Time from Ft. Lauderdale port to airport...early morning flight!

Waimea'sMom

Hi all, I'm not familiar with the Ft. Lauderdale area and I have an 11am flight on the day I disembark. I know that we are going to do the self disembarkation since we only have one bag each...and usually that gets us off around 8 or 9 a.m. I'm a little nervous about making my Southwest flight. Anyone know how busy the airport is at that time of day and about how long it should take to get us to the airport (since we don't have to claim luggage at the pier)?

Hi all' date=' I'm not familiar with the Ft. Lauderdale area and I have an 11am flight on the day I disembark. I know that we are going to do the self disembarkation since we only have one bag each...and usually that gets us off around 8 or 9 a.m. I'm a little nervous about making my Southwest flight. Anyone know how busy the airport is at that time of day and about how long it should take to get us to the airport (since we don't have to claim luggage at the pier)?[/quote']

You'll be fine with that timing. We self disembarked in San Pedro, Ca. last month and we were off the ship at 7:45am.

Not to worry....Jeanne:D

We just got off the Millennium on Sunday. We used the self debarkation option and were off the ship at 0830 and at the airport by 0850. Checkin and security were not an issue and were were at the gate around 0920. This for a 1040 departure.

On Jan 13th, with many ships in port, we had a flight at 10:55, as we have done for at least the last 7 cruises, various ships....never a problem. This time we were on the Westerdam. We didn't do self disembark, but had early off luggage tags. We left the ship at 9, got a taxi, and were checked in (JetBlue) by 9:25. We had time to get coffee, a paper, etc., and waited until almost 10:30 to go through security to the gate (we're smokers.)

There was absolutely no problem. We could have been at the gate by 9:35. The large crowds start later, with all the people that think they can't make an early flight, so they book the later ones and use the ship's transfer (what a waste of money...cab is cheaper and so much easier!)

Judy

....with all the people that think they can't make an early flight, so they book the later ones ......

Shhh Judy, you let the cat out of the bag, now it's going to become crowded before 1pm.

Shhh Judy, you let the cat out of the bag, now it's going to become crowded before 1pm.

Bequia, you are so right, but I do have to admit that with each cruise I still have the worry in the back of my mind about the ship clearing customs in time, etc. Our only options for our non stop flight on JetBlue are at 10:55 or we wait until around 5 PM. We take our chances for the early flight and so far, so good.

So: for all of you that don't want that worry and have the option for a 1 or 2 PM flight, just book that and have no worry. But still take a cab! The cruise line transfers are a hassle and are not a value in FLL! The port is right next door to the airport!

Judy

Archived