Mendenhall glacier question

dhmom99

When you say you pay the driver of the bus you get on at Mendenhall, does that mean you do not buy a round trip ticket? Just pay the driver going and then pay a possibily different company's driver coming back? Is there a risk of not being able to come back without a round trip ticket if all of the return buses are always full?

Correct, I only buy one ticket in Juneau. As stated, you line up get on a bus, hand the driver your ticket or money. You get no priority if you have a ticket.

I'd love to know where you found a guided tour for $15. Does that include transportation from the dock? That's only one dollar more than the shuttle. Do tell.

They are now about $25.

i totally understand the dilemma with trying to make the most of the time in Juneau....our ship is supposed be in the port from 12p to 10p i would like to see Mendenhall glacier and do a whale watching tour - any advice on how to coordinate this?

You can book a ship combo tour, or superior would be to book an independent whale watch with a Mendenhall pick up/drop off, scheduled ahead. You would then just take back a shuttle bus, which now is in the $7 pp range.

Most people are ready to leave within an hour. If into hiking then add more time.

Correct, I only buy one ticket in Juneau. As stated, you line up get on a bus, hand the driver your ticket or money. You get no priority if you have a ticket.

That is valuable information to be able to stand in the shortest line on the return trip. Thanks much.

Skygliders

That is valuable information to be able to stand in the shortest line on the return trip. Thanks much.

Skygliders

Sorry, I don't follow you. How do we get to pick the shortest line other than getting into it?????? If you can either hand the driver your ticket or hand him money, what is the difference in line length? Oh, or is there a booth there to buy tickets as well as at the tram in town? Are there several "stations" around a bus curb or something? Or do you walk across the parking lot to where the shuttle dropped you off? Please clarify what you mean. Thanks

Sorry, I don't follow you. How do we get to pick the shortest line other than getting into it?????? If you can either hand the driver your ticket or hand him money, what is the difference in line length? Oh, or is there a booth there to buy tickets as well as at the tram in town? Are there several "stations" around a bus curb or something? Or do you walk across the parking lot to where the shuttle dropped you off? Please clarify what you mean. Thanks

There is no ticket booth at Mendenhall. The pick up is from the parking lot on the left as you come in. The shuttle driver should point it out to you. In the past, there was one line for bus reboarding. Twice for me, there were probably 150 people in line as I had to wait through about 4 buses. At that time, the drivers took any tickets. I said to verify this with current policy, which you should do when you purchase the shuttle ticket at the tram dock. Last first hand experience with this was the 2006 season.

There is no ticket booth at Mendenhall. The pick up is from the parking lot on the left as you come in. The shuttle driver should point it out to you. In the past, there was one line for bus reboarding. Twice for me, there were probably 150 people in line as I had to wait through about 4 buses. At that time, the drivers took any tickets. I said to verify this with current policy, which you should do when you purchase the shuttle ticket at the tram dock. Last first hand experience with this was the 2006 season.

Flashdog,

I thought since there were several different bus companies, there would be a line for each company. Folks who bought a round trip ticket would be locked into going into that company's return trip line regardless of how long it was. By buying a one-way ticket to Mendenhall, then on the return trip one could just look at which line was the shortest, get into that line, and pay the bus driver when boarding.

From Budget Queen's response to you, it looks like my assumtion is wrong and there is only one line. So I guess buying a RT ticket would be cheaper than two one-way tickets and the return trip wait would be the same regardless. I hope my new assumption is correct.

Skyglider

Mighty Great Trips has a 2.5-hour bus tour that is $27/pp. They also run a bus to Mendenhall Glacier for $14 roundtrip: http://mightygreattrips.com/se_alaska_shore_excursions.htm

Does this mean there is a separate line for MGT's tour's return trip from Mendenhall with no 150 people in front and no waiting through 4 buses?

IOW, at the end of the Mendenhall tour (maybe 1.5 hours), the tour group meets at a pickup point and boards the bus with no waiting?

Skyglider

Does this mean there is a separate line for MGT's tour's return trip from Mendenhall with no 150 people in front and no waiting through 4 buses?

IOW, at the end of the Mendenhall tour (maybe 1.5 hours), the tour group meets at a pickup point and boards the bus with no waiting?

Skyglider

I haven't taken the tour - but they spend about 45 minutes at Mendenhall Glacier. The tour bus is only for the people on the tour. With the shuttle bus - you can stay as long as you like at Mendenhall Glacier.

The price of the shuttle bus is the same whether paid for as a roundtrip or two one-ways.

I haven't taken the tour - but they spend about 45 minutes at Mendenhall Glacier. The tour bus is only for the people on the tour. With the shuttle bus - you can stay as long as you like at Mendenhall Glacier.

The price of the shuttle bus is the same whether paid for as a roundtrip or two one-ways.

Thanks all. We're off to the airport in one hour.:D

Skygliders

Skyglider

You stay with the SAME bus and tour guide, no line or others getting on a Mendenhall.

Archived