or walk the trails.

Ruth

Is there only one shuttle bus line that services Mendenhall Glacier? If there are several, is there a less busy one?

No, there are a few companies, but there isn't a "less" busy one. You line up, get on a bus. I pay the driver of the bus I get on at Mendenhall. Several years ago, they took each other's tickets. Verify current policies.

i totally understand the dilemma with trying to make the most of the time in Juneau....our ship is supposed be in the port from 12p to 10p i would like to see Mendenhall glacier and do a whale watching tour - any advice on how to coordinate this?

Depending on how you are arriving in Alaska and the tour bus driver mentality of your pilot, you may see Denali on the right side and Mendenhall glacier on the left side of the plane. We were headed to Anchorage from Minneapolis and saw both.

We were sitting next to a 12 year old who was busy playing a video game when we were watching the glacier. I told him to look out the window. He did and said, "what's the big deal. It's a high way." I told him to look again and tell me if he saw any traffic! His eyes lit up when I told him it was a glacier. He was not headed to Alaska except as a stopping point for a cruise out of Hawaii! So he had an unexpected treat. Hope some of you will, too.

Then when we did dog muishing on a glacier out of Juneau we flew directly over Mendenhall to the M. ice field where the dogs were. So although I've not yet seen it from the ground, I've seen it twice from the air (different elevations made it a different experience each time).

what is better the guided tour for 15.00 or the shuttle and do our own thing. How much time should we allow for Mendenhall?

I'd love to know where you found a guided tour for $15. Does that include transportation from the dock? That's only one dollar more than the shuttle. Do tell.

No, there are a few companies, but there isn't a "less" busy one. You line up, get on a bus. I pay the driver of the bus I get on at Mendenhall. Several years ago, they took each other's tickets. Verify current policies.

When you say you pay the driver of the bus you get on at Mendenhall, does that mean you do not buy a round trip ticket? Just pay the driver going and then pay a possibily different company's driver coming back? Is there a risk of not being able to come back without a round trip ticket if all of the return buses are always full?

Archived